• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows install from flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Guys, I finally joined you in the 21st century!

I got a corsair survivor drive for christmas, and its pretty sweet :)

So I tore it out of the package and dropped my iso on, then wondered why I couldnt install windows..

So after I diskparted it ( :D ) my main computer was the first victim, since its os had been thrashed by some pretty nasty bllue screens previously.

It was rediculous, I think from the time I started the process to the time I had a working desktop only 6 or 7 minutes had passed by.. thats pretty gross :attn:

Now... I wish I had native usb3 support, so I wouldnt have to mess with drivers :p

I just got my first credit card 2 days ago... you never know! :eek:

fyi... windows vista and 7 you can just extract the iso right onto the root of any flash drive and boot off it so long as the BIOS supports booting from a usb storage device (which most do nowadays) ... no need for any fancy programs.

Not sure what original poster's question is?

If search engines hit this for people looking for instruction s on how to install Win7 from USB, then

Connect your USB Flash drive then type this in Windows 7/Vista DOS [Windows XP DOS cannot be used for this]:

• diskpart
• list disk
• select disk #
[of USB Flash drive]
• clean
• create partition primary
• select partition 1
• active
• format fs=NTFS quick
• assign
• exit

Now copy all contents of the extracted Windows 7 ISO to the USB Flash drive, then reboot and hold F8 (on most systems) to get a boot selection menu from which you can choose to boot from the newly created USB Flash Drive.

Optionally, delete autorun.inf (because autorun.inf files are now routinely intercepted by antivirus software.)

No there was no questions, I was just super excited that I got it to work lol , so I made this thread to blurb it out:)

I tried copying the contents of the iso over to the flash drive, and it wouldnt work at all :( I had to use diskpart for it to go... Maybe I just did something wrong?

You are correct. You cannot simply copy the contents.

You need to

Use Windows Vista or 7 DOS, not Win XP or earlier to do this and only after that copy the contents to your flash drive:

• diskpart
• list disk
• select disk #
[of USB Flash drive]
• clean
• create partition primary
• select partition 1
• active
• format fs=NTFS quick
• assign
• exit

Last edited:
I also had to go through this process the other day because I upgraded my computer but forgot I didn't have any SATA optical drives.

Worked great once I went through the steps

Back