• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Office 2010

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HammerHeadHank

Registered
Hi, I am looking for microsoft office 2010 I do have a student .EDU addy but for $99 is a little steep for me right now any suggestions ?
Thanks,HammerHeadhank

Getting it through your university is going to be the cheapest option, by far. Talk with your adviser to see if there are alternate routes. I know I can get Windows 7 and Office for $20 each.

Otherwise, Open Office/Libre Office is going to be your free option.

I find LibreOffice to be quite good. It's free and it has most of the capabilities of Office. Not all, but most.

if u want word/excel 2010 you can use someones office starter 2010 preinstalled copy by going to the file menu - there is an option to install a portable version of it to a flash drive

Also, if you know others that need it and can buy it together, or you have three machines to put it on, 3 user versions of it are regularly on sale for around $120. I got mine for $112, so about $37 apiece.

I find LibreOffice to be quite good. It's free and it has most of the capabilities of Office. Not all, but most.

Exactly this. Unless you use very fancy Excel formulas or advanced stuff in PowerPoint there is absolutely zero reason to buy Office these days. Oh and Libre/OpenOffice has a classic GUI, not the disgusting newfangled MS stuff where you never find what you're looking for.

Getting it through your university is going to be the cheapest option, by far. Talk with your adviser to see if there are alternate routes. I know I can get Windows 7 and Office for $20 each.

How... On... Earth!?
I'd kill to get some copies for that kind of price!

How... On... Earth!?

Yeah, many colleges/unis offer extremely low prices to students that go there. I get similar prices through my college. And before you ask, no I can't get you copies. Technically, anything I buy I have to uninstall and destroy the CD key as soon as I graduate :D

How... On... Earth!?
I'm not sure what you are asking about specifically, so I'll answer both questions. If you want details regarding how to obtain it, speak with your adviser to get details.

As to why they do it? It is simple and I'll explain it with the company I work with as an example. In my field of work, there are multiple software suites that write estimates for vehicles ("collision estimating"). When companies go to purchase these, they look at features, price, support and whatever they are familiar with. People that are training to get into the car repair business learn some software. We give out our product for free (this is usually 600+ a month software per license, and often much more) in a basically unlimited quantity to schools. Why? If they learn on our product, they will be inclined to use it or suggest it when they work at a shop.

Microsoft follows the exact same rule. Get people used to the Office suite and Windows, and people will use it for life.

People hate change. You wouldn't believe the number of people that complain about our flagship product that is replacing a program that is 15+ years old.

Yes. The first hit should always be free.
Can't you get Office 2003 for free? I know we have an unlimited license at work so that's what I download and use when I have to use Office (reluctantly.) But then you have to download the Office 2007 viewers and all the other stuff against planned obsolescence...

Is there some website that shows what various colleges get M$ products for somewhere? It seems like I had seen something linked years ago. And I am also looking for a good deal on Office 2010. Not for me (;) ), but rather for my daughter, who is an English major in college (2nd semester freshman). She's still running the old copy of Office 2000 I still use and with all the planned obsolescence with M$ products, it's getting to where she needs a more modern version.

Mudd, have her talk with their adviser. I don't know of a website that lists it out, but I know that you can get the $20 Windows/Office at any school.

My work has this offer too, but only for office.. not windows. Since we are a research hospital we are considered academic and thus qualify for the $10 office '10 suite (minus access)

On topic: I also never found a site that lists them out, though when there was that big $20 deal for win7 that was electronic download n stuff I think you could see a list of participating places there.. digitalriver?

Yep, OSU has similar pricing to what thiddy said, about $15-20 for Windows and Office and is sold out of the campus bookstore/copy place

Back