• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k on Asus P8Z68-V LX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crystalol

Registered
Hi guys, recently decided to treat myself to a christmas present and upgrade my old Phenom II X2 555 (unlocked to x4 and oc'd to 3.6, prime stable) to a i5 2500k.

So I'm using all of my old hardware, except new mobo + cpu. Now I haven't owned an intel chip since Pentium 4's, and never overclocked one so I was wondering if I could get some pointers from someone with the same/similar mobo.

I'm using a Asus P8Z68-V LX , 600w ocz stealthxstream, 8GB(4x2) ddr3 1333 (crucial cheap stuff, seems to be in the supported ram list at least). In terms of cooling I'll use a new freezer 7 pro so I'm aiming for the 4.5ghz with safe temps.

So onto the questions!

Can I simply up the multiplier and adjust the vcore to achieve a stable 4.5ghz?

Are there any options I need to enable/disable (turbo core or that kinda stuff, as I say I'm an intel noob)

Anyone using this motherboard (or one with a similar bios) can give me some pointers on what to change/where to get to my 4.5ghz aim?

Is 4.5ghz going to effect the life on my chip significantly if I'm within 5c of the safe temp often?

Will the arctic freezer pro 7 be sufficient cooling in my antec 300 case? 2x 120mm front fans, 1x 140mm top fan, 1x120mm rear fan.

I've read the big thread on "4.5ghz" but still would love some advice tailored to navigating this mobo's bios
Any advice is greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

Last edited:
Make sure you have a sufficient cooler, just finally got my i5 2500k/5970/8gb 1886mhz ram running today!

Hi guys, recently decided to treat myself to a christmas present and upgrade my old Phenom II X2 555 (unlocked to x4 and oc'd to 3.6, prime stable) to a i5 2500k.

So I'm using all of my old hardware, except new mobo + cpu. Now I haven't owned an intel chip since Pentium 4's, and never overclocked one so I was wondering if I could get some pointers from someone with the same/similar mobo.

I'm using a Asus P8Z68-V LX , 600w ocz stealthxstream, 8GB(4x2) ddr3 1333 (crucial cheap stuff, seems to be in the supported ram list at least). In terms of cooling I'll use a new freezer 7 pro so I'm aiming for the 4.5ghz with safe temps.

So onto the questions!

Can I simply up the multiplier and adjust the vcore to achieve a stable 4.5ghz?

Are there any options I need to enable/disable (turbo core or that kinda stuff, as I say I'm an intel noob)

Anyone using this motherboard (or one with a similar bios) can give me some pointers on what to change/where to get to my 4.5ghz aim?

Is 4.5ghz going to effect the life on my chip significantly if I'm within 5c of the safe temp often?

Will the arctic freezer pro 7 be sufficient cooling in my antec 300 case? 2x 120mm front fans, 1x 140mm top fan, 1x120mm rear fan.

I've read the big thread on "4.5ghz" but still would love some advice tailored to navigating this mobo's bios
Any advice is greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

Actually if you're talking about the one I wrote it is geared towards ASUS bios terminologies as to settings so the terms and wording used in the bios will be very reflective of what is in the guide. You'll have an Ai tuner section to set your multiplier and voltages :bday:, an onboard devices section, a boot section, and so forth, organized like little folders. You can use a mouse in this particular boards bios if you wish to. I run oldskool with the keyboard though hehe.
Merry Christmas

I think he'd need a more detailed version of that post with all due respect.

Crystalol if you have the right parts and follow the guide correctly you should be ok.

Last edited:
Hi guys, small update. I got my new parts and got to overclocking. Took an hour or two to get the settings right (the vcore is a little weird on this mobo/bios).

Currently it's running @ 4.5ghz 1.336vcore. Now there is no simple way of changing the vcore so it had to be done through offset and turbo offset. I basically reduced to first by like -.0.0010 and upped the turbo by 0.400 . I left LLC on. I tried at 1.275 - 1.325 and cores kept failing under prime 95. Perhaps I was doing the offset voltage settings wrong as I'm new to them. Or my chip just likes more juice.

It's not an amazing overclock but it seems stable thus far. The idle temp is a little high I think, but that's because I have c states turned off I guess, so it sits at 4.5 all the time. cores idle between 33-38, package around 38.

I ran Prime95 for abour 2 hours, no errors and my temps are just about safe under that (all cores under 68c, package however sits around 72c). I've been using the machine for 24hours and so far it seems 99% stable (had one bsod on desktop, but I believe it was becuause I forgot to install USB3 drivers, since doing so I haven't had a single issue)

Intel burn test set to "high" temps sit on 70-72 on cores, 75-77 on package.

Should I be paying attention to the package temp or just worry about core?

Also under HWmonitor I've got 2 temps called CPUTIN and AUXTIN, they are always 60c+, no idea what they are or why they are so high.

Any advice/input greatly apprecaited. Particularly if you know how to best deal with those offset voltages as I kinda just messed around until it was showing 1.33/1.34 in windows. The actual input in the bios seemed to have a different effect once in windows.

Ok I just ran IBT on maximum for 10 passes. It passed and temps were all under 80c, however I noticed my vcore would spike upto 1.37 under this test. I must of ****ed up somewhere with my bios settings ?

Ok, turns out that bsod was my overclock. I just recreated it after a few hours of stress testing again.

Now I can't seem to get a stable 4.5 no matter what I do, so I'm now trying 4.2

I've currently reverted to defaults in bios.

I just tried a -0.020 offset, with turbo +0.015 I think it was. With LLC on. Ran prime95 blend for about 40mins, was opening eventviewer to check something, was very sluggish, mouse stopped, then came back after like 20seconds, happened again 10minutes later and then screen flashed pink, cursor still there. Shut it down.

I really don't think it's my graphics card, but the screen looked like a GPU issue. Anyway, I'm now currently testing 4.2, -0.005 offset on cpu with LLC disabled. It's running at 1.24v in prime 95 (spiked to 1.3 for a split second), temps are really low.

I can't figure out what is up, I wish this bios had a simple way of setting the vcore, as the values I put in the offset/turbo offset don't seem to reflect what I see in cpu-z/hwmonitor. Also the bios shows a much lower than bios than what I'm getting in the OS.

Hope someone with this board can come in and lend me some tips!

You're super lucky if you can hit 4.5ghz below 1.3v.. Why are you trying to reduce voltage in the offset? The low vcore is probably why you're bsod'ing.
Ignore CPUTIN and AUXTIN. Pay attention to all of the core temps, but the package temp is the most important.

I have to reduce the offset, because on auto it's 1.42, and if I try +0.005 it's like 1.372.

So in order to try and get at or below 1.35vcore I have to reduce the offset, and then up the turbo offset. It's very weird and quite frankly I don't understand it.

I'm hoping someone with this motherboard can chime in. As I say, the vcore readings in the bios are not what I see when I get into windows. Also the changed I make to the offset do not reflect the changes I am seeing in windows.

Same Board, same frustration

Crystalol,

I feel your pain. I have the same board and config, and all the guides I read prior to building my computer went out the window once I found that I could only use offset mode for Vcore.

FWIW, I'm able to achieve stability (I think...i've only run Prime95) with 43x using an offset of +.005V. My temperatures hover around 61 degrees and peak at 63 degrees (have hyper 212+)

I never did anything with turbo boost offset.

Is your VCore stable? When I read mine via CPU-Z, it bounces around between 1.264 and 1.272, sometimes going as high as 1.28!

Hi Dan. Great to have someone with same mobo chime in.

I found a stable 4.2 overclock with +0.015. I've moved over to upping the cpu multiplier instead of turbo.

That was it would probably have set the best settings for OC.
Currently I have these settings, would like to compare to yours:

CPU Multiplier 42
vcore offset +0.015
Turbo Mode disabled
Disabled PLL Overvoltage
Disabled LLC
Disabled CPU Spread Spectrum
C1E auto
C3 auto
C6 enabled

With these settings the cpu underclocks its self to 1.6ghz and the vcore drops to 0.82 during idle. Which I feel is beneficial the longevity of chips life, and hasn't so far effected performance or stability. Done about 6hours prime95 over night, and 20 runs of intel burn test maximum. Temps stayed around 60. Vcore would float between 1.26 and 1.30.

I'm now trying your 43 multi with 0.005+, and all the other settings I mentioned the same. Currently about an hour into prime95, looking good. vcore between 1.25/1.28 during P95 so far.

I had much larger spikes with LLC on, in intelburntest it would spike up by like 0.3/0.4

Last edited:
Well one worker failed an hour into the test with the above settings at 43 0.005+

I think I'll just go back to 42 0.015+ for now and wait until I get some definitive settings to try. I'm not sure at all anymore!

****ing hell this is proving hard to get stable!

It passed prime95 / IBT at 4.2 - 0.010+. However it just locked up at idle speeds (noticed vcore dipped to 0.72)

So I've renabled LLC (which has in turn increased my vcore to like 1.32 under load). Hopefully this works. I don't really want to run the chip at 4.2ghz 100% of the time. So I'm trying with LLC, Speedstep and C1E enabled. PLL and CPU Spread Spectrum disbaled (although to be entirely honest I've no idea what these 2 settings do)

So far these settings are stable under load tests / gaming. The crashes tend to happen at idle for me.

You're not using a negative offset right? I know I've read that using a negative offset can cause the idle voltage to drop so low as to BSOD.

I haven't played much more. I echo your complete lack of understanding with seeing a correlation between what I set the offset to and what appears in CPU-Z.

Kind of wish I payed extra for the PRO version of the MBO

You're not using a negative offset right? I know I've read that using a negative offset can cause the idle voltage to drop so low as to BSOD.

I haven't played much more. I echo your complete lack of understanding with seeing a correlation between what I set the offset to and what appears in CPU-Z.

Kind of wish I payed extra for the PRO version of the MBO

with LCC I need a negative offset to keep the volts below 1.35 even. Otherwise any positive with LCC enabled is like 1.42 load.

Currently im at -0.025 with

Turbo Mode Enabled
Turbo Clock x42
Speedstep Enabled
Disabled PLL Overvoltage
Enabled LLC
Disabled CPU Spread Spectrum
C1E Enabled
C3 Disabled
C6 Disabled

Seems stable so far. 20 passes IBT, 2hours of P95. Been gaming for about 3 hours / browsing net. No idle crashes thus far. The vcore doesnt go below 0.93 idle now, and doesn't exceed 1.33 under IBT maximum. How do you have the various other options set if you don't mind me asking? Does your cpu underclock/undervolt at idle?

Last edited:
Crystalol,

I feel your pain. I have the same board and config, and all the guides I read prior to building my computer went out the window once I found that I could only use offset mode for Vcore.
I too should have, would have and could have bought the Pro instead of the LX. It is difficult to find a discussion about this particular board so I thought I'd share what I did.

P8Z68-V LX [email protected] 1.360v
AI TWEAKER
AI tuner: manual
BCLK : 100
turbo ratio: by all cores
By all Cores : 45
Internal PLL Overvolt: enabled
mem freq : 1600
Dram: auto
CPU offset : +
CPU : (1.270) .105 (first red setting!)
dram: (1.5) Auto
Vccio: (1.050) Auto
PCH : (1.050) Auto
Load Line Calibration: Disable
CPU Spread Spectrum: enabled

This gives me 1.336v max with prime 95, 1.360v max with Boinc and certain games. Noctua D-14 keeps it around 58-63c under full load.
I've had it to 4.7 but it takes far more than 1.4v
4.6 hits as high as 1.4v under load so I stay at 4.5Ghz.
Suits me:thup:

hello all. I would like to say thanks for all the great info on this thread. i been reading it and trying and trying to get my system to OC correct but it seems like something just is giving me a problem.

i will start off by telling u all what is in side and all that fun stuff
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor
Builder Series 600 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF912 Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
HyperX blu 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
Antec Kühler H2O 620 CPU Cooler

well now thats out the way let me start by what i have done and what maybe i need to do.

well the first week the computer was stable as can be at 4.2GHZ i ran prime for hours and also the intel burn test passed on MAX so i was pleased with the results. I started to muck around with the settings in the auto tuner and the computer started to act not stable anymore. I re ran the intel burn test and watched it fail on MAX on the 2nd to 3rd test of 10 so i started to re read all the info on the web and stuff to find out what may have caused this problem. after much reading it seems that the VCORE was set lower then it should have been by my mistake it was set to 1.250 instead of atleast 1.350
i went back and reset everything to try to match what it was before it seems that i failed at doing that because any time i run the MAX stress test it seems to fail at the 2nd to 3rd test.
I then reset my bios and set to auto it sets the 3.7GHZ and passes MAX test any time i then clicked auto tune button to extreme and it pushes the CPU to 4.3GHZ with a vcore of 1.450 and it still makes the test fail so its not stable at all there. I played around with the bus and set it to 100x and lowered the multiplier to 40 and still seems not to be stable. it seems that im missing something because 3.7GHZ its fine and 3.8GHZ its fine but after that it seems the settings need to be tweaked to make it stable after that.

is there anyone out there that can give me a full run down of there bios settings - i will match them and test it out and see what happends.

there is not alot of info about overclocking on this board on the web and really maybe 2 sites that talk about it. everything i really done from the 2 sites seem to be unstable to me.

running at 3.7GHZ & 3.8GHZ the cpu never goes pass 60c
running at 4.0GHZ it seems to go pass 60c a bit but never goes to 70

any one out there that can point me in the right direction this is killing me lol

- im going to test out what Shoechew posted above me to see what happends

hello all.
- im going to test out what Shoechew posted above me to see what happends

I hope it works out for you.

What I gather is that the Load line calibration setting is the problem. The guys above all have it enabled and it adds too much voltage so they try to offset negatively. I have LLC off and have to add the voltage with a positive offset. The voltage jumps around from 1.33 to 1.36 as it runs but no goes higher.

I hope it works out for you.

What I gather is that the Load line calibration setting is the problem. The guys above all have it enabled and it adds too much voltage so they try to offset negatively. I have LLC off and have to add the voltage with a positive offset. The voltage jumps around from 1.33 to 1.36 as it runs but no goes higher.

well after i tested your settings it seems still not to be stable
my vcore still seems to be jumping higher then 1.36 also my +5 rail seems to almost dip below the 5.00 line when i run the settings that u posted.

Im going to see if the LCC is diabled in the bios
this board is a killer lol

Back