• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pretty decent guide, I would add a disclaimer which include..."Overclocking your CPU reduces the life expectancy of your CPU. This is a guide and does not gurantee any overclocking results.
A good aftermarket air or water cooler is required to reach the CPU speed, a stock cooler will not be effective enough."

I do not feel such a disclaimer is needed. Who still runs a 486 or Pentium 60? Keep in mind we're only talking going from 1.328 or so to 1.35.
I did add a disclaimer, though.

As far as this goes, that person was right, dont use specifics, but then you are too generic. Just a statement along the lines of 'set the 4 major memory timings and voltage manually, such as 9-9-9-24 1.5v (must set to your memories specifications).

I just changed it :)

What I quoted is an incomplete thought...

I'm still not following you on this virtualization thing. Incomplete how? You're confusing me buddy :bday:

Last edited:
Looks like my CPU just needed a little more voltage to be stable. For I upped it to 1.36 and set LLC to level 1 and it appears to be stable after 20 minutes or so of Prime95. CPUZ is still showing throttling down to 4.2GHz sometimes for some reason, I'm not entirely sure why it is doing that. The cores are hitting a max temperature of 75 but most of the time are hovering around 71-72. Any ideas?

Edit: CPUZ is reporting a Vcore of 1.36v during load. Max multiplier is 45, but right now it is alternating between 4.2 and 4.3GHz. Prime95 hasn't errored yet.

Just an update, I found this thread on here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692224

And in it, manu2b mentions setting turbo boost power limit to manual, and both short and long duration to 300.

I did just that and suddenly the frequency fluctuation went away. Also, the chip was perfectly stable at 4.5GHz. Currently I have it stressing at 4.5GHz and 1.315v and it's been happy for the past 45 minutes. We'll see how low it can go, but it looks like setting the power limit and the short/long duration did the trick. This would probably be something helpful to put in the main post as it looks to be the solution on other AsRock boards.

Edit: Looks like she was stable for 7 hours at 4.5GHz and 1.305v. It had a rounding error after about 7.5 hours, so I went ahead and increased vcore to 1.31v and called it a day.

Last edited:

And in it, manu2b mentions setting turbo boost power limit to manual, and both short and long duration to 300.

I did just that and suddenly the frequency fluctuation went away. Also, the chip was perfectly stable at 4.5GHz. Currently I have it stressing at 4.5GHz and 1.315v and it's been happy for the past 45 minutes. We'll see how low it can go, but it looks like setting the power limit and the short/long duration did the trick. This would probably be something helpful to put in the main post as it looks to be the solution on other AsRock boards.

Edit: Looks like she was stable for 7 hours at 4.5GHz and 1.305v. It had a rounding error after about 7.5 hours, so I went ahead and increased vcore to 1.31v and called it a day.

Good job. I'll find a way to work this info in. That's a decent bin CPU you have there.

Great topic, and helped me get to 4.5 first try. I did over 3 hours prime and passed 5 runs of intel burn test. So thank you very much.

Awesome guide, very easy to follow. :thup:

I will definitely be referring many first timers here.

Or those returning to the Intel platform.

I see you have taken the blue pill this time :). Please step up to the mirror. Hehe.

I have worked this info into the guide.

Awesome guide, very easy to follow. :thup:

I will definitely be referring many first timers here.

Nice thing to say man :salute:

So...Here are my results.

Cooler is Xigmatek Gaia and ambient temp is 17.5C

overclock.png

Yes, that is 1.280 you see XD

Temps don't ever go higher than that, This is on maximum heat setting, And same results at the end..Will post more settings after it completes its test.

Last edited:
^Golden chip I think.
You spiked to 1.29 btw ;) Hwmon doesn't lie.

But gold. For sure.

If you still have your box I'm sure everyone wants to know your batch no ;)

You sure you got a firm mount and good tim on that cooler dude? You hit 61. At that voltage?
Seems strange.

So...Here are my results.

Cooler is Xigmatek Gaia and ambient temp is 17.5C

<picture was here>

Yes, that is 1.280 you see XD

Temps don't ever go higher than that, This is on maximum heat setting, And same results at the end..Will post more settings after it completes its test.
Personally speaking, low voltage doesn't always equate to a high multi with some decent voltage through it (my own safety level for testing this is 1.54v). My one is happy to go as low as 1.23v @ 4.5Ghz, but can only get up to 5.3Ghz. Tested this by both trying the multiplier and BCLCK'ing it up to that speed.

ASRock's UEFI/BIOS settings are a cross between Asus' and Gigabyte's. When I was helping a friend overclock his sytem with an ASRock board, the multis were flying all over the place (mostly down). A quick trip to Google sourced the solution. :thup:

EarthDog, do you know if Asus' recommendation extends to AsRock as well? I am having issues getting my 2500k stable at 4.5GHz (it even throttles itself down to 4.2-4.4GHz during OCCT stressing for some reason), it errored out of OCCT after about 20 minutes with LLC set to level 1. I had insane vdroop with it at level 5.

it throttles because of maby LLC of 5 is way undervolting and LLC of 1 is an overvolt on ASRock boards, try LLC of 2 also i havethe throttleing problem and it is easly solved with the C states being disabled i believe

edit: sorry i didnt see someone already answered your question :p

When you experienced guys are satisfied that theocnoob's initial post is (mostly) complete we can make this a sticky. It's incredibly helpful to the new and casual OC'ers and it makes an excellent reference to repeat inquiries. :thup:

As an experience overclocker, but a newbie to the i25/6/700ks, I feel his guide is quite comprehensive. I'm used to the old "increase FSB" way of overclocking, but this guide was very helpful.

ASRock's UEFI/BIOS settings are a cross between Asus' and Gigabyte's. When I was helping a friend overclock his sytem with an ASRock board, the multis were flying all over the place (mostly down). A quick trip to Google sourced the solution. :thup:

If you (plz?) explained what your solution and issue were a bit more it may help other members with ASrock boards. Cheers.

When you experienced guys are satisfied that theocnoob's initial post is (mostly) complete we can make this a sticky. It's incredibly helpful to the new and casual OC'ers and it makes an excellent reference to repeat inquiries. :thup:

Thanks RT :thup: Its almost there just need to work in the 'quirks' of a few brands people have used and I have not ie ASrock. Got one in but there seem to perhaps be others. If you have any input as well I would take it even if you don't run SB :)

As an experience overclocker, but a newbie to the i25/6/700ks, I feel his guide is quite comprehensive.

:grouphug: TY!

it throttles because of maby LLC of 5 is way undervolting and LLC of 1 is an overvolt on ASRock boards, try LLC of 2 also i havethe throttleing problem and it is easly solved with the C states being disabled i believe

edit: sorry i didnt see someone already answered your question :p

Yes Dealmaster had a 'max power duration' setting which was off on his board. This is a quirk. ASRock boards, some come with this pre-set. I have not seen it happen on ASUS or Gigabyte.

Last edited:
^Golden chip I think.
You spiked to 1.29 btw ;) Hwmon doesn't lie.

But gold. For sure.

If you still have your box I'm sure everyone wants to know your batch no ;)

You sure you got a firm mount and good tim on that cooler dude? You hit 61. At that voltage?
Seems strange.

Good tim=Second best A+ grade TIM According to tests. Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme. As for firm mount...No idea, My first ever install of non stock heatsink...didn't want to tighten too much, for fear of cracking the board. I'm sure i could get another 6 pounds of pressure on it, but it is "good enough" for me.

Voltages are set to 1.305, but only ever pulls 1.28-1.29 according to HWmon, cpu-Z, speedfan, And speccy. I don't complain.

Ran well for the remainder of the tests, max temp was 63c. No Hardware failure detected after 12 hours. So, Its plenty good enough for me XD.
Room temp has since dropped to 14.9c, so I can't run another.

As for the box, I do not. sorry :/

Picking some nits: IE means "that is", you want to be using EG, which means "for example".
There's some other grammar stuff as well, but that'll get ironed out by the editors before it hits the frontpage.

Content wise I'm good with it.

Definitely leave the disclaimer in.

For my 2600 the best results for me were to hit my OC Tuner, Go back into bios and change it to 100x45, set my offset to -.010 and Change VRM Frequency to 350. With these settings I vary from .868-1.032 idle to 1.280-1.296v under prime95. Ran this for 3 weeks now. Not as much as a bsod or freeze.

Edit - Batch#3115B989

Edit again. Ill post screenies after I try to get 1.26v ... dropped offset to -.020 and shes running nice.

Last edited:
Back