• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming mouse? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I was pretty happy with my recently purchased logitech RX250... until I was trying to shoot things in a tank.

It's not far off from what I would want in a mouse, though it's still not quite there.

So I was looking at the Logitech Performance mouse (which has a built-in charger), as well as the G500 and G700... all of which feature adjustable, on the fly DPI.

Which mice do you guys think is good for something like Battlefield 3?

^^ What he said. Reasonable price and works great. Half the games out there barely work with all those fancy game mice anyways so don't waste your money.

I use a G9x. I'm happy with it.. but I wouldn't pay for it again. I'd go for something simpler and sleeker. (as long as it's laster, has a good scroll wheel, and has DPI swap I don't mind).

So another G500 recommendation here. I said M60 more as a joke.. Though it's a nice mouse. Alternatively; if you want to spend more for something more funky.. A Saitek RAT 7 is an option.. lol

I have to put in another vote for Logitech G500... I've been using a Logitech G5 (the G500's predecessor) for years and its been fantastic.

G5 got replaced with the G500 ( I rma'd my dying G5). I was happy with the G5 and I'm even more happy with the G500. :thup:

Edit: last I checked, there was a G9 in the classies for pretty cheap.

G5 got replaced with the G500 ( I rma'd my dying G5). I was happy with the G5 and I'm even more happy with the G500. :thup:

Edit: last I checked, there was a G9 in the classies for pretty cheap.

Hmm... Is the G9 any good?

RAT 7 (Albino Edition for the 2012 part.)

Hands down the best mouse I have EVER used. I dont have the albino edition yet, but I am planning on getting that soon.

Hmm... Is the G9 any good?

The G9 is the best mouse I have ever used and will worth the money :D

12 megapixels/second Image processing
30G Max. acceleration
Up to 1000 reports/second USB report rate
8 million clicks Buttons (Left/Right)
Interchangeable grips
Next-generation gaming laser
Onboard memory
You can program up to five profiles (keyboard macros, dpi settings, and LED colors)
Weight-tuning system
Custom-color LEDs
On-the-fly adjustable dpi
Polytetrafluoroethylene feet that last longer then any mouse I've used, it's great. :clap:

Rainless, if you need a new mouse to shoot 120mm rounds from a tank, then God save you. Give up FPS and stick with Pacman.

Happy New Year to you my friend! :)

From the endurance term, the MX 518 is one of the stuff with highest building experience (almost legendary in that spec) and it comes with a 3 year warranty, thats rare. Actually i would only get Logitech stuff, when it comes to gaming mouses, they simply are most experienced with and you feel it. But the G5 is really to expensive for what its able to deliver. The MX518 is the best price to power ratio by far, thats still the case after so many years. It got aswell several DPI setting (adjustable "on the fly") and does not need any software for. Generally, laser mouses are more precise but, many great optical mouses are absolutly sufficient and they have great "frag" capabilitys, which is still hard to compete using a laser mouse. In term the G9 offer is good, its surely a good deal aswell. Just never ever get a wireless mouse, its a big annoyance to any gamer, it wont last long enough, that stuff is for 08/15 user, not for extreme users.

With aproximately 10 million clicks (according to Logitech) button lifetime the MX518 is the one who is still the flagship of the endurance, the others are more for additional performance but usualy are burned out faster. For me, endurance is king, because bad mouses are burned after only 1 year, even the expensive ones, its a waste of cash. Its aswell one of the few manufacturer who know whats important and are even writting it down.

Well the RAT7. its simply a rather inexperienced manufacturer, which might have great innovations but many of those have had it and finally failed at a certain spot, its usualy endurance. They can look as stable as they wish, its not failproof***. But for those who want to risk it, it surely is a fun new toy. It got endless adjustable stuff but that makes it aswell just pretty heavy and for some people in some way to complicated or unpleasant to use. Its simply "love it or hate it".

Many gaming mouses will be RIP after 1 year, because most of them cant stand a true gamers hand. All they are gonna say , manufacturers such as Steelseries, that they are not gonna replace it, so they kinda did expect the failure already... else they would not care to replace one of "the fews" who failed. ***In usual term, the main failure of those gaming mouses is that the left main button will start to malfunction, because the mechanics/electronics isnt of the required quality/experience. Steelseries is surely one of the worst offenders when it comes to quality, it might look good outside with a great "solid name" but its bad from the inside and its in no way comparable to steel.

But it totaly depends what someone want out of it. Best stuff is in my view, is not the one with endless functions but with a fail proof endurance and it just does what it have to do... working proper and precise by only using a few buttons and functions.

Technical specs doesnt truly matter, almost any good engine (such as MX518) is nowadays totaly foolproof and even works without a mouse pad. Its always nice to blend the buyers eyes with but the true power-mouse is the one build with quality and endurance, not the tech blender. It dont need to be expensive, it depends on the individuals need. I have had many expensive mouses dying quick, and some cheaper ones... keept alive.

So ultimately only those 3 could be "good to go" in my view:
MX518: Best price/power ratio + highest endurance but lesser functions
G9: Is in the middle spot and got the advantage of both, but doesnt exceed at anything
RAT: Is the most adjustable but it may lack reliability and isnt easy to maintain, aswell a bit heavy (need some skill and its truly love it or hate it)

Last edited:
Back