• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys.

I'm new here, and new to this system.

First time overclocking, but I've been doing a lot of reading here and whatnot.

ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
i7 2600k
16GB G.Skill Ripsaw X 9-9-9-24

I started off OC'ing this morning at for 4.5ghz @ 1.25. I had a few blue screens and freeze ups playing Rise of Flight, I started to up the Vcore. I'm now at 1.28 in the BIOS, Speedstep enabled and currently working on the 4th pass of intel burn test.. Max temp has been 65C. I am also set at 100% CPU Current Capability, LLC set to Auto... My last BSOD was at 1.26, and it was 0x00000124.. If I can complete 5 passes of burn test should I be good to go? I don't really know what I'm doing.

Well I had a failure...... Here is the log.

----------------------------
IntelBurnTest v2.53
Created by AgentGOD

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Clock Speed: 3.40 GHz
Active Physical Cores: 8
Total System Memory: 16360 MB

Stress Level: Maximum (13868 MB)
Testing started on 06/01/2012 1:45:47 AM
Time (s) Speed (GFlops) Result
[01:55:28] 493.339 100.6623 2.990887e-002
[02:05:04] 493.495 100.6305 2.990887e-002
[02:14:44] 495.142 100.2957 2.990887e-002
[02:24:32] 499.647 99.3914 3.846838e-002
Testing ended on 06/01/2012 2:24:32 AM
Test Result: Failure.

Try 4.5 @ 1.33v and turn it down/up from there. Unless you have a golden chip 1.25v is a bit to low...

Update: Completed 5 of 5 Intel burn tests @ the MAXIMUM setting running a vcore of 1.33

What next, or shall I leave it? My temps recorded a maximum of 74 celcius on one of the cores during the test.

Update: Completed 5 of 5 Intel burn tests @ the MAXIMUM setting running a vcore of 1.33

What next, or shall I leave it? My temps recorded a maximum of 74 celcius on one of the cores during the test.
Run Prime95 for 6 hours. Should be right then.

Yup. Temps in P95 blend shouldn't be very high. They are always lower than IBT as IBT actually increases the TDP (power draw) of the cpu significantly (I hit about 98W on P95 and about 130W on IBT)

If you passed 5 runs of IBT on max odds are you're going to pass six hours of blend. Remember you can do other stuff while your run blend, but nothing intensive as mentioned in the first post of the thread. I'd limit it to forum type stuff and listening to music sort of thing. Low load use.

What next, or shall I leave it?

Following what ocnoob and fmk mentioned you should have achieved stability, from there you can move on to thermal control. I suggest decreasing the vcore 0.01v at a time and testing stability to find that "sweet spot".

i find IBt a better indicator, however when trying to stable 4.7 i ran IBT 5 passes and passed, then went backagain and ran 20 passes and it failed on pass 13, gave me the x101 BSOD so i needed a little more voltage. after passing 20 runs IBT....Prime 95 blend was a breeze.

IBT my temps were a little hot peaking at 82c.. not bad but wanted to stay in the 70's figured gaming will not hit anywhere near the 130w draw. im leaving it there for a bit.

i find IBt a better indicator, however when trying to stable 4.7 i ran IBT 5 passes and passed, then went backagain and ran 20 passes and it failed on pass 13, gave me the x101 BSOD so i needed a little more voltage. after passing 20 runs IBT....Prime 95 blend was a breeze.

IBT my temps were a little hot peaking at 82c.. not bad but wanted to stay in the 70's figured gaming will not hit anywhere near the 130w draw. im leaving it there for a bit.

I think for stability Prime95 Blend run over several hours is fine. However, if you want to do a real temperature stress test, nothing will heat up the CPU like IBT. I was stable and with good temps specs at 48x running Prime 95 but after doing 5 passes with IBT, I was not comfortable with the temps and dialed it back to 47x.

That said, I don't know if any game or app will put the kind of heat stress on a CPU that IBT does.

Quick and dirty = IBT
Long term = P95

IBT gets things hotter than P95 which gets things hotter than AYTHING I have used my PC for... so lits like P95 is redline, and IBT is at rev limiter. :p

Got my first blue screen of death today. Something along the lines of a 0x0124 error which I think pertains to overclocking. I'm running 4.5ghz @ 1.365 vcore. This is my first BSOD since having what I thought was a stable overclock (over a week now). Ideas?

Raise vcore a notch. Sometimes, even when running P95/IBT for a few hours its not quite stable.

x0124 = vocre (doesnt directly pertain to overclocking, just a cpu error)

Raise vcore a notch. Sometimes, even when running P95/IBT for a few hours its not quite stable.

x0124 = vocre (doesnt directly pertain to overclocking, just a cpu error)

I raised the vcore to 1.37. I'm really disappointed because that seems so high compared to what everyone else gets :( .. I'll check back in later with stability.

Hi,

I read through this guide and a few others from different sites, i wonder could someone take a look at this and tell if there is something i should be changing or if i am doing something wrong. Basically i set it up as shown in the pics below but as soon i run prime95 PC either blue screens or just restarts

This is my setup
PSU: 850W Corsair HX Series
Cooling: Prolimatech Megahalems
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Motherboard: GByte GA-P67A-UD4
HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 x2
SSD: 128GB Crucial m4 SATA 6GB/s
GFX: 2GB XFX HD 6970

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Add more voltage. Some chips cannot do 4.5Ghz at 1.35v.

i really want to try but im scared to do it.. i dont want my cpu dying on me ;o;
Intestinal Fortitude... dig deep and grab some more. :thup:

Seriously, 4.5Ghz or less isnt going to kill your CPU. Keep within the voltages mentioned and temperatures and all will be well. :D

Add more voltage. Some chips cannot do 4.5Ghz at 1.35v.

Intestinal Fortitude... dig deep and grab some more. :thup:

Seriously, 4.5Ghz or less isnt going to kill your CPU. Keep within the voltages mentioned and temperatures and all will be well. :D

i just feel like im doing something wrong when ever i get into the BIOs xD

Back