• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVI to HDMI adapter/cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bi a op

Registered
My GTX 580 card have a mini HDMI display port, my BenQ 24” LED G2420HDBL with 1080p doesn't support HDMI.
This is my idea:
dvitohdmi.png

Will it work? I'm also thinking that the quality wouldn't be as good as if there where no adapter (just HDMI monitor to HDMI card).

EDIT:
Basically I'm looking for pro and cons using this method. Thanks :D

There should not be any quality issues if you convert from HDMI to DVI. HDMI is basically DVI + sound just using a different connector.

There should not be any quality issues if you convert from HDMI to DVI. HDMI is basically DVI + sound just using a different connector.

Isn't there quality difference in the image in the different HDMI versions? 1.0, 1.2a, 1.3, 1.4

The different HDMI versions are where the standard was updated to add more features and increased bandwidth. The standards are actually related to the hardware that has the features and isn't related to the cable. If you want to read up on those, they are broken down on the wiki page for HDMI. I think it is important to note that the different standards all use the same cable.

That's not totally true mbentley. The newer revisions require higher bandwidth and therefore require higher spec cables.

If you bought a top of the line 1st gen cable, then it should be fine....but a poor quality early revision cable (especially in longer lengths) may very well have issues running in a high bandwidth mode.

There are also certain features that require a new cable according to the wiki you linked:

High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features except for the HDMI Ethernet Channel

edit - to the OP

I use a cheap DVI to HDMI adaptor cable on two of my computer/monitors at home...they both work great :)
Like this: http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cabl...ZHN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323625737&sr=8-1

I stand corrected :) For typical displays, you shouldn't have any issues using whatever HDMI cable you might have as I can't think of any displays that have any network capabilities. I really can't imagine that there are actually going to be many things out there that will make use of the ethernet capabilities of the 1.4 standard but I'd like to be proven wrong :D Out of curiosity, are there actually any non-ridiculously priced displays that can really take advantage of the higher bandwidth offered from newer HDMI revisions? I'd imagine that it would have to be some very high resolution display to require as much bandwidth as is available but I haven't paid all that much attention to displays as of late.

Mostly the additional bandwidth is there to support 3D and the uncompressed audio streams, etc...

Many modern TVs and more-so home theater recievers have networking capabilities built in :thup:

But I agree that these things are a bit off topic to the OP....a cheap cable like I linked should be fine for you ;)

Back