• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new toys did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos you say?
Well ok then, here's con1's 6800GS that arrived here a few days ago...

6800GSvmod.jpg

Got some CD drives, an i5-2400 and 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 from the Egg.

Last week got 3 cases (cheap ones) and a coupla motherboards, including my new ASUS Max IV Gene-Z.

Building computers for family members for Christmas.

Oh yeah.... and my new 42" 120Hz 1080p LCD for use exclusively as my new desktop monitor. :D

Got some CD drives, an i5-2400 and 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 from the Egg.

Last week got 3 cases (cheap ones) and a coupla motherboards, including my new ASUS Max IV Gene-Z.

Building computers for family members for Christmas.

Oh yeah.... and my new 42" 120Hz 1080p LCD for use exclusively as my new desktop monitor. :D

I thought about getting a 42" due to the price being about the same as a 32", but decided 42" would be just too big to sit close to. How do you find it? I'm finding 32" to be plenty big enough. Likewise, mines exclusively for use as a monitor on my gaming/main rig.

I thought about getting a 42" due to the price being about the same as a 32", but decided 42" would be just too big to sit close to. How do you find it? I'm finding 32" to be plenty big enough. Likewise, mines exclusively for use as a monitor on my gaming/main rig.

Well, it is big... and I mean BIG. I haven't hooked it up yet, it's still sitting in my truck, as I'm away from home for the time being. I stopped to pick it up at an open-box shop on my way to work this weekend. I would have gone with another 32 or 37, but they didn't have any on-hand that were 1080p at the time. Probably will get to hook it up Wednesday.

Previously I used a 37" for a few weeks, but it went out. If the 42 turns out to be TOO big, I might pull it off the wall and go back to a 32", which really ought to be plenty big. In that case, I'll give the 42" to my mom for use in her living room.

I chose a single-screen large-format monitor because my desk area isn't big enough to fit triple 24s, so I thought a single large-format would be a good compromise. I know Skyrim was total awesomeness on my 37". Talk about immersion... sitting 18-24" from a screen that large leads to total immersion. :D I am a little worried about neck or eystrain, so I may need to move it down a bit. The 37 was sitting on my desk, which was a bit high... we shall see. i'd be willing to change out my desk to help with this if I need to... in which case I could have gone with 3 24" anyways, but I'd need to get a 2nd GTX580 to run 3 panoramic screens.

It gets complicated.... <sigh>

Well, it is big... and I mean BIG. I haven't hooked it up yet, it's still sitting in my truck, as I'm away from home for the time being. I stopped to pick it up at an open-box shop on my way to work this weekend. I would have gone with another 32 or 37, but they didn't have any on-hand that were 1080p at the time. Probably will get to hook it up Wednesday.

Previously I used a 37" for a few weeks, but it went out. If the 42 turns out to be TOO big, I might pull it off the wall and go back to a 32", which really ought to be plenty big. In that case, I'll give the 42" to my mom for use in her living room.

I chose a single-screen large-format monitor because my desk area isn't big enough to fit triple 24s, so I thought a single large-format would be a good compromise. I know Skyrim was total awesomeness on my 37". Talk about immersion... sitting 18-24" from a screen that large leads to total immersion. :D I am a little worried about neck or eystrain, so I may need to move it down a bit. The 37 was sitting on my desk, which was a bit high... we shall see. i'd be willing to change out my desk to help with this if I need to... in which case I could have gone with 3 24" anyways, but I'd need to get a 2nd GTX580 to run 3 panoramic screens.

It gets complicated.... <sigh>

Thats one sweet case you're running there too. Some Rosewill cases are outright droolworthy. Wish we had them in Australia.

Lol, I know what you mean. I prefer 1x large screen to 3x screens due to the high processing and cost requirement to run 3x screens. Likewise, I don't have the desk space. The computer is at the end of my bed. Makes it good for watching movies from too. :D

To run 3x screens I need:

a) a bigger PSU to run 2x video cards
b) a bigger desk and surround space
c) another card, and video cards aren't cheap

I agree, i do love that Rosewill case. It got damaged in shipping, so it's a little tweaked, but overall it is a phenomenal case, I think.

But oh my GOD, is it HEAVY!

I seriously hurt my back last week when swapping out MBs... doing all the twisting, turning, lifting, flipping and such to get the cables routed well, man for an hour or two afterwards, my back and shoulder were really killing me!

Thankfully, I have Scotch. :D

Yup, beer and scotch save us from many evils. Let's all raise out glasses to: Scotch ;)

Problem there is once you hurt your back it usually takes at least a month to recover....

I tried the 42in for awhile, and while it was great, the hard part was text in windows and on the web. Everything else, games, movies and the like was perfect at 1080.....also works great for livestreams, people can actually read your screen while benching heh.

I went back to my single 21incher. Really craving an eyefinity setup now....
*edit*

Scratch that, im stuck debating between an eyefinity setup + a 6950,(and grabbing another 6950 later) or a 7970 and then purchase the monitors later.

Last edited:
Last week I got me a Thermalright MUX-120 Black courtesy of muddocktor :D

Also awaiting on a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ;)

It's very rare I get brand spankin' new toys as my funds are limited. The MUX-120 is brand new, but the UD3R is used. I'm still happy.

OOps, forgot to mention I'm also awaiting on a Coolermaster Cosmos case too :)

waterblock.jpg

Arrived today!

I received the 1366 backing plate from FrozenCPU last week. Exciting (for me)!

Just need tubing, a res, and some clamps I guess!

Today I received....darkness!

kpc-f1dark-01.JPG

kpc-f1dark-02.JPG

kpc-f1dark-03.JPG

kpc-f1dark-04.JPG

Full review to come sometime after the New Year! :attn:

(I also need to find something black to take photos on; my white 'studio' doesn't do this thing justice.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back