• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liaMV92

Registered
I hope I have weirded this correctly, basically ever since I upgraded to a EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB I have been having problems in Skyrim. Basically low FPS outdoors with low GPU usage, in BF3 I get fine FPS indoors on low player servers but outdoors it goes down as does GPU usuage. Saints Row 3 also has the same issues, I've always had bad luck with PCs so either I'm cursed or my CPU is holding me back. My specs are:
8GB DDR2 @ 1066mhz
GTX 580 1.5GB
AMD Phenom X4 II BE 965 3.4Ghz
64GB Crucial SSD (For OS)
1.5TB Western Digital (Games)

Windows 7 64bit

I hope someone can give me some tips on upgrading, I have tried EVERYTHING. Changing drivers etc, none of it helps :(

"weirded" THAT you missed :)p)..otherwise I gotcha!

Have you tried overlocking the CPU to find out? What resolution do you play games at? What FPS are you getting on average in these scenes?

Haha "worded" I blame my lack of sleep! I play at 1650x1080, and indoors for Skyrim 60-120FPS. SR3 60-70 indoors, outdoors 35-45 sometimes 60 if I'm not looking out to the open.
I tried OC but I have a stock cooler and it didn't go to well. i.e didn't boot up :) Oh and running all games on max, tried lowering settings but still the same effect.

1680x1050 is a lowish res for the mighty 580. You would likely do better in overclocking a bit...

Im not sure what it SHOULD be getting is the problem. I have a couple 580's but I do not own the game. Seems like for how that game looks, those FPS are pretty good.

What are your in game settings? All Ultra? Any AA/AF on?

EDIT: Read this article... Im betting its the CPU...

Custom AA16 everything on. Hmm CPU any reasons why? Also while your at it got any good reccomendations for a better CPU, one that is up to level with my GPU. The problem in BF3 is also the annoying stuttering, but that's proberly game related.

Check out the link in my edit. Honestly, it seems all AMD's struggle compared to Intel CPU's. Id spend $40 on a CPU cooler and overclock that CPU as far as it will go stable.

Turning down AA to 8x would probably help. And like that article mentioned, a lot of shadow and wind calcs are dumped to the CPU so lowering shadows should increase performance a bit as well.

Ah yes, I remembering see this article perhaps your right. Overclocking may be a good idea, I'd buy a bulldozer but I have read their not that good apperently.

Not in this game it seems (Bulldozer). Get a cooler and overclock. Plenty of guides at this site (see signature for one!).

Will do cheers! May I ask for a good cooler? Without being a bother of course, one that will max out the OC I can get if possible.

Back