• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back to Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I've had various things keeping me from folding over the last year, but I'm looking to get back to it with a bang. Here is the setup for now.

i7 950 @ 3.06ghz with hd 6950 @ stock speeds
q6600 @ 2.4ghz with hd 5870 @ stock speeds
PS3

THe PS3 makes about 900 ppd on 4.8 KWh, not worth it in my opinion.
You have to use version 7 of the FAH client to get worthwhile ppd out of the AMD cards. THe downside to the use of AMD gpus, aside from lower ppd than nVidia, is that they use an entire cpu core when folding, which slows the SMP client. Version 7 will automatically install the SMP and GPU client if you select SMP+GPU at the start of the configuration.

+1 on the PS3, i have a few around here i was gonna start using then when i realized it was 900 ppd decided it was too small amount to bother.

the 560 Ti's are netting me 13.5k per card, daily... that is stock settings too. I havent messed with OC'ing the shaders yet, since all i do is mess with the stabilty of my rig, killing my PPD when I make tweaks like that... I will later though.

As of now, the 560 Ti's are the PPD/watt $... until the next flavor of nVidia. But GPUs are starting to look pointless in the light of the other posts on this forum... SERVER CLASS FOLDING! Thats where it is at! (if you got a few grand to spend on a rig)

Welcome back to the fold!!

Yeah. Well the schizophrenic nature of the rapid shifts of interest from one type of folding hardware to another reminds me of a dog chasing its tail. I'm just going to continue to fold on my existing hardware, and when the time for a necessary upgrade comes along I'll make my next hardware purchases with folding in mind.

Yeah, Folding is not a "cheap" hobby. To keep up with the latest and greatest trends you have to stay on your toes. I typically don't keep a rig for more than 1.5 years and I'm really a slow adopter. Case in point, my Bloomfield based systems are pretty much obsolete. Heck, with the recent changes in the availability of BA8 WUs decent GPUs are no longer a bad option IMO unless you have Sandy Bridge hardware or plan to go to server grade hardware.

Lol. My typical hardware purchase would just be getting "broken" in at 1 1/2 years of age. Yes. At work where I don't have to pay for electricity--as long as I don't abuse the privilege, I still turn out quite a few points on GPU's as they represent a decent initial investment for the PPD. I wish we got an exemption as folders for our electric energy.

Back