• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your Catalyst Control Center crashing? Read on for answers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also regged this forum just for this single matter.

I just bought a new computer with sapphire hd 7870 graphic card and installed 12.6 ccc. Now the driver wont work (every game or random graphic requiering thing when browsing will make my computer stop, the screen to flip on/off and then i get a system message that the graphic driver had stopped but was turned on again). And CCC wont open for me, it'll just crash.

I have the framework 4 installed (through windows update) and I have tried the regedit thing and I have tried numerous un-/reinstallations with driver sweeper etc.

So my problem is not just that I cant open CCC up, the driver wont work for me either. Please someone, give me an answer!

Best regards
tAUG

EDIT: I cant find that key in windows/assembly either

I also regged this forum just for this single matter.

I just bought a new computer with sapphire hd 7870 graphic card and installed 12.6 ccc. Now the driver wont work (every game or random graphic requiering thing when browsing will make my computer stop, the screen to flip on/off and then i get a system message that the graphic driver had stopped but was turned on again). And CCC wont open for me, it'll just crash.

I have the framework 4 installed (through windows update) and I have tried the regedit thing and I have tried numerous un-/reinstallations with driver sweeper etc.

So my problem is not just that I cant open CCC up, the driver wont work for me either. Please someone, give me an answer!

Best regards
tAUG

EDIT: I cant find that key in windows/assembly either

I had a similar problem and I realized there was no CCC in the system tray so I uninstalled through Control panel>programs and features
then ran Driver sweeper in safe mode and done a registry clean before installing again. Seems to be working fine now and for the first time at the
end off CCC installation I got a green tick rather than the ?. So here's hoping lol

Hopefully this helps someone :p

Apparently I lied, still getting lockups at stock clocks :eek:

For me everything that is graphically demanding locks up, and i've tried eeeeverything there's out here. So now i feel kinda sure it has to be my graphic card, i tried another pci card and it worked flawlessly and then i tried my card in that other computer and i couldnt make it work. And since it all is just out of the box i'm sending the card back and pray to God they wont make me wait too long...

Thanks man, the reg value workaround fixed the CCC not loading, even if I only have the .NET 4.0 framwork installed! (at least according to the Add/Remove windows program, but who knows..).

My Experience:
Catalyst/Windows consistently said it experienced an error and needed to close the program. Reboot and shortly would repeat.

I tried following the steps on this forum.
attachment.php

I set the value to 1.

However, after I rebooted, I could hear my computer running, but all monitors were blank. Receiving a signal that the PC was on, but displaying nothing. I couldn't even get to BIOS for some reason. I tried to boot off of a windows disc, among some other flailing.:sly:

So I decided to pull my graphics card and temporarily insert an ATI FirePro v4800 I had lying around (without loading any new drivers), that got me back into Windows. I removed the registry entry, powered down, put my HD 6950 back in, and I was back to square one at least. I tried to reload my CCC from the HD 6950 video card OEM disc to roll it back. But it said, after installing, that CCC and the new video driver weren't happy together. So I went and logged into XFX (video card manufacturer) and downloaded the latest for my card from them, and I seem to be all ok now.

Just to check, I went in to see if I had all the .NETs installed. I have heard you can have many at the same time, the task at hand will seek out the .NET it needs. And it looks like I have the ones I needed.

attachment.php

Just thought I would share my experience.

Win7 / 64 / i7 990x / SubZero Chiller / Rampage III Extreme / XFX HD 6950 / 12 GeeBees Corsair Dominator RAM

Last edited:
You are welcome guys. Remember to pass on the thanks to the original author of this fix if you can find him/her. :)

I've got this issue and have been pulling what's left of my hair out all day long trying to solve it. Just added the registry key, but can't reboot just yet to try it, as I'm in the middle of patching a game file. I hope to heck this fixes the issue, as I ONLY have .net 4.5 installed.

Attachments

• thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 678
helped me out!, thank you man, i was having Catalyst Control Center crash randomly and this fixed it

Just goes to show how useful these threads are, it's now 2015 and having rebuilt my PC (installing latest AMD drivers) I was about to tear my hair out...

Thanks to google and this thread I now have CCC running and can adjust my fan speed; it was only at 20% and my gpu temp was over 80 degrees C!!

Thanks for the help!

Not to continue bumping an ancient thread but instead of modifying CCC you can just use MSI Afterburner instead for the same result.

Back