• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

full cover vs Universal GPU Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaydu

Hi I am new to water cooling and not sure what if any difference would this make. I currently have a full water loop in my computer, but I was able to pick up a second GPU for a sweet deal so my plan to move to a 580 has changed to duel 460 cyclones. Having said all that my problem now is locating a second Koolance full cover block, so I was looking swiftechs hybrid solutions with a MCW82.

my system. I7 920 running at 3.8, Msi Cyclone 460 Core Clock Shader Clock 1710, Memory Clock 1930 Core Voltage .975. CPU block is a Koolance CPU-340, GPU block is a Koolance VID-NX460. My temps under full load are are 68 degree on CPU and 44 degree GPU. My rad is a push pull configuration with scythe and a RX240 rad. My pump is a DDC 3.25 18w my res. is a Koolance RP-401x2. Case is a Lian-li pc9f.

So my questions are:
1. will I see a big difference in temps going from a full cover block to a universal block
2. what things could I add to my system to bring down my temps.
3. what kind of increase do you normally see by adding in a second GPU
4. Should I hold out and just wait to see if I can get a second koolance VID-NX460 Block

Attachments

• IMG_4387.jpg
    IMG_4387.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,998
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,232
The biggest difference between FC and Universal GPU blocks is going to be VRM temperatures. something that is easily compensated for by a simple heatsink. Actually universal blocks LIKELY run the GPU cooler than a FC block.

First off you are probably going to need to locate a place for more radiator if your planning to add another 460 to that loop. And what did you do to those poor mounting bolts on your CPU block?

GL

tbh, you probably don't need VRM sinks on the 460...watercooling it at all is a bit overkill imo, it's not a very high TDP card.

And what did you do to those poor mounting bolts on your CPU block?That is how this waterblock mounts to 1366 its an older water block.

I will not be adding anymore rad into my system. but thanks for the advice. I believe I will try a set of Swiftech MCW82 blocks. I might swap out my fans for just two TFC 3000rpm fans with fan xtender shrouds to see it that will increase my air flow over the rad.

With the stock cooling solutions of the 460, it at least has some air blowing directly on or generally around the VRM. I would think you'll still want some sinks to compensate. In that case I'd say something is better than nothing.

Some universal blocks will be better than others. In my case, I opted for the XSPC block but didn't like that solution as the fittings would block the ramsinks I've got. I could trim to fit, but I'm picky and didn't want to so for now it's still using its OEM cooling.

Back