• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review - First Results Up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DIRT 3 revisited ..AGAIN! FX @ 4.0 Ghz.

This is the FX-8150 @ 4Ghz vs the i5 2500K also @ 4Ghz

Now the FX-8150 is £30 more expensive then the i5 2500K, but £50 cheaper then the i7 2600K.

According to your bench the FX-8150 has 20% higher performance then the i5 2500K at the same 4Ghz clock, and from this it looks like the i7 2600K is not going to be much if any better at all @ 4Ghz

Whats more the FX-8120 which is the same CPU as the FX-8150 (only with a lower stock clock speed) is £5 cheaper then the i5 2500K, the FX-8120 should clock to 4Ghz just as well as its big brother.

I'm accumulating quite the collection of FX vs Intel gaming benches and its looking very good for the FX.

Thank's :)

This thing is not getting the credit it deserves (yet)

Attachments

• DIRT3-PATCH.png
    DIRT3-PATCH.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Fritz Chess Benchmark 4.3 results up! Tomorrow Cinebench 10

x264 FHD AND Cinebench 10 benchmark scores up!! Double Post today!!

SpecViewPerf 11 Scores up! Tomorrow Updating 7-zip with 2600k results!

7 zip / Cinebench 10 - Revisited up!! Next up is Diablo 3 Beta results!!

Bad news everyone, my ASUS Crosshair V is officially DEAD. I will be purchasing :

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+

With:

Geil Evo Two DDR3 - 2400 Mhz (2x4Gb)
(10-11-11-30)

--or --

Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 - 2133 Mhz (2x4Gb)
(9-11-10-27)

I am learning for simply the better ram, their prices are near identical.

By I am leaning more towards the Geil (I have had really bad history with Corsair except for their PSU's, that is three individual cases of faulty ssd / ddr3 ram)

Help me choose which ram I should get! I would love to get your guys' opinion on this! ^^

Also, I will be redoing my benchmarks with Windows 8 Consumer Preview!

Stay tuned for this Upgrade. and Results! Thanks for all the support and everybody's patience! ^^

Vote now here

http://AMDFX.blogspot.com

Here are some pics of my new motherboard + ram together. New Post with New benchmarks April 20th.

---

Exit
ASUS Crosshair V +
4 Gb Gskill 2200 CL7

---

Enter
GA-990FX-UD7 +
8 Gb Team Xtreem 2400 CL9

IMG-20120403-00126.jpg

The first thing that came to mind when I first laid eyes on my new Gigabyte 990FX UD7 board was that it was quite the beautiful board. Much respect for the simple PCIE 16x slot latches, the Crosshair V uses a more traditional type, and sleek heatsink design.

EDIT: It should be noted that I received a revision 1.1 board from Newegg Canada, and that it does have Load Line Calibration (LLC) controls in the bios.

IMG-20120403-00125.jpg

The new Team Xtreem DDR3 ram has a cheap but cool looking reflecting sticker, but what is most appealing are the stats: 2400 Mhz @ Cl9, which is only surpassed by Corsair's grossly overpriced and discontinued Dominator GT dual channel flagship memory.

IMG-20120403-00115.jpg

The memory height is not found online, and could be helpful to potential buyers.

Team Xtreem memory height : 52mm

Promlatech Genesis allowed height: 54mm

So this is awfully close to the tallest ram you could use with this cooler. I have seen Dominator GT ram at a height of 54mm barley fitting underneath the heat sink, found here, and a 53 mm Corsair Vengeance stick here.

IMG-20120403-00117.jpg

I am hoping to hit 2600 Mhz speeds with these sticks overclocked, and see exactly where 8 gb benefits over 4 gb with an AMD setup. We shall see in the weeks to come!

Glad to see they've brought version 1.1 to North America at least. Newegg would probably still be a crapshoot. You probably won't make DDR3-2600 for 24/7 use. Potentially for benchmarking and likely if you take the CPU sub-zero. The IMC scales really well with cold. It's not nearly as happy with ambient cooling.

I have seen this exact memory overclocked on air to around 2630 mhz at cl10 and able to run super pi 32m with a z68 board.

Your comparison is apples & oranges. I'm not implying the memory isn't capable, it probably is. My post was referring to Bulldozer's IMC. It's much stronger when frozen, running my DDR3-2400 kit at 2500+ without even needing to tweak anything...at -196°C. With ambient cooling, it doesn't do that. At least not as easily and definitely not stable.

Back