• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaks-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Max, thanks for the quick response. I did what you suggested, however, I could not find an option to scan-disk in the properties menu, although there is a dis clean-up. Also, for registry cleaning, how is the program "Clean System Directory v.1.7"?

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4143,00.asp

In conjunction with RegClean, will that help clean the registry more efficiently or will I simply be doing the same thing twice using both programs?

i have a gf4ti4200 128 and i don't run anything on high or even close, i play games for the gameplay and not the looks, cause looks don't do anything cept cause problems in some games ( ESPECIALLY UT2K3 :( )

Fire said:
i have a gf4ti4200 128 and i don't run anything on high or even close, i play games for the gameplay and not the looks, cause looks don't do anything cept cause problems in some games ( ESPECIALLY UT2K3 :( )

start a new thread in this forum and im sure we can help you out!

i have a gf4ti4200 128 and i don't run anything on high or even close, i play games for the gameplay and not the looks, cause looks don't do anything cept cause problems in some games ( ESPECIALLY UT2K3 )

Looks add alot to a game. If gameplay was the only consideration then we would all still be playing Commodor 64's or something.
I totally agree that gameplay is one of the most important considerations, but balance is essential. Something interesting but thoroughly ugly is just as bad as shallow and goreous-looking. Well in my book anyway, maybe the probs you are getting stem from other than the TI4200, like Malakai said POST your prob. Someone here is bound to be able to help you!!

This is a cool thread, but would u mind if I put some of these tweaks on my website? My website is a tweaking/newbie website, and it is in my profile if you wanna see it.

Uone,

In the properties section of the Drive, there is a error-checking option. Basically its the new name for scandisk, sorry for not mentioning it before.

The Program is ok but like many free programs won't find everything, theres no harm in trying a few to experiment with but I've found that Regcleaner along with Norton Systemworks 2002 seems to keep everything neat.
You can never delete all the un-used keys so the best thing to do is not to install the programs in the first place! It sounds simple but make a habbit of installing them on an old/testbed machine first!
If you need any more help, feel free to ask :)

quegyboe,

Sure!
I would prefer if the whole article were to be included but thats your decision, as long as credit is given to me and its visible then go for it!.
A link to the Forums may also be a Good idea.

Good Luck with the site!
M_N

Hi Maximus Nickus, i got a question.
on your link for the XP tweaks, i was unable to find the fast shutdown, but i did find the fast boot. could you please show me EXACTLY where it is, if it's not too much trouble for you.
thanks
Donnie

Maximus, viewing the above links on the Nvidia refresh rate fix....
how do i know which one to use 1 or 2 ?
or do i need both ?

Here is a 3D Mark tip. For win ME and lower run only 256 ram. More than that slows the comp down. I am guessing that's because CPU cycles are wasted addressing the extra ram.

For XP run just 512. Same reason.

I dont really understand why people have 1 gig of ram. What program uses that much in a non server PC?

Last tip is to run the most agressive memory timings u can. Newer boards seem to have choices like this:

safe
normal
fast
fastest
turbo
ultra

Most comps default is "normal". Avg ram can run at least "fastest". Top notch ram can run turbo or ultra. This will make a several hundred pts difference in 3d mark.

Thanks for putting this list of links together, and for your thoughts about defragmenting and the order in which to install drivers. This thread a useful resource.

I find it very helpful indeed. You've helped make OC.com what it is! Cheers to you, Maximus Nickus!

Samoyed said:
for ME... run only 256 ram. More than that slows the comp down...For XP run just 512...I dont really understand why people have 1 gig of ram. What program uses that much in a non server PC?

Forgive me Samoyed, I'm struggling with that one, a little; are you sure of that? It's not what I would have expected

Would there be any way to get some links for volt modding a R9000 Pro? Actually, volt modding in general would be cool. Also, maybe some comparisons between different types of tweaks like what you can expect in general if you were to volt mod, water cool, peltier cool so people can have a better idea of which is right for them. I'm not sure that made too much sense but if not, i'll try to explain it better.

Hi asecmt!,

First off I am very sorry for the late reply, I just haven't checked this Thread in a while! Please accept my apologies.
You can use either of the Nvidia Refresh Rate fix's, its simply up to you.

The Fast Shutdown how-to is Right Here!

M_N

OCn00b said:
Would there be any way to get some links for volt modding a R9000 Pro? Actually, volt modding in general would be cool. Also, maybe some comparisons between different types of tweaks like what you can expect in general if you were to volt mod, water cool, peltier cool so people can have a better idea of which is right for them. I'm not sure that made too much sense but if not, i'll try to explain it better.

I have updated the Volt Mod links, the 9000 Pro is there!
As for your suggestion it wouldn't really work, it doesn't make any difference if you Peltier/Water/Air cool as to what Volt Mods you do, hence why its how it is. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Samoyed said:
Here is a 3D Mark tip. For win ME and lower run only 256 ram. More than that slows the comp down. I am guessing that's because CPU cycles are wasted addressing the extra ram.

For XP run just 512. Same reason.

I dont really understand why people have 1 gig of ram. What program uses that much in a non server PC?

Last tip is to run the most agressive memory timings u can. Newer boards seem to have choices like this:

safe
normal
fast
fastest
turbo
ultra

Most comps default is "normal". Avg ram can run at least "fastest". Top notch ram can run turbo or ultra. This will make a several hundred pts difference in 3d mark.

Actually I disagree with this, you see it really depends on every system, like I said in my guide every system is different and therefore you adjust its settings accordingly.
I get a better score with 768MB RAM than I do with 256 or 512MB RAM in Windows XP.

Experiment with your system to find out what settings work better for you. :)

M_N

Maximus Nickus said:

I always run my rigs 100% stable, one crash in a Month and its unstable for me,...

Maximus Nickus:)

lol, you must not have a 5 year old mashing on your keyboard with his plastic hammer and removing disks while programs are running, etc...:D

what about AGP apature? What should that be set for? What aobut for the card in my sig?

Back