• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going "cold" Tonight GTX470

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Got my ghetto rigged semi-sub ambient apparatus installed and fired up.
GPU normally idles around 68*c with fan at 45%. It is now sitting at 16*c with 45% fan speed.

Parts list for said apparatus:
-3"x5' flexible duct
-roll of gorilla tape
-BFF (high cfm fan)
-fan extension

I used the box from the duct as a make shift reducer from the fan to the duct.
And here it is!

utf-8BSU1BRzE3NjAuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzE3NTguanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzE3NTkuanBn.jpg

Attachments

• 470cold.JPG
    470cold.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 137
My question is...
Why is there not a second contraption on the GPU side? Make a cardboard shroud for that side and make it a fully closed air duct. That way you minimize the waste of cold air and channel it all through the heatsink.

Well tonight went well. Got some nice clocks and scores.
Wouldnt run 900/1000 and kept crashing the whole rig. So not sure if I need more voltage or what.

Previous Heaven DX9 best:
heaven472-1.jpg

New Best:
heaven475.jpg

Previous Heaven DX11 best:
heaven474-1.jpg

New Best:
heaven479.jpg

You have to keep gpu at no more than 50*C under load to keep stability up to 900MHz. Above 900MHz it's like each 10MHz higher needs ~10*C less. Making it run @950MHz needed load temp near 20*C. If you are running it on cold air/water then you have to keep balance between voltage and temp for best results. 1.15V should let you make 900MHz , about 1.2V up to 950MHz what also depends from card quality and temps.
Without mods you wont pass 900MHz and you need at least ocp mod. Here you have my tutorial with info about mods.

Back