• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, Core 0 a little higher than the other 3 cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IJAHman

My CPU is Q8400 and I've OC it at 3.2 (only). As I always monitor my Temps (using Speedfan and RealTemp) I notice that Core 0 (in Speedfan and Realtemp reading) is always .7 to .10c higher than the other 3. Example : 45 35 34 34. sometimes it reaches up to .12c higher than the 3 Cores. Is this Temps are normal. Or it should be just up to 5c higher than the other 3 cores?
Any help..

This is normal, nothing to worry about.

I used to see 8 degree diff on my old quad core so 12 isn't out of the question... If you start to see a large temperature differential, remove the heat sink, clean off the old TIM, reapply fresh TIM and reseat the heat sink. Then take it through some heat cycles with prime95...

I've gotten anywhere from 4-5C to 10C temp difference between cores. Its not out of the question that is for sure. Just is odd that is all.

Yes, this is normal, nothing to worry about. The way Windows utilizes multicore processors is the reason. When you are running a game or application that is made for multithreading, the processes will be alternated to different cores and the temps will be closer. But if you are just doing normal and everyday tasks, Windows primarily assigns them to the first core, or Core 0, which is why the temps for that particular core usually run higher. It's like that across the board.

Back