• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking just because

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rod911

Registered
I previously had my daily overclock at 4.5Ghz and through some late night play time, found that my highest multi/speed I could get to at max voltage (ie. 1.54v before overvoltage protection kicks in on my mobo) was 5.3Ghz (53x).

Seeing that most people here and the 'net in general are happy to use voltages of less than 1.35v for their daily overclock, I set out to see what I can achieve with that voltage. It turns out, 4.8Ghz at 1.325v was the final result.

48ghzat1325v.jpg

I initially thought 1.32v was enough, and it ran fine for a week, but I got a BSOD whilst playing a game, even though it passed memory and Prime95 tests just fine at that voltage. That's why I have added Unigine into the mix and the above is me running Unigine and Prime 95 at the same time for 2 hours. Another week of testing at 1.34v yielded no BSODs/errors, but I'm all about getting the voltage down to the lowest as I can whilst maintaining stability, and 1.325v got me that.

I'm happy to report that I now know where my CPU is at when it comes to speeds of 4.5Ghz, 4.8Ghz, 5.0Ghz, 5.2Ghz and 5.3Ghz if I ever need any of them. :)

For now, I'm using 4.8Ghz even though the clear bottleneck in my system at the moment is my GTX260 - that is until I go and X-Fire a pair of 7950s when they become available. :D :p Or I might go a single 7970/high end nVidia card considering I game on the one monitor only. We'll see what nVidia comes up with and I'll make the call then.

Last edited:
Back