• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been reading about the 3570K and folks are testing those and going back to their 2500K due to the 2500K being better and more stable.

I hadn't read that but anything's possible. I just wouldn't want to buy last year's CPU given that PCIE3.0 is out. If you'll never use a high end GPU and don't see yourself buying one a couple years down the line when they're starting to really cram the bandwidth of PCIE3.0, then the 2500K will do. The only real advantages of the ivybridge are that they're a hair quicker, they have PCIE3, they have HD4000 rather than 3000/2000 and that's it.

I hadn't read that but anything's possible. I just wouldn't want to buy last year's CPU given that PCIE3.0 is out. If you'll never use a high end GPU and don't see yourself buying one a couple years down the line when they're starting to really cram the bandwidth of PCIE3.0, then the 2500K will do. The only real advantages of the ivybridge are that they're a hair quicker, they have PCIE3, they have HD4000 rather than 3000/2000 and that's it.

I was just worried the IB wasn't stable. I a getting some positive feedback on the IB now so I may go with it. Thanks.

anyone try this guide with a 3570k yet?
getting my cooler in the next couple of days and I want to get mine up to 4.5

It ought to work similarly. I'd imagine you'd need a bit less voltage to drive the Ivys.
I am trying to build a 3570k too and I am hearing you need a better heatsink than the 212. I am looking into the H100 or a custom loop. I have been reading some poor reviews on Newegg about the H100. So I am considering a custom loop.

very informative and helpful thread. as this 2700k is my first intel cpu i needed a little guidance and the info here sure helped. 2700k now happily folding in the chimp challenge at [email protected]. i have been AMD for so long im having to learn all over again how to o/c.:fight:

Thanks for your support,
I have Intel core dual 2.98GHz, but it is always not work properly,

Regards,

You're probably in the wrong thread. You sure you don't have a Core 2 Duo?

I am trying to build a 3570k too and I am hearing you need a better heatsink than the 212. I am looking into the H100 or a custom loop. I have been reading some poor reviews on Newegg about the H100. So I am considering a custom loop.

Why not just get a top end air cooler like a Thermalright silver arrow or a Noctua NHD14?

I have been reading about the 3570K and folks are testing those and going back to their 2500K due to the 2500K being better and more stable.

The 2500 is not better or more stable. It is different and needs less work to OC. Forget guides that are out at the moment and learn one thing. To keep heat down on IB with a 4.2GHz + OC you either need water cooling (or other non air) or you need to use a positive dynamic voltage offset. You can not achieve the same OC on air that was enjoyed with the SB by just locking voltages and multipliers. You must finesse the IB when using air.

First of all like many of the other readers/posters in this thread I would like to say thank you for this guide! Have been doing pretty much overclocking in the past but I'm new to SB overclocking so good to have a guide and thread like this one with so much useful info!

I've reached what appears to be a stable 4.8 GHz @ 1.38V and the temps are OK (about 70C or just above while running the blend test in Prime95 and between 30-35C when idle) using a Corsair H100. Of course I could drop the clock a bit and then the voltage to lower the temps but since I'll primarily use my PC for FSX where every single Mhz counts I want to reach the highest possible speed but of course within safe margins.

I haven't had the time to read through all posts yet, I'm currently at page 8 if my memory serves so forgive me if this has already been answered further ahead in the thread but I have 2 questions.

1. What parameter is it exactly I should tweak in BIOS to have the CPU voltage drop from my current manually set 1.38V when the computer is idle and the speed automatically drops to 1.6 GHz? Feels very unnecessary to have 1.38V to run at 1.6 GHz...

2. What exactly are the 'spectrum' settings in BIOS like the CPU Spread Spectrum and I think there was one more but can't remember the exact name now and how do these settings affect your overclocking or maybe they don't?

Thanks in advance for any input!

The 2500 is not better or more stable. It is different and needs less work to OC. Forget guides that are out at the moment and learn one thing. To keep heat down on IB with a 4.2GHz + OC you either need water cooling (or other non air) or you need to use a positive dynamic voltage offset. You can not achieve the same OC on air that was enjoyed with the SB by just locking voltages and multipliers. You must finesse the IB when using air.
Thanks Archer for the feedback.:thup: I am going to start off on an air build then migrate to a water build. Maybe when I get to that point you can help me finesse my IB?:comp:

Thanks Archer for the feedback.:thup: I am going to start off on an air build then migrate to a water build. Maybe when I get to that point you can help me finesse my IB?:comp:

If you get good water cooling then the Dynamic core is not really necessary.

On air it may be needed to keep the CPU cooler and reach a higher OC. The caveat is the Drive performance may suffer as well as performance under very heavy loads.

First of all like many of the other readers/posters in this thread I would like to say thank you for this guide! Have been doing pretty much overclocking in the past but I'm new to SB overclocking so good to have a guide and thread like this one with so much useful info!

I've reached what appears to be a stable 4.8 GHz @ 1.38V and the temps are OK (about 70C or just above while running the blend test in Prime95 and between 30-35C when idle) using a Corsair H100. Of course I could drop the clock a bit and then the voltage to lower the temps but since I'll primarily use my PC for FSX where every single Mhz counts I want to reach the highest possible speed but of course within safe margins.

I haven't had the time to read through all posts yet, I'm currently at page 8 if my memory serves so forgive me if this has already been answered further ahead in the thread but I have 2 questions.

1. What parameter is it exactly I should tweak in BIOS to have the CPU voltage drop from my current manually set 1.38V when the computer is idle and the speed automatically drops to 1.6 GHz? Feels very unnecessary to have 1.38V to run at 1.6 GHz...

2. What exactly are the 'spectrum' settings in BIOS like the CPU Spread Spectrum and I think there was one more but can't remember the exact name now and how do these settings affect your overclocking or maybe they don't?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Use dynamic v core instead of fixed v core. CPU spread Spectrum modulates the clock signal so it wont create a magnetic filed that will interfere with electrical signals in the PC, don't worry about it because it does not interfere with overclocking.

Thanks, I'll try that and I guess as I understood it I should be using a positive offset value for vcore meaning the vcore will drop to the lowest possible when CPU is idle and then increase with CPU load?

Also, how exactly are the LLC setting related to using vcore offset?

Tried using offset but had a BSOD shortly after starting IBT although the vcore was automatically increased to 1.380-1.390V which has been working just fine when I've set vcore manually so I decided to go back to that manual setting now. Not a big deal since my temps are well within safe limits even with vcore manually set to 1.385V all the time.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am a first-time overclocker and I have a quick question about ram timings.

I currently have the Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 with the i5 2500K.

I accidentally bought the Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) ram: http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3K2_8G.pdf which is rated to run at 1.65v at 1600. My motherboard only supports 1.5v. When I go about to overclocking my computer, I should set my ram as 1333 and run at 1.5v right? What about the ram timing? Do I use the one stated in the specifications sheet ("9-9-9-27 at 1.65v") or should it be different since I am running it at a different speed/voltage?

Thanks in advance.

The memory you linked me to is 1.65V at 1600MHz so leave it there.
running at 1.65 is fine.
Your timing is 9-9-9-27

Just set the memory to XMP profile 1

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this, best guide I've seen for my i5 2500k and so far so good with the my first overclock =)

Back