• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you fix a rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaydu

I have a rad I bought used (last time I ever do that) it has a small leak. I tested it before I put it in my system luckily for me. Just curious can I fix this this rad. From what I can see its just screws where tighten to much and scratched the surface. Is this fixable and is it worth it? or more importantly would you use it after it was fixed(if possible)

JB Weld is your best friend here. I did that to my MCR220 and it sealed it up nicely.

Yes i did use it afterwards for about 3 months alongside a 360 rad and it did not leak once after i fixed it.

My advice:

Seal it with JB Weld, then put it in a bucket or plastic box and leak test it for a few days. If there is no water in the bucket/box I would say your good to use it.

Good Luck! :thup:

It should, it's saved a lot a rads here over the years. Use a toothpick to apply small dabs under those screw tabs.
I also highly recommend leak testing for a day or so, whatever you're comfortable with. Setting it on newspaper will also show where a tiny leak is.

i would think that a automotive radiator shop could fix these. They are of similar construction.

i would think that a automotive radiator shop could fix these. They are of similar construction.

+1 rad shops can usually fix them. but they cost money.

try JB weld first if that doesn't work I say go to a rad shop.

I woul take it to a rad shop as they will fix it permenently with solder. JB weld is great stuff but can and does come loose in time.

pick up the JB Weld yesterday and its stilling over a bucket. I will let it sit for a few days. Hopefully it works out and I can fit 2 rads into my current build.

i fixed a few friends rads with solder its rlly not hard to do. just make sure you do the prep work cleen the thing up then use flux and regular solder NOT ACID CORE.

death to the acid core solder. i can do a better job with fux and regular solder no matter what im working with

well its water tight after a day so a few more days and I will be adding a second rx240 into my loop. I have been shaking it ever few hours to see if it holds up.

even on electronics ive found acid core not to be neccesary. though it does make the job much easier for people who are not really experienced at soldering

great to hear you got the rad fixed though

Last edited:
even on electronics ive found acid core not to be neccesary. though it does make the job much easier for people who are not really experienced at soldering

great to hear you got the rad fixed though

I can't think of a specific example where I've needed it off the top of my head, but if you have particularly dirty contacts that you can't clean for some reason or another is when it's useful.

yes but if you dont have the ability or supplies to fix it with solder yourself there is not point in forking out the dough for a rad shop to do it like you and many others have found is that jb weld (or engine epoxy) works just fine.

Exactly.
I can solder it, I have the tools and know how to use 'em on a rad, but I'd still use JB Weld myself, and recommend it too.
Anyone can pull it off without issues. This is teh intarweb, you never know to whom you're giving advice. JB Weld has never burned down a garage, nor spattered acid flux in a kid's eyes.

I too can't stand acid core solder. If you can reach it with an iron, you can reach it with a syringe of flux.

Glad to hear it's working for you Jaydu! Gotta get up some pics when you get the new loop finished!

Last edited:
Reading the title instantly reminded me of the mythbusters episode where they fixed the car radiator by breaking a raw egg inside, it clogged the leak seemed to work but I don't think it'll help your case, good luck tho' :thup:

I bought a very damaged 360 rad from ebay once with 4 punctures, 2 very large, i would say about 3/4 the size of the screw that stabbed them and I used 2 part epoxy glue, worked a charm, had no leaks since and its been in my system 2 years now. best £7 i spent

Back