• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600 Memory Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if newegg pics do hold true i found my gem! as far as the IC goes they are the same but seem to have different location manufacturing, im guessing by the difference in the top and lower numbers/letters. the main thing is the K4B section, now the interesting part the pic i posted is from SO-DIMMs at the same stock speed/[email protected]. while it isnt that big of a deal since you cant oc laptops, it is good for smaller boards. that still have some ocing features but use so-dimms.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147090

very nice. are you atleast able to tighten timings with cputweaker or a program of the like?

because even at stock speeds I was able too tighten timings to 7-8-7-20-1t. but that was 1.5v I am curious as to if the so-DIMM IC's can muster any increase.

on the current sodimm's in my i3 330m, it will do 7-6-6 but i can not change first cas in cpu tweaker

Everything is in and running. I have started with everything set to auto except for memory at 1.5v and 1T. It booted right up to 9,9,9,24 1T

I will be tweaking the timings and speeds for the next couple days and will post as I go so let me know some tests you guys want on them.

Everything is in and running. I have started with everything set to auto except for memory at 1.5v and 1T. It booted right up to 9,9,9,24 1T

I will be tweaking the timings and speeds for the next couple days and will post as I go so let me know some tests you guys want on them.
You could just try the speeds and timings from the review. :D

Sure, state the obvious why don't ya. BTW here is a shot of my chips.

EDIT 1: So far the 7,8,7,20 is not stable. I can get into Windows fine but Super PI 32m fails on the first round. I even upped them to 1.6v. 2T and 1T changed nothing as well.

EDIT 2: In an attempt to be lazy I was hoping to keep everything as my sig states and pop in the ram which has not worked. I have since put everything else to stock and so far seem to be more stable at 7,8,7,20 1T. I'll repost after I get some speeds worth posting.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Update: After setting everything back to stock I still can't get the pc stable at 7,8,7,20 T1 1600. It did pass Memtest+ at 7,8,7,20 1T 1333 all night though. So far I have tried up to 1.65v to try and get it stable but tests 4 or 5 fail every time.

My other settings are:
cpu- 2800
cpuv- 1.475v
cpu/nb- 1.25
vdda- 2.5v
nbv- 1.2
nb1.8- 1.8
htv 1.2
sbv 1.10

I realize the volts might be high for stock but they are what the pc has ran stable with sig speeds for months so I just left them as is. Let me know any thoughts or ideas on getting it stable and I'll give them a shot.

Current settings I am testing are below.

Attachments

• cpu1.png
    cpu1.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 65
  • cpu2.png
    cpu2.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 63
That's disappointing. I'd be interested in the higher bandwidth tests too, since that's what SB seems to like.

I was also running on an i7 870 that has been known to have a very stong IMC. try running a higher speed see if you can get atleast 1800mhz @ 9-9-9-24.

also is your system able to do 1600mhz @ 8-8-8-20?

I was just able to get through a couple passes of Memtest at 8,8,7,24 1600 so I am going to start playing with the speed to see if I can get anything. I'm trying to keep the faith but it is fading quickly.

johan I'll try and get higher bandwidths going but this setup is only confirmed stable at 1600 and is an AMD after all. I'll repost in a bit.

Well after multiple settings and tests I can't get the system stable with these sticks in. Based on the voltages above does anyone have some input on what could be changed to make it a little more stable? Otherwise I am going to call these a dud.

A bit of a resurrect, but I finally grabbed some of this RAM to replace my Mushkin. Most DDR3 doesn't overclock worth crap beyond its rated specs, and all I was able to do with my Mushkin was to go from 9-9-9 1T to 8-9-8 1T at 1600MHz with a voltage bump.

I've been playing with the Samsung this morning. All the dual channel kits are sold about, but I grabbed two individual 4GB sticks. I got a clean pass of Memtest86+ at 2133MHz, 10-11-10-27 1T @ 1.47v. I'm running a Prime95 blend now. Pretty awesome stuff!

Back