• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Earthdog, got an error with IBT. Set to 15 loops but on 8th IBT stops because of an error. What settings do I have to tweak.

this is good information. i just bought a 2500k and will be getting a z77 motherboard.. will this information will be basically the same for z77?

AGAIN....sorry :D. PLS HELP

here's my settings :
clock : 4.7
pll overvoltage : enabled
speedstep : enabled
turbo limit : manual
short : 250
long : 250
Core current limit : 250
spread spectrum : disabled

Vcore : offset (0.105v)
DRam Voltage : 1.529 (default)
pll voltage : 1.709v
vtt : auto

temps
max TEMP at RealTemp at 68c

voltages
BIOS : 1.368, 1.376, 1.384 voltages
CPU-Z (under load) 1.360, 1.680, 1.376, 1.384 sometimes it's just 1.344v (is this normal voltages, not having stable or sticking to one or two kinds of voltages?)

Questions :
* what should I tweak? add vcore (note that I'm already at .105v at offset settings and temps are high too 68c MAX temp at REALTEMP)
* should I set my VTT to 1.122 or 1.131v (currently at AUTO)
* should I decrease or increase my PLL Voltage (Currently at manual : 1.709v)
What would be the solution of THREAD ERROR in PRIME95? :shrug:
Thank you!

Thanks for the guide. I have tried to follow as much as possible but some things are not there ( or are named differently).
I have been conservative at 4.2Ghz.
I just wanted you to have a look and see if these results after an hour are what I should expect.
I set the fans on max. (which is noisy) to be safe.

Attachments

• 4.2 o_c 2.png
    4.2 o_c 2.png
    328.4 KB · Views: 279
  • CPU O-C @4.2.png
    CPU O-C @4.2.png
    375.7 KB · Views: 282
question

Following this guide I think I have a stable OC at 4.5g. All is exactly as explained, and i have lowered my voltage to 1.32. prime 95 is running along as I post this and all is well. My question is when I run prime95 and at 100% cpu load my multiplier changes. It fluctuates between 39, and 40. Is that normal or did I miss somthing.
i5 2500k, fatality mobo. 16gig 2333 ram, cas set to 11,11,11,30 per the box. Im cooling with a corsair water block. mixed reviews but I tried it and its awsome. Replaced a V8 cooler that just never seemed to work right.
temps stable around 60c under load for about an hr.
see if i can post a screen.....

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    33 KB · Views: 261
dono how to get a screen of my volts, but here. Again taken under 100%cpu load

Hardware monitor Nuvoton NCT6776
Voltage 0 1.29 Volts [0xA1] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.85 Volts [0xE7] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.39 Volts [0xD4] (AVCC)
Voltage 3 3.39 Volts [0xD4] (3VCC)
Voltage 4 0.90 Volts [0x70] (VIN4)
Voltage 5 1.71 Volts [0xD6] (VIN5)
Voltage 6 0.85 Volts [0x6A] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 38°C (100°F) [0x26] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 48°C (117°F) [0x5F] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 39°C (102°F) [0x4E] (AUXTIN)
Temperature 3 62°C (143°F) [0x3E] (TMPIN3)
Fan 2 1229 RPM [0x4CD] (AUXFANIN0)
Fan 3 947 RPM [0x3B3] (AUXFANIN1)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0290

Hi,
First of all my thanks to theocnoob!!! :¬D

I could achieve on my i7 2600K: 4.5Ghz / 1.30v stable 24/7
Temps running at now that it's OCed: Idle 32-33C / Full Load 68-69C
Now I want to go lower in voltage to see If I can achieve 1.27-1.28 and improve also the temps. Anything recommended to focus on BIOS settings?

Also, could I harm my CPU by giving less voltage that it really needs?

Thanks!

My HW is:

Last edited:
Following this guide I think I have a stable OC at 4.5g. All is exactly as explained, and i have lowered my voltage to 1.32. prime 95 is running along as I post this and all is well. My question is when I run prime95 and at 100% cpu load my multiplier changes. It fluctuates between 39, and 40. Is that normal or did I miss somthing.
i5 2500k, fatality mobo. 16gig 2333 ram, cas set to 11,11,11,30 per the box. Im cooling with a corsair water block. mixed reviews but I tried it and its awsome. Replaced a V8 cooler that just never seemed to work right.
temps stable around 60c under load for about an hr.
see if i can post a screen.....

Ya you're fine. What you're seeing with fluctuation is most likely because your motherboard, like most motherboards, isn't holding a perfect 100Mhz as the baseclock. Its always a bit off. In your case its 99.77 so that makes a few less mhz than 4000.

It's not hard to overclock Sandybridge (Or Ivybridge. This same guide will overclock an Ivybridge cpu as the actual silicon is very similar, just smaller.)

Hi,
First of all my thanks to theocnoob!!! :¬D

I could achieve on my i7 2600K: 4.5Ghz / 1.30v stable 24/7
Temps running at now that it's OCed: Idle 32-33C / Full Load 68-69C
Now I want to go lower in voltage to see If I can achieve 1.27-1.28 and improve also the temps. Anything recommended to focus on BIOS settings?

Also, could I harm my CPU by giving less voltage that it really needs?

Thanks!

My HW is:

Undervolting can not hurt the CPU. You already have a low voltage so I'd leave it. Only overvolting can hurt it.

Just wanted to give thanks the OP for a quick and easy guide;

I'm currently at a stable 4.4GHz using a 212+ with all other settings stock outside of the guide.

Temps;
Load - 70c
Idle - 32c

Note - this overclock has made recognizable difference in BF3 and Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 performance increased significantly.

Ya you're fine. What you're seeing with fluctuation is most likely because your motherboard, like most motherboards, isn't holding a perfect 100Mhz as the baseclock. Its always a bit off. In your case its 99.77 so that makes a few less mhz than 4000.

It's not hard to overclock Sandybridge (Or Ivybridge. This same guide will overclock an Ivybridge cpu as the actual silicon is very similar, just smaller.)

Undervolting can not hurt the CPU. You already have a low voltage so I'd leave it. Only overvolting can hurt it.

Thanks again for the answer :clap:

resultsofar.PNG

My results so far! I only JUST got this board/CPU/RAM/CPU cooler today.. I suppose I should update my Sig info! (It finished the 5 tests by the way.)

Using your settings; but setting the vcore to 1.32v in the bios. (I figured the 1.35v was generally to account for the hyperthreaded CPU's mainly anyway). I'm sure I can go lower. Though I'll run Prime for 8 odd hours at a later date before I try lowering voltages. Thanks for the quick guide! Sandy Bridge is so much easier than X58... XD. Though it's interesting both CPU-Z and HW Monitor rate my voltage different to the Bios setting. I suppose I'll just adjust the LLC setting...

Asus Maxiums Gene V Z77 Bios 0701
2x4GB G Skill Ripjaws X 1600.
2500K.
Noctua U9B SE2. Yes this little tiny 92mm fan-based CPU Cooler is keeping my temps well within spec! ^^. I'm quite happy with it.

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm totally new to overclocking. I followed this guide on here after reading and trying to understand what I could on the internet. I have an average knowledge base of computers for a 29-year-old. So, I'm no pro.

I have an Asus p8z68-v gen3 mother board and an i7-2700k sandy bridge.

I'm using a corsair h100 liquid cooler.

So, I followed the guide and now CPUz says I have a 4636 MHz cpu core speed. I ran all the stress tests recommended and they all passed, what concerns me is that prior to overclocking, the CPU core speed would be in the low 1000s MHz and jump up as application demands increased. I'm wondering why it just stays at 4636 MHz now, according to the read out in CPUz?

Should I be concerned at all with the Base Clock speeds in BIOS? Mine was and is still at 103. Should I mess with this? I've really tried to read up more on all this, but I can't seem to get a handle on what I should do with my specific mother board.

BTW in IntelBurn my highest temp was 82 for two cores and the others never hit 80.

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm totally new to overclocking. I followed this guide on here after reading and trying to understand what I could on the internet. I have an average knowledge base of computers for a 29-year-old. So, I'm no pro.

I have an Asus p8z68-v gen3 mother board and an i7-2700k sandy bridge.

I'm using a corsair h100 liquid cooler.

So, I followed the guide and now CPUz says I have a 4636 MHz cpu core speed. I ran all the stress tests recommended and they all passed, what concerns me is that prior to overclocking, the CPU core speed would be in the low 1000s MHz and jump up as application demands increased. I'm wondering why it just stays at 4636 MHz now, according to the read out in CPUz?

Should I be concerned at all with the Base Clock speeds in BIOS? Mine was and is still at 103. Should I mess with this? I've really tried to read up more on all this, but I can't seem to get a handle on what I should do with my specific mother board.

BTW in IntelBurn my highest temp was 82 for two cores and the others never hit 80.

Temp's are alright; though I'd expect a little less for a H100.. Even on a HT CPU. (In fact; if you check mine above; I wouldn't expect my little 92mm fan based CPU cooler to perform keeping temps below 65.. When your H100 can't keep temps around 70. Even for a Hyperthreaded CPU; and a slightly higher voltage; the h100 well out-performs my cooler.. So perhaps a remount?) Though Intel Burn Test does push temps a little more than Prime95.

If you can; custom set the base clock to 100. Though some don't mind going a little out of spec; generally the idea for sandy bridge K models is keep the base clock at 100; and change only the multiplier concerning OC'ing.

Hey Guys.....just wanna say thanks so much for this thread.....has been amazing for my first successful overclock!....now on to my questions...I have finally stabilized my overclock of my i2500k @ 4.5GHZ and Vcore in bios at 1.33 based on the guide on page 1....my question now is, I want to try to get my voltage down as low as possible to be stable...I have my LLC set to ultra high in the bios (im guess high/utra high/extreme doesnt give as much of a voltage swing...is that right)....should I be tinkering with that first and then the vcore or vice versa? I have provided my specs below...remember I have followed the guide to a T, so all the things mentioned on page one has been done....I can get screenshots of the bios shortly, just running another run of Pirime 95

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gene 3
i2500k @ 4.5ghz
vcore in bios 1.33 (fluctuates between 1.328-1.334 in cpu-z)
LLC- Ultra High
Ram Timings- 8-8-8-24 (Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz) set to 1.5v
Temps ranging from 58-64 in prime 95.....IBT 67-73
Prime 95= 7 hours error free
IBT= 5 runs on Maximum error free

if you need other specs or info, just let me know....thanks again!!

Last edited:
Back