• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG PC Desk ***IT HAS ARRIVED***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madengineer

Its in parts right now, cause we couldnt get it into my Unit in 1 piece :p (Too wide)

So, today comes pics of it in almost complete state.

Next monday i plan to buy the paint.

Just a quick question regarding that though, Should i use Enamel based or Water based paint? It obviously needs an undercoat...Just trying to determine the best paint type.

The colour is going to be Blue and Silver or Blue and Black. Just havent decided yet :S

Now pics :D

This Picture shows one of the Ends, Equiped with 3 120mm*120mm Cutouts, This will hopefully allow for a wind tunnel effect. The legs measure 1700mm high, and the foot measures 1200mm wide.

Pic6.jpg

This shows it how it will eventually look. I cant put it together completely untill i have it in its Final location. It weighs quite abit and is too large to fit through the door to any house/Unit.

Pic5.jpg

This is the over-Hang that sits on the top of the Legs. So that most of the pressure is exerted on the legs going down, rather then all the weight on screws drilled in from the sides.

Pic4.jpg

Cut out for a single PSU (May need to be adjusted later on to accomodate large (In size) PSUs)

Pic3.jpg

View from the top, The large Cut out will accomodate a Glass Pane that i already have, It measures 300*600mm. Directly underneath it i plan to place the Motherboard and other components.

Pic2.jpg

Overall i think its great, All be it maybe a little high. But if need be, i can always decrease its height. So as said, its a work in progress. I plan to have it painted by the end of next week. And shortly after then, give it a test run with a PC inside it. Eventually, I want to equip it with a full Water custom loop.

If that is MDF, I hope you bought 2x the amount of paint you will need. MDF is part sponge I think.

If it is MDF though, you never want to use a water based paint.

see the attached link for the best suggestions. I have had it saved for awhile now due to some plans that I have.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=26508

Always use a solvent-based primer
Solvent-based primers (oil-, alcohol-, or lacquer-based) are a must. Never use a water-based product for the initial finish coat. The wood fibers will swell too much when they absorb the water, and you'll get what is, in effect, raised grain on the surface that will not sand out. After the surface has been sealed with something ese, though, a water-based paint will not affect the MDF adversely. I use latex paint over properly sealed wall paneling and trim molding, but for painted furniture or cabinets, I prefer the finish quality of oil- or lacquer-based paint that is applied with a spray gun.

If that is MDF, I hope you bought 2x the amount of paint you will need. MDF is part sponge I think.

If it is MDF though, you never want to use a water based paint.

see the attached link for the best suggestions. I have had it saved for awhile now due to some plans that I have.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=26508

Always use a solvent-based primer
Solvent-based primers (oil-, alcohol-, or lacquer-based) are a must. Never use a water-based product for the initial finish coat. The wood fibers will swell too much when they absorb the water, and you'll get what is, in effect, raised grain on the surface that will not sand out. After the surface has been sealed with something ese, though, a water-based paint will not affect the MDF adversely. I use latex paint over properly sealed wall paneling and trim molding, but for painted furniture or cabinets, I prefer the finish quality of oil- or lacquer-based paint that is applied with a spray gun.

All paint i use will be Oil based, so it isnt effected as much as water based paint when used on MDF.

That is going to be one awesome desk. Can't wait to see how it progresses. Could you clarify the dimensions of it thought? You said in your OP that the legs are 1.7m high, and the desk part will sit on top of them. How do you use that as a desk?

That is going to be one awesome desk. Can't wait to see how it progresses. Could you clarify the dimensions of it thought? You said in your OP that the legs are 1.7m high, and the desk part will sit on top of them. How do you use that as a desk?

Sorry, i got the dimensions wrong :D

The legs are 1100mm high

Its 1700mm Long. and 800mm wide. and the Encasing is 200mm deep.

I can get some more accurate measurements posted soon hopefully.

Yup.
This is pretty nice.
I was also thinking making those kinds (PC Desk)
Keep it coming.

Having cut many mdf panels and used a variety of oil based and water based products, a few things I've noticed.

Cut edges swell and give that swollen fiber texture, even with oil based products.

Here are a few methods I've done successfully:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6840750&postcount=106

Straight up 4 coats of hi fill auto primer with 220grit sanding in between.

Quick coat of bondo with 220 grit sanding:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7035549&postcount=32

My recommendation: get a test piece of mdf and go thru your entire paint process to make sure you get a good end finish.

Desk looks fantastic!

Back