Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cheap DDR3 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by cw823 View Post
    Will x58 accept 8Gb DIMMS? Seeing the max is 24Gb I was guessing that meant 6x4Gb
    Not that I know of--I warned someone earlier in this thread about that one!

All that I can think of are max of 4GB DIMM density. Even the SR2 only goes 4GB
    Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W
    Mobo: ASUS P9X79
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.8 GHz
    Memory: 32 Gb DDR3 2400 RAM, G.Skill Rip Jaws Z Series, 1.5v
    Video: GTX 690 4Gb
    Storage: LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i, 4X 240Gb Kingston HyperX SSD, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 1

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by cw823 View Post
    Will x58 accept 8Gb DIMMS? Seeing the max is 24Gb I was guessing that meant 6x4Gb
    Quote Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
    Not that I know of--I warned someone earlier in this thread about that one!

All that I can think of are max of 4GB DIMM density. Even the SR2 only goes 4GB
    It's official support is 24gb, but many report it works fine with 48gb as well. Either way it doesn't matter to me. I have two other machines they will work in if the x58 won't run them. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/30...b-confirmation and if you google, you'll see MANY reports of other x58 users running 48gb as well.

Ill be sure to post screens after they get here though, I have faith they'll work just fine. I've never paid much attention to "official supported lists" anyway. I've had many things work just fine when they weren't supposed to.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    SR2 can go over 48gb as well: http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=465741

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Not to mention the Rampage III Black Edition is an x58 and is listed by Asus as supporting 48gb: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...Black_Edition/

Point being, the microcode is out there so odds are it will work fine. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

No doubt you can put in as high density sticks as you dare... Sure, it may work, but it may not.

I was only speaking from experience, since I've had issues with RAM in the past, both that which is on the QVL and not... One of those "buyer beware" things...
    Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W
    Mobo: ASUS P9X79
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.8 GHz
    Memory: 32 Gb DDR3 2400 RAM, G.Skill Rip Jaws Z Series, 1.5v
    Video: GTX 690 4Gb
    Storage: LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i, 4X 240Gb Kingston HyperX SSD, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 1

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Oh i know, but i'm more of the try it first mentality since i've had really good luck with it. ;-)

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
    No doubt you can put in as high density sticks as you dare... Sure, it may work, but it may not.

I was only speaking from experience, since I've had issues with RAM in the past, both that which is on the QVL and not... One of those "buyer beware" things...
    As suspected, it works fine:

Way Too Jealous Member Supertrucker's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Got my ram in today, random bluescreens during heavy gaming/prime95 blend, set manual timings, tried auto timings, even with a bit of added voltage i cant run blend for more than an hour. Gonna have to rma and hope it was defective ram and not a motherboard incompatibility.
    5820k @4250 Asus X99 Deluxe
    Crossfire R9 290 @ 1100/1300
    Catleap 2560x1440 IPS w/120hz pcb
    DT770 pro

Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillbot View Post
    As suspected, it works fine:
    With Gulftown that has better IMC than Bloomfields ... Asus is related to memory issues . Maybe thats why they have MemOK buttons and options in BIOS to recheck memory slots. I just wouldn't count that 24 or 48GB is going to work fine on boards that have problems with 12GB. Maybe it will work, I'm not saying that not but it's quite risky with 8GB sticks that aren't cheap

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Woomack View Post
    With Gulftown that has better IMC than Bloomfields ... Asus is related to memory issues . Maybe thats why they have MemOK buttons and options in BIOS to recheck memory slots. I just wouldn't count that 24 or 48GB is going to work fine on boards that have problems with 12GB. Maybe it will work, I'm not saying that not but it's quite risky with 8GB sticks that aren't cheap
    I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. This was mostly for those assuming it wouldn't even post or work at all.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Unstuck thread, I'm not clear on what the "cyber deal" is by skimming the first several and last several posts so this probably doesn't warrant a sticky any longer.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

For a while, there was a flood of cheap DDR3 kits. Since then, not as much...
    [HEAT] - Sony SZ650 /// T7500 /// 3 GB ram /// 8400M GS /// OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ded :(

10 Year Badge
    Ahh, gotcha. Thanks!
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Not sure if this is very hot, but I know 8GB sticks were being discussed earlier:

http://www.frys.com/ads/page28

Patriot DDR3 32GB 1600MHz 4x8GB Modules Quad Memory $230-20 rebate = $210
    http://www.frys.com/product/6980187?...MORY_042612_02
    [HEAT] - Sony SZ650 /// T7500 /// 3 GB ram /// 8400M GS /// OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ded :(

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 04-26-12 at 11:41 PM. Reason: removed techbargains referral code
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/

10 Year Badge
    It seems like these don't come up that often anymore... I think some of these deals would be better in their own threads maybe? I know thread titles with prices make me click more. Especially that one Chad, thats a hot one.
    The OC Forums Way

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    It seems like these don't come up that often anymore... I think some of these deals would be better in their own threads maybe? I know thread titles with prices make me click more. Especially that one Chad, thats a hot one.
    Yeah this thread was stickied for a while when there were deals right and left, I should've made a separate thread. Did I need some DDR3? No. Did I buy some DDR3? You betcha
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/

10 Year Badge
    Lol lot of ddr addicts around here... Seems like everyone has more sticks than they need, except for me. I hobble along with what I got for RAM, and just buy everything else in volume
    The OC Forums Way

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Lol lot of ddr addicts around here... Seems like everyone has more sticks than they need, except for me. I hobble along with what I got for RAM, and just buy everything else in volume
    I have 48gb (6x8gb) in my x58 rig that I rarely use and just sold off the 24gb (6x4gb) I took out of it. At one time I had about thirty sticks of ram laying around because when it went on sale at a really low price, I bought it.

As soon as the 8gb sticks drop again, I'll probably pick up another 48GB (6x8gb) to split between my server and HTPC just because. That will replace the 2x4gb in the server (only 2 slots ) and 4x4gb in the HTPC. All my machines will have 8gb sticks, including my laptop. Why? Because WHY NOT!

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillbot View Post
    I have 48gb (6x8gb) in my x58 rig that I rarely use and just sold off the 24gb (6x4gb) I took out of it. At one time I had about thirty sticks of ram laying around because when it went on sale at a really low price, I bought it.

As soon as the 8gb sticks drop again, I'll probably pick up another 48GB (6x8gb) to split between my server and HTPC just because. That will replace the 2x4gb in the server (only 2 slots ) and 4x4gb in the HTPC. All my machines will have 8gb sticks, including my laptop. Why? Because WHY NOT!
    Well it does cost alot of money would be a reason lol
    Main Rig:
    Cpu: i5-3570k 4.4 @ 1.36 Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Ram: 8GB 1600 mhz G. Skill ram GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 7950 HDD: 2 Raid 0X320 gb 7200rpm 1X2tb 5900rpm SSD: 128gb Crucial M4 Dvd: Blue Ray Super Drive Case: Corsair 300r HSF: Hyper 212+ (P/P) PSU: OCZ ZT 650 Watt psu Monitors: 23" LG IPS 1080p 20.6" LG LCD 1680X1050

Lenovo Y510P:
    Cpu: i7 4700MQ Ram: 8GB 1600 mhz GPU: SLI 755m HDD: 1tb 5400 RPM SSD: 8gb MSSD (ISRT)

A relationship with a moderator is no different than one with a woman. If you start doing stuff and treating them nice, they develop expectations. It's all down hill from there.-I.M.O.G

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast