• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For my 2600 the best results for me were to hit my OC Tuner, Go back into bios and change it to 100x45, set my offset to -.010 and Change VRam Frequency to 350. With these settings I vary from .868-1.032 idle to 1.280-1.296v under prime95. Ran this for 3 weeks now. Not as much as a bsod or freeze.

Edit - Batch#3115B989

Edit again. Ill post screenies after I try to get 1.26v ... dropped offset to -.020 and shes running nice.

You have a sparkling gem of a board though (I love that series) and that won't apply to most people. I agree that with that particular model, that tends to work fastest and gets you a very reasonable voltage. This works with the non Gen 3 model of this board as well so thank you for sharing this info.

Picking some nits: IE means "that is", you want to be using EG, which means "for example".
There's some other grammar stuff as well, but that'll get ironed out by the editors before it hits the frontpage.

Content wise I'm good with it.

Definitely leave the disclaimer in.

I was not aware of that. You learn something every.... 4am. :popcorn:

For my 2600 the best results for me were to hit my OC Tuner, Go back into bios and change it to 100x45, set my offset to -.010 and Change VRam Frequency to 350. With these settings I vary from .868-1.032 idle to 1.280-1.296v under prime95. Ran this for 3 weeks now. Not as much as a bsod or freeze.

Edit - Batch#3115B989

Edit again. Ill post screenies after I try to get 1.26v ... dropped offset to -.020 and shes running nice.
Thanks for the tip. I just tried the offset method to get lower voltages when it's not doing anything intensive.

Hmm, I can't get my voltage down to 1.26v unless I use the following settings:

Load Line = regular (ie. 0%)
Offset = -0.06

It's no biggie though. Currently running it through Prime95 blend tests and looking good so far. The voltage range is between 0.74v to 1.26v according to CPUID Hardware Monitor. I would have preferred the voltage to go down even further because I know my chip is fine from 1.23v onwards at 4.5Ghz.

edit: tried -0.07 and it's gotten me my 1.25v, but it mostly likes to run at 1.24v. It dropped the idle voltage down to 0.73v. Back to doing Prime95 blend tests now to test for stability.

Hopefully offset overclocking is stable because I do like the idea of the idle voltage getting that low to conserve power.

edit 2: just for fun, I lowered the voltage to my RAM as well from 1.5125v to 1.29XXv at 8-8-8-18-1T. To my surprise, Prime95 is still working with the offset and lower RAM voltage. When I have time, I'll try overclocking the RAM at the lower voltage. This is pretty much the first time I've had gear that likes lower voltages when overclocked.

edit 3: picture of it running for just a smidge under an hour...

45ghzoffset.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, I can't get my voltage down to 1.26v unless I use the following settings:
Load Line = regular (ie. 0%)
Offset = -0.06

Gonna try this. I had an error 18 minutes in running at 1.264v with offset at -.020 not messing with loadline. Good tip!

^You guys are starting to take this in a direction that makes for a refined guide which would be a seperate adendum so if you wouldn't mind having the 'superfine' vtweak convo in general HW.. :D Infact one has already been written which is unbeatable to take your chip to its voltage and speed limits, both up and down by Juan Jose (JJ aka AsusIlluminati). I will post the link when I find it. He's marketing and product manager at Asus for ROG line. You may know him as the guy ASUS sends to Newegg to show the new motherboards every time a new chipset arrives. Very knowledgeable.

Bobnova said:
There's some other grammar stuff as well, but that'll get ironed out by the editors before it hits the frontpage.

I just want to say I have no problem with editors coming in and altering grammatical errors and run on sentences and the like and even fonts. As long as the general text is not manipulated.

Last edited:
This stuff happens in these threads my man... its a overclocking guide and people are trying to figure out how to do it the best way. Sometimes thats outside of a guide. ;)

In your sig, you do know that you can merge the text in to a link right? Like this: N00b's guide to overclocking the galaxy.

Highlight the text, then hit the URL button (little globe with a chain under it. Kind of funny really).

also, is it just me or is the text/font in your sig for the beginners guide... really hard to read?
how it looks to me in chrome (on a mac anyway)

pic of your signature:
l2hMw.png

so may want to play with that a bit. the actual syntax for links is just:

[ url= <url> ] Text Here for What it is [ /url ] (no spaces or < > of course)

^
Best reserved for the upcoming "How to OC your SB CPU until you see sweat coming off it or its so cold you see penguins in the case". JM2C. It's a beginner thread and you guys are going all hard core at this point. Your call I suppose. It IS an open chat. Getting to the point where I might as well link ASUS Illuminati's (JJ, Asus ROG Product marketing mgr) guide to basically murdering the CPU with speed and voltage.... Best left for the "how to overclock to the flippin moon on i5 i7" thread I'll make later.......

also, is it just me or is the text/font in your sig for the beginners guide... really hard to read?
how it looks to me in chrome (on a mac anyway)

Ok I changed it incase others felt that way too. I saw it fine though.

Last edited:
Not an exhaustive guide, but definitely tons of relevant info here. Super useful for newbs like myself. I'm looking at picking up a 212+ myself so the endorsement is reassuring. Also thanks for listing the links to various OC programs in one post. Nice!

this thread needs to be stickied pls

It is in for editing and will likely become a sticky for the gen 2 i5 i7 OC guide

:clap: At which point we might make another to go faster this was the beginner guide.

Not an exhaustive guide

Such was the point. PM me if you wish to be directed to said exhaustive guide :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Just to be sure tho..

Hey, thanks for posing this! It really shows what one just has to do for a simple overclock! Helps a lot!
I have a few questions tho..
Would an OC just to 4.2 or 4.3 be much different? Stable?
The most I plan on doing at the moment is playing around with the Unreal Engine, ad playing Borderlands, and some other (mostly Steam) games..may be some graphics editor..not video editing though.

Also, I. Want to make sure my components are fine before I start to overclock with these particular settings::
-I have the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
-The Crucial Ballistix Sport Series 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel 1.5V Memory
-The Intel Core i5 2500K -and I'm also using the HD 3000 Graphics on the chip ATM.
-MOD-X Stream Pro 80Plus 500W Power Supply
-And yes, I have the 212+

Please reply!
Thanks! ;)

As mentioned in PM you will be fine and 4.2 is of course 300Mhz slower than 4.5
Stability depends on how good the overclock is. There are 4.9Ghz OCs stabler than 4.2Ghz OCs depends who does it and the settings. Your parts list is fine. :)

BIOS

My BIOS does not have LLC, nor does it have C1 C5, it does have the C1E and then C3/C6.
Any suggestions?

Gigabyte
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 F10 Ultra Durable Motherboard

Last edited:
What..?!
I did what I could with your directions, and started the blend tests, left and came back an hour later, max core temp was 100!
What did I do wrong?..

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K CPU
212+ CPU heat sink and fan
Crucial Ballistix Sport Series 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) 2x4 Memory
MODXStream-Pro 80 Plus 500W Power Supply
TP-Link Wireless
HAF 912 Case
Hitachi 1TB HDD

Ok now what are you reading your core temps with? And how did you apply your 212+ cpu cooler. 100 core temps are very high and dangerous and need to be avoided. You could hurt your CPU after some time. First thing we have to figure out is why the cooling is going wrong. Is the backplate on right? Did you use the correct amount of thermal paste? Is the pressure proper did you tighten it all down? Fan working? Something wrong with case airflow? Blocked? etc etc.

Without touching the cooler if you set everthing back to default how hot is it reading? Should be quite low on the 212+

It all seems very odd as that case has good flow of air many fans and you have the correct cooler assuming it was installed right this should not occur. On the upshot it didn't fail blend so if we can just stop it boiling itself we should be ok...

Possible causes-
backplate loose
1 leg not through correctly
no thermal compound
waaaaaay too much thermal compound
faulty temperature sensor
faulty reading of ok sensor
Something stuck under backplate somewhere causing uneven contact even though tight
Cut/sliced, pinholed defective heatpipes on cpu cooler

also if you have photobucket or something, run blend take a screen shot of HWMON and CPUz while its running please. Briefly. 100c doesn't help anything.

Press prntscrn key go into paint paste save it and stick it in your photobucket then img tag it in here.

Last edited:
Back