• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need best cooler 5.5" or under

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DungeonLord

Registered
like the title says i have a limited amount of space (5.5" at the most) and need the best cooler for the money. if i had more room i would use a hyper212 but its too tall so what will fit?

I am thinking that the coolermaster v6gt without the top shroud is right at that, but not sure what the dimension is. I have one on the way for the daughters box but wont know till it gets here.

have you seen the photos of the v6 without the top shroud on? it seems to shorten it by quite a bit.

You don't mention what platform and processor you are trying to cool, so it makes it a little harder to recommend something for your needs.:)

With that said, I think the Thermalright AXP-140-RT would be a good choice (maybe the best choice) for you, given the height restrictions. That comes with a fan included, but you can also replace the included fan with a higher performance model if needed. Installed height with the included fan is just over 100 mm tall (4 inches).

sorry about that, it will be going on an am2 build (athlon x64 3800+) that i plan on overclocking extensively..... that is if i can keep it cool. the reason i wanted a tower type cooler is because the case is a dell dimension 2400 case from 2004. needless to say the airflow in the case sucks and i would rather have a hs that pushes the hot air towards the rear fan instead of blowing it around the case.

Might be better off finding a cheap case and cooler? Hyper212+ is $25ish, plus a case that'll fit it might run you $75 if you can find some good deals.

nah i'm sticking with the case cause its beefy and solid..... maybe solid is an understatement....... it makes all other cases feel like they're made out of paper and since i use this computer to travel with i just want to fix it up a little. after thinking i believe i will try to fit the hyper n520 and if that doesnt work i'm gonna get the artic cooling cooler.

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Seven. I hate it. I am very leery of their products now. In reviews they do poorly.

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Seven. I hate it. I am very leery of their products now. In reviews they do poorly.

care to tell me why you dont like their products other than they do poorly in reviews?

care to tell me why you dont like their products other than they do poorly in reviews?

I am leery of their products. That means I mistrust them, and would not buy one unless I read a zillion reviews saying it was a truly great product. That did not keep me from buying a PWM fan to test, but it was very inexpensive.

There are product lines I dislike. But not theirs. As I said, the reviews I have seen that include their heatsinks put them pretty far down. And from personal experience I know that an open cage fan is noisier than an equivalent enclosed-blades fan without any improvement in performance. Since they like that open-cage fan design, I expect the heatsinks that they make which use fans like that will be needlessly noisy. Hence I am leery of their heatsinks.

But if they sell a really good one, the reviewers will tell us.

My experience with their cpu coolers has been a big "MEH". You can do better for the price they sell for and I really don't like their AMD mounting system. It mounts the heatsink pointing towards either the psu or the video card, which is hardly an optimum layout for efficient cooling.

Really, your best bet is to buy a better case than that old Dell so you can run a good heatsink on your system.

My experience with their cpu coolers has been a big "MEH". You can do better for the price they sell for and I really don't like their AMD mounting system. It mounts the heatsink pointing towards either the psu or the video card, which is hardly an optimum layout for efficient cooling.

Really, your best bet is to buy a better case than that old Dell so you can run a good heatsink on your system.

Back