• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaks-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the support, I haven't much time to spread my knowledge (busy schedules) so I create threads like this which are here all the time, when I'm not.
Its a great feeling to help your fellow man.

:)
M_N

Hello, I did the volt mod for the R8500 (OEM), and I got the memory to 3.66-3.70. However the flash util and powerstrip doesn't change the memory/core speeds. I'm not sure why, I think it may be a problem with powerstrip. I would raise it and apply the new settings, but it would just go back to 250/250.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I use another program instead of Pstrip?

Welcome to the Forums:)

The first thing that comes to mind is the version of Video Card drivers you are using, the Official Drivers don't always allow overclocking, but the BETA drivers (pre-release officials geared towards Performance) do so try downloading the latest Beta's.

Try downloading a newer version of powerstrip (or even an older one) to see if that makes a difference if the problem still arises.
Otherwise it could well be an old driver or BIOS setting related to the Video Card, if need be check your version of Powerstrip is compatible with the version of Windows you are currently imploying.

If you are still encountering problems make sure Powerstrip is setup correctly, i.e. The Apply current settings at startup tab is checked.
And don't forget to press Apply for the settings to take immediate effect.

Hope this helps,
M_N:)

Thanks for your help, appearantly I didn't flash properly, but now it's fixed :)

Btw, I love the site and the forums, both really helpful.

Theres such thing as burning in? lol thats a new one for me, this is something i must look into more, my entire computer education i never heard of burning in heh! Thx this is very helpful...
My moto is most like "burning out" , i sorta fry things :burn:

Z-buffer:
Saves memory bandwidth. Look at every pixel from your angle, the closer one(the one you see) will be in z-buffer and drawn. For transparencies the pixel in front and behind are combined.

I dunno how 16bit is better than 32bit other than efficiency.

Triple Buffering:
Makes the game look smoother and on newer cards run faster. Triple buffer lets the card render foreground, background, and..one scene that the card is currently working on.

The background hardly moves(ex: a sky), foreground is whatevr you look at, while the next frame is drawn. As opposed to drawing the background everytime with the foreground and next frame all at once.

MospeadasDark said:
Could you define AGP Fast Write and Sidebanding? Also put the Win2k/WinXP refresh rate fix for good measure.

got this from reviews at Digit-Life.com:

fastwrites allows direct transfer of geometrical data from cpu to gpu omitting the system memory; the explanation for the sba below.

thats why both use to bring about huge instability.

Last edited:
oTTO said:

got this from reviews at Digit-Life.com:

fastwrites allows direct transfer of geometrical data from cpu to gpu omitting the system memory and sba works with the cpu like this: if the cpu bus frequency is 133 MHz, the 66 MHz AGP and CPU works synchronously

I don't get that part. Different bus speeds. Data transfer rates would be all messed up depending on 1X/2X/4XAGP, then there's the XP dual and P4 quad bus.

That's prolly why it causes such instability?

well MospeadasDark, there is something else lacking to make that part more comprehensive, in addition to it:

"with sideband addressing, AGP uses 8 extra "sideband" address lines which allow the graphics controller to issue new addresses and requests simultaneously while data continues to move from previous requests on the main 32 data/address lines. using SBA mode improves efficiency and reduces latencies."
Intel

"Sideband Addressing introduces a separate address/command bus, the Sideband Address Port. Because the SBA and data buses are not multiplexed, the graphic controller can use the SBA to make data requests without interrupting the data bus."
RojakPot.com

as you see i had to gather some information in order to get that part explained better. then the synchronous part of the problem actually is about the 8 additional ports that SBA use to communicate with the controller/cpu synchronously. i need a cigarrete... ;)

MospeadasDark said:
Z-buffer:
Saves memory bandwidth. Look at every pixel from your angle, the closer one(the one you see) will be in z-buffer and drawn. For transparencies the pixel in front and behind are combined.

I dunno how 16bit is better than 32bit other than efficiency.

16bit z buffers arent better :D . The use of a z buffer is to store the final coordinate value that applies to the z axis(hence the name Z buffer). A coordinate is made up of three values(regarding to 3d), the x,y, and z. The z vlaue is what gives an image depth. A 32 bit z buffer would be better than a 16 bit not only because it allows for more precise values but also more range.

Some of the main processes that heavily use z buffers are HSR, anti aliasing, texture layering, and of course isometries.

JokerHCG said:
(...)A 32 bit z buffer would be better than a 16 bit not only because it allows for more precise values but also more range.

this can often also to correct rendering errors in 3d applications.

Really Interesting:
Testers said that turning On, of AA and AF must be
together and at maximum level,

or else
will receive bad SmoothVision (worse picture than initial) due to card consider AF is On.
At lower levels you can receive also worsening picture than initial.
Due to notbad results of bad approximation appears or not visible at best.(Or rarely good happens).

Example:
ATI RADEON 8500 make lover texture detalisation, with AA tiurining On relying on
Super Sampling, but results is worser became and corrects onle with AF turning On.

Last edited:
vgrigor3 said:
Really Interesting:
Testers said that turning On, of AA and AF must be
together and at maximum level,

or else
will receive bad SmoothVision (worse picture than initial) due to card consider AF is On.
At lower levels you can receive also worsening picture than initial.
Due to notbad results of bad approximation appears or not visible at best.(Or rarely good happens).

Example:
ATI RADEON 8500 make lover texture detalisation, with AA tiurining On relying on
Super Sampling, but results is worser became and corrects onle with AF turning On.

Ya know, that sounds like a helpful post, but I can't dig thru all the grammar and spelling mistakes to make any sense of most of it. Some give this guy a funk and wagnals!

A couple of questions:

Newbie here so please bear with me...how can I run scan disk in Win XP Home? I currently have RegClean, is that tool enough for cleaning my registry? I HAD RegCleaner(?), but after running it and rebooting, my comps settings changed and some odd things happened (start button disappeared, couldn'taccess .txt files, etc.) so I returned all settings back to normal and uninstalled it. BTW, anyone know what it means to have a motherboard described as "Trigem Computer Inc Lomita"?

Last edited:
Hi Uone!
We were all Newbies once so don't feel bad, please if you need to know something don't hesitate to contact me.

To run scandisk:
Open My Computer > Right-Click on selected drives choose Properties > Then Scandisk > it will say it cannot run it unless you restart.
Once restarted it will run automatically.

Windows XP is reasonably ok with its registry but will need more than Regcleaner to clean it up, other than manually doing it (Start Run > Regedit > Edit/Search) you will need a program such as Norton System-Works 2002, if your not willing to spend that much money on a program such as that there are some Free programs which are mentioned within the links.

Other than that simply follow the Windows Optimization Guide to keep your registry clean.

If you need any more help please feel free to ask or PM me.
M_N

Back