• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapp. 6970 Hissing Noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminatez

I currently own an AMD Sapphire 6970 (the original ones...rad and black..i think they are called ref. cards?). I bought it when it first came out, and after a couple months of having it it started to make a hissing noise..i asked around and people said it might be bad caps or something like that. I contacted Sapphire and they replaced it. (awesome service). So I now have had this replacement card and its the same thing...it now makes the same hissing noise. I normally notice the noise when "google chrome" is open? Also say I'm rendering something or when I'm in a game. I'm not sure what it is what do you guys think I should do?

System Specs:
AMD 6 core 1090t at 3.6 ghz.
Gigabyte 990fx ud3
8 gb ram Gskill ripjaws
1tb black drive (wd)
320 gb hdd (d) blue
corsair 750w

its just the vrms working! you will hear it when your playing a game too.... i have gotten that same hiss on every ati card i have owned.... i get it even in screen savers lol

So there's no point in RMAing it? How can I minimize the noise of the "vrms"? And how can I also be sure it's that?

you cant minimize it... it happens every time your card is put under any kind of load...when the card is put under load it draws more energy and the vrms start hissing..... its really not that loud unless you have the pc right next to your ear haha....

the vrms are what supply the card with voltage

Coil Whine. Nothing you can do about it except for maybe putting some clear nail polish on the coils, but that would likely void your warranty.

Not sure, I have not searched for it...

Just a liberal application on the top of the coil and let it drip down is what I have done.

Ahhh coil whine. The problem is that they're mechanically vibrating. Nail polish is supposed to keep it still, essentially. You might also be able to put some hot glue on it to absorb the vibrations.

Edit: FWIW, I had this problem on my 4950, but not my 5770 nor my 6950.

You guys talking about this? http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/190909d1302979860/coil-choke.jpg

Now...say I open my card and I apply hot glue to those babies, will they somehow transfer electricity if the hot glue is touching something else? What about with nail polish?

Did some research, and that using Paraffin actually works as well and is less likely to damage anything else....
Hot glue isn't conductive so you don't have to worry about that. The issue with hot glue is the heat, though if you're careful it's not a problem. That's what older coils look like. Nowadays some of them are in integrated packages.

I contacted Sapphire and said they would RMA it, although RMAing from sapphire takes quite sometime, also I asked if they can send me a newer model ofthe 6970 with dual fans...what do you think bro?

Back