• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k on Asus P8Z68-V LX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys, found this thread right at the top of google search. I of course have exactly the same set up as many of you.

Did anyone have any luck - Did anyone try Shoechew's setup yet?

Sup Guys, new to the forums but just wanted to say im testing out Shoes setup. Just passed a 10 pass Max stress IBT and hit 78c. Time to see how low I can get my offset.

Running The LX board, 2500k, 16gb Kingston 1600, T2 650w PSU, and a Antec 620 cooler.

oh yeah, using Core temp and CPUID for some monitoring. Strange thing is that Core temp shows VID hitting 1.411 while the same time CPUID is only showing core voltage 1.34-1.38

I was able to get IBT to pass with a offset of .060. lowered the temps about 4-5c. Going to run prime the rest of the day and see how she holds. If this holds, I'll probably reapply the thermal compound and lap he cooler, see if i cant get some lower temps.

Ran Prime for about 13 hours and had no issues with anything at .060 offset. Temps hit about 67.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 2,132
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 2,028
Last edited:
I realize this is relatively old thread but it's one of the very few discussions I've found in regards to the ASUS P8Z68-V LX on the web. As there aren't too many owners with this board, information is scarce. Everything I've learned has been from my own experiences or other people's experiences that I have read about.

Most ASUS P8Z68 owners don't realize -V LX/LE have some of the OC BIOS featured locked when compared to their bigger brothers. (most notably Manual Vcore adjustments/LLC settings besides enabled/disabled/auto.) This has led to some inaccurate suggestions by these owners.

The settings -V LX owners do have access to is really all you need for moderate overclocks. I will try to address a few of these settings hopefully someone will find this information somewhat useful.

Overclocking with this board is as easy or easier as the other ASUS Z68 boards. Basically keep BCLK at 100.00 and change the multiplier.

VCORE adjustment might be the only setting that may seem troublesome to use. As I've touched on in the beginning, we're only given "Offset mode." Manual vcore adjustment would make the overclocking experience faster but Offset is the superior option. I'd be more upset if this board didn't have Offset adjustments.

To get your vcore at what you want it to be is relatively easy. These are the steps I take to determine my offset.
- Determine Turbo Multiplier (I started off at 40X which would give me 4 Ghz)
- Set vcore offset to - 0.005 and boot into windows. (Left everything else auto)
- Open CPU-Z and a stability tester of your choice (prime95/LinX/IBT)
- I did a Blend in Prime95 to simulate CPU 100% load.
- Check CPU-Z voltage and that is the vcore your CPU wants to boot @ 40X INCLUDING OFFSET the -0.005 (so if you're at 1.216 your board wants to boot at 1.221 w/o offset)
- After determining the vcore your CPU wants to boot at, adjust the Offset to what your vcore to be. (ex. 1.216 + -0.050 offset = 1.166V)
- It will not give the same vcore at a different multi say 42X, usually it will be more vcore so adjust accordingly!
**NOTE: AUTO does not equal 0.000 offset, AUTO setting is best used with stock and should not be used to determine offset. Essentially -0.005/+0.005 is the closest thing to AUTO if you're trying to overclock.

I prefer to start low and work my up when overclocking. As I want the lowest vcore w/ the highest OC. For my current OC I actually opted for the highest OC at stock vcore.

Other settings:
Load Line Calibration - still highly debated as to the benfits/risks of this setting across ALL MOTHERBOARDS. We only have 3 options AUTO/ENABLE/DISABLE, while others will have Low/Medium/Normal/High/Extreme etc.

**NOTE: This setting will affect your offset somewhat. With it enabeled your vcore at -0.005 will be higher than it is disabled.

ex. 41X w/ LLC DISABLED = 1.216V
41X w/ LLC ENABELED = 1.316V

- I have it at Disable, as my overclock is still very moderate. If you're trying to reach an overclock of 45X+ I'd consider enabling it if you have a hard time trying to get stable. If I had to guess Enable would be equivalent to Normal in a fully unlocked bios but, that is just a hunch as I haven't found any documentation on this for the -V LX.

PLL Overvoltage - Disable
Speedstep/C1E - Enable

EVERYTHING ELSE I LEFT AT AUTO/DEFAULT

Hope this was of use to someone.

I've included my moderate OC for comparison.

13+ hrs Prime95 stable, Custom Blend w/ 90% ram usage
41x116813hrs.jpg

Last edited:
cant understand why you guys are having so much trouble with clocking this i got i5 2500k overclocked at 4.5ghz straight out of box just changed multiplier no vcore settings just everything on auto ??? i did buy a artic cooling freezer 13 cooler. my cpu never passes 40c under full load prime 95 running 2hrs so i guess my choice of buying a none stock cooler was right looking at the temps some of you guys are getting just waiting for some mosfet cooling blocks then i am going to try for 4.8ghz pitty that asus leave them off the cheaper boards but pretty impressed so far :)

cant understand why you guys are having so much trouble with clocking this i got i5 2500k overclocked at 4.5ghz straight out of box just changed multiplier no vcore settings just everything on auto ??? i did buy a artic cooling freezer 13 cooler. my cpu never passes 40c under full load prime 95 running 2hrs so i guess my choice of buying a none stock cooler was right looking at the temps some of you guys are getting just waiting for some mosfet cooling blocks then i am going to try for 4.8ghz pitty that asus leave them off the cheaper boards but pretty impressed so far :)

What are your voltages, Idle and Load, can't be good if the offset it set to auto.

It can be quite tricky getting the offsets right, what I would advise you to do is start of by setting the offset to either -0.005 or +0.005, with whatever multiplier you have chosen, if you can't choose the LLC level, then leave it disabled until you start overclocking to 4.5GHz+.

As an example, you set the multiplier to 44x, offset to +0.005V
Once you boot into windows, open cpu-z and open IBT, set it to max ram and click start, keep an eye on cpu-z to see what your load voltage peaks up to, lets say it was 1.27V, now if you system is unstable or crashes under load (BSOD 101/124/etc), it means your vcore is too low, you will have to check the BSOD error code to be sure. Now to increase your vcore, you just add however much more voltage you want to your peak voltage, so if you got a peak of 1.27V, and you want 1.30V, just add 0.030V to your original offset of +0.005V, so your new offset will be +0.035.
Add in small increments to determine your stable voltage, same applies to a negative offset, start with -0.005V, if stable, drop the voltage by another 0.005V, with a a negative offset, you may get too low a voltage at idle, which can cause your system to crash, so keep an eye out for your idle voltages too.

If your system blue screens whilst booting into windows, your offset it too low, increase same way till it boots....

If you need more help let me know.

hi my core voltage goes up to 1.3v cpu set to 45x my original temps where incorrect i was using asus ai suite which does not show actual core temperatures i am now using realtemp. under idle i am getting on average around 28c to 31 max under load anywhere between 58c to 68c . i have been playing rage for the last 8 hrs. no BSOD and no crashes or weird stuff system is 100% stable so far i did run prime 95 for 4hrs other day with np and IBT on max settings without any problem i will try for a higher OC when my mosfet coolers arrive my friend is custom making them for me :) nice to have crazzy engineer friends with milling machines in there garages :). thanks for the advice i guess when i try for 4.8ghz the vcore settings really matter will let you know how i get on :) from what i can see on other sites lower vcore the better so i guess i will mess with that. nice board for a budget one pitty asus decided to be cheap and not put on the mosfet coolers :( they are pretty crucial at higher clock speeds but MB is only getting up to 30c so i guess its ok.

What are your voltages, Idle and Load, can't be good if the offset it set to auto.

It can be quite tricky getting the offsets right, what I would advise you to do is start of by setting the offset to either -0.005 or +0.005, with whatever multiplier you have chosen, if you can't choose the LLC level, then leave it disabled until you start overclocking to 4.5GHz+.

As an example, you set the multiplier to 44x, offset to +0.005V
Once you boot into windows, open cpu-z and open IBT, set it to max ram and click start, keep an eye on cpu-z to see what your load voltage peaks up to, lets say it was 1.27V, now if you system is unstable or crashes under load (BSOD 101/124/etc), it means your vcore is too low, you will have to check the BSOD error code to be sure. Now to increase your vcore, you just add however much more voltage you want to your peak voltage, so if you got a peak of 1.27V, and you want 1.30V, just add 0.030V to your original offset of +0.005V, so your new offset will be +0.035.
Add in small increments to determine your stable voltage, same applies to a negative offset, start with -0.005V, if stable, drop the voltage by another 0.005V, with a a negative offset, you may get too low a voltage at idle, which can cause your system to crash, so keep an eye out for your idle voltages too.

If your system blue screens whilst booting into windows, your offset it too low, increase same way till it boots....

If you need more help let me know.

Nice overclock, 4.5GHz at 1.3V, I would run prime over night, 12 hours just to insure a good amount of stability.
And the mosfet cooler is a good idea, from what I can tell the motherboard does have mounting holes for a mosfet cooler but I guess Asus decided to save a few pennies by removing it....

I realize this is relatively old thread but it's one of the very few discussions I've found in regards to the ASUS P8Z68-V LX on the web. As there aren't too many owners with this board, information is scarce. Everything I've learned has been from my own experiences or other people's experiences that I have read about.

Most ASUS P8Z68 owners don't realize -V LX/LE have some of the OC BIOS featured locked when compared to their bigger brothers. (most notably Manual Vcore adjustments/LLC settings besides enabled/disabled/auto.) This has led to some inaccurate suggestions by these owners.

The settings -V LX owners do have access to is really all you need for moderate overclocks. I will try to address a few of these settings hopefully someone will find this information somewhat useful.

Overclocking with this board is as easy or easier as the other ASUS Z68 boards. Basically keep BCLK at 100.00 and change the multiplier.

VCORE adjustment might be the only setting that may seem troublesome to use. As I've touched on in the beginning, we're only given "Offset mode." Manual vcore adjustment would make the overclocking experience faster but Offset is the superior option. I'd be more upset if this board didn't have Offset adjustments.

To get your vcore at what you want it to be is relatively easy. These are the steps I take to determine my offset.
- Determine Turbo Multiplier (I started off at 40X which would give me 4 Ghz)
- Set vcore offset to - 0.005 and boot into windows. (Left everything else auto)
- Open CPU-Z and a stability tester of your choice (prime95/LinX/IBT)
- I did a Blend in Prime95 to simulate CPU 100% load.
- Check CPU-Z voltage and that is the vcore your CPU wants to boot @ 40X INCLUDING OFFSET the -0.005 (so if you're at 1.216 your board wants to boot at 1.221 w/o offset)
- After determining the vcore your CPU wants to boot at, adjust the Offset to what your vcore to be. (ex. 1.216 + -0.050 offset = 1.166V)
- It will not give the same vcore at a different multi say 42X, usually it will be more vcore so adjust accordingly!
**NOTE: AUTO does not equal 0.000 offset, AUTO setting is best used with stock and should not be used to determine offset. Essentially -0.005/+0.005 is the closest thing to AUTO if you're trying to overclock.

I prefer to start low and work my up when overclocking. As I want the lowest vcore w/ the highest OC. For my current OC I actually opted for the highest OC at stock vcore.

Other settings:
Load Line Calibration - still highly debated as to the benfits/risks of this setting across ALL MOTHERBOARDS. We only have 3 options AUTO/ENABLE/DISABLE, while others will have Low/Medium/Normal/High/Extreme etc.

**NOTE: This setting will affect your offset somewhat. With it enabeled your vcore at -0.005 will be higher than it is disabled.

ex. 41X w/ LLC DISABLED = 1.216V
41X w/ LLC ENABELED = 1.316V

- I have it at Disable, as my overclock is still very moderate. If you're trying to reach an overclock of 45X+ I'd consider enabling it if you have a hard time trying to get stable. If I had to guess Enable would be equivalent to Normal in a fully unlocked bios but, that is just a hunch as I haven't found any documentation on this for the -V LX.

PLL Overvoltage - Disable
Speedstep/C1E - Enable

EVERYTHING ELSE I LEFT AT AUTO/DEFAULT

Hope this was of use to someone.

I've included my moderate OC for comparison.

13+ hrs Prime95 stable, Custom Blend w/ 90% ram usage
41x116813hrs.jpg

You deserve MAJOR props for this man. This is the first and only detailed guide explaining how to use the offset on the P8Z68-V LX board. A lot of the extreme overclockers guys just don't get why someone would want to overclock (moderately) with "inferior" equipment.

I used this guide and it worked great. Finding a baseline for my vcore to work off of before was a nightmare. The vcore seemed to do whatever it want no matter what settings I used.

Please answer me this though:

I have LLC and PLL disabled. I don't like the idea of the mobo randomly boosting my vcore whenever it feels like it. I want a hard cap of 1.2vcore. Right now, under full Prime95 load, my vcore stays stable at 1.2 which is what I have the offset at. Why is it that my vcore still randomly spikes to 1.25? Any ideas?

If this is natural vdroop I can happily accept it and carry on. PS I am running 4.0ghz @ 1.2vcore stable on stock HSF. Picked up a nice little boost in BF3 performance. I am happy so far.

Appreciate it. I remember scouring the net for information on this board, I'm glad it was of use to you.

To answer your question... yes, that should be Vdroop. You can try lowering your offset vcore some more so it doesn't hit 1.25v on the high end.

Hi!
Sorry for posting in an old thread, but I just wanted to contribute.
I finished my OC this weekend (successful 12h prime95) with this setup.

I'm using a Noctua NH-12 as cooler.

Settings are:

Vcore +0.005
Turbo Voltage +0.004

PLL Enabled
LLC Enabled

See screenshot for more info.

lR1O9xr.png

Back