• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Hardcore Tablet (?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Guys, it's been a while since i've posted anything here.
Lately i've been fooling around with my Nook Color tablet and I thought, heck! it would be quite cool to have one of these with an x86 CPU and overclock it even more (haha my tablet is running at 1.3ghz atm, 800mhz stock clocks...)
So, would it be possible to build at least some sort of all in one computer with a notebook battery as a PSU?
The touchscreen part i suppose might be quite tricky, but it's not such a big deal.
Specs, i was thinking about buying an AMD a8-3870k with an H60 cooler inside a custom built enclosure behind a LED monitor, 60gb SSD, 2x4gb ddr3 ram, no discrete GPU, gygabyte fm1 mobo, wireless keyboard and mouse.
Feedback most welcome! :salute:

No comments folks?
I'm awaiting for prices to drop on the 3870k...and hard drives, cause there's some problem with a flood in Thailand and mechanical drives have gone up in price. I'll start building this thing next month though.

Guys...what about the 3670k? ATM it's like 208usd -whereas an i3 2100 is 163usd-
I'm considering dropping the whole tablet thing and just go for a pseudo all in one setup with an i5 2500k or an i5 2310...with an H60 cooler.

I'll comment.

If you are using desktop hardware you are going to run into MAJOR power consumption issues. Further, you will need to replicate or steal the charging circuitry and logic, as well as the part of it that interfaces with the PC.

In reality, the touchscreen part is easy. Buy a touchscreen that interfaces via USB/VGA and wire it up.

They actually already make pretty much what you want. See this link:
http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTE...s=?CatalogCategoryID=.twQ7EN5beIAAAEyQh5UDwMX

I would recommend looking at turning a laptop into what you want, for power issues.

Yeah, seems reasonable...though I'd like to build some sort of supercharged hp touchsmart with water cooling and just use a regular slim psu in a custom enclosure and plug it to a wall. What do you think?

Just strap on one of these and you'll have enough power for it all, ultra portable as well!

steampunk_proton_pack1_thumb.jpg

Although it would an awesome device, its held back by power consumption and heat output.

Hell yeah! xD
Seems pretty portable, and i could also power my Tesla cannon (?)
:p
Back on topic, actually, I stumbled upon a CHEAP *** Asus mini max board with embedded Atom 330 dual core and Nvidia ION gpu. Maybe I could turn that thing into a tablet, comes with a laptop style power brick, built in ram, wifi and bluetooth chip!
What do you guys say?

Back on topic, actually, I stumbled upon a CHEAP *** Asus mini max board with embedded Atom 330 dual core and Nvidia ION gpu. Maybe I could turn that thing into a tablet, comes with a laptop style power brick, built in ram, wifi and bluetooth chip!
What do you guys say?

Those 330 chips are actually quite amazing, for the amount of power they consume they pack a punch. Plus they support hyperthreading!!

Hmm, I found some cheap Zotac zboxes with either atom d525 ion2 or amd e-350. I'm guessing the asus mini max 330 ion is slower than that 1.8ghz atom right?
Which combo would be stronger out of those 3?
QuadFather, i'd rather stay away from c2d or older stuff...I may end up building a desktop pc with a 3870k and no discrete graphics, or maybe wait for Ivy Bridge or Piledriver in case these mini itx thingies serve me well.
I might do some light gaming, mmorpgs, some Skyrim at lowest settings perhaps?
You tell me, what do you think?

More news...found a really good deal for a I7 2600k + P8z68v pro + 500gb hdd + 8gb 1600 cl9 ram. Might go down that route.
I'll start a new thread in case i decide to do so...stay tuned! xD
Thanks a lot!

To summarize--you're putting a touchscreen on a nice rig?

What OS are you thinking about?

It would be interesting to try that out...
I found some touchscreen add ons for regular displays. I may try those out.
I'll keep you posted.
First things first, building the rig. Then comes getting the usb touch interface for my 19" monitor.
Luckily it'll turn out fine.

Back