• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA 775, 1155, or 2011?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

I'm getting ready to build a new computer. I want an Intel CPU but don't know what is the most future proof motherboard to get???

I would go with a Z68 LGA1155 board with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, depending on when you plan on buying. LGA775 has been EOL for a while now, and LGA2011 is most likely not worth the cost for your needs. So, what are your needs and PC use?

775 is two generations ago, so that's a no-go for future proofing. If you want the absolute most future-proof for sure, then 2011 is it. I can't speak or recommend it on any other basis than that as IB-E is rumored to be coming Q42012 and will use socket 2011. That said, a GEN3 1155 board will also accept IB when it launches in April 2012

I'm getting ready to build a new computer. I want an Intel CPU but don't know what is the most future proof motherboard to get???

Kinda a bad time to be looking for parts like most Xmas seasons are; its not quite to the release of Ivy Bridge in Q2, same goes for Tahiti in Q1 and Kepler in Q1/Q2.

Really there isn't anything I could recommend that will be immediately obsolete in the next 90 days. I would say wait for the next wave of parts starting around April.

LGA1155 is what you want then :thup:

If it's mainly for gaming, then you can get the 2500K and save some $ over the 2600K. The SB CPUs are a breeze to OC as well, should get 4.5GHz easily.

LGA1155 is what you want then :thup:

If it's mainly for gaming, then you can get the 2500K and save some $ over the 2600K. The SB CPUs are a breeze to OC as well, should get 4.5GHz easily.

He said very fast and has not stated a budget. I hear a 2011 board and a 6 core calling. Sure it's a $900 system base but he said VERY fast :clap:
Add 16GB of RAM and a 6970 and its off to the races. Ideally though add a 6990 because you did say 'very'. Or buy both and link them together.

Double bandwidth for RAM
much more PCIE bandwidth
Faster CPUS
Faster CPUS down the line

1155 replaces 1156 which replaced 775 (Why were you considering such an ancient platform?)
2011 replaces 1366 it is the enthusiast class platform. It's what I'd buy if I bought now for 'very' fast.

is it just me or does this look like a troll thread? :S

It's just you :shrug:? The guy wants a new PC nothing trollish about it.
He was un-knowledgable about CPUs and seeing what was available had no idea.

:D

Last edited:
If you are strictly gaming, the lga1155 is the ideal platform to work from. No current game is going to make an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz'ish really sweat. My 2 cents.

Haha okay just that you have been a member for 10 years thats all :) sorry :)

I agree with 2011 socket if you aren't on a tight budget :) but it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

I haven't built an up to date computer for some time now. I am just trying to get a handle on what is available with the idea that I won't build another for a long time. My budget is basically unlimited (as long as the wife doesn't see the bills). I'm not particularly interested in multi-video cards. One good one is enough for me.

Well the difference in pricing between an LGA1155 based machine and the LGA2011 machine will be considerable. Somewhere in the 'hood of like 5 - 600 bucks I would assume. This is with both machines having the same storage, same GPU, same case, same PSU! LGA2011 motherboards and CPUs are $$$.

I would say with confidence that if you built a decent 1155 machine, you will be able to play games for 3 or 4 years easily without having to worry about a large upgrade.

Either way, its your cash! Keep us informed of your purchase! :)

Probably about $400... $3hundo for the chip, $50 or so for mobo, and $50 in ram.... I certainly agree. :)

For future proofing wouldn't 1155 be better? Intel confirmed Ivy would be compatible on it. You could assume the extreme edition would then be compatible on 2011 but they haven't confirmed it yet as far as I can tell so I wouldn't buy based on that unless they do. Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't it been shown from a gaming perspective the quad channel ram and x16x16 have minimal noticeable improvements as well. Just seems if your doing mostly gaming 1155 seems to fulfill all your needs and save you money.

From the rumor mills on the net, yes the ivy-b will be available for LGA 1155. It is to be released in 6 months or so. Ivy-b E will be the enthusiast version of the "regular" ivy chip and will be released on LGA 2011, intel's current "top of the line" socket.

Why would intel launch a new socket only to have 1 chip on it ? That's how I see it.

As far as I can see, a 2500k or 2600k OC'd and a good graph card will be able to keep up for a long time... Future proof, yeah ; cheaper than LGA 2011, for sure !

Back