• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best quality build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

I am building some new machines for work, and need some advice/opinions. I'm not looking for "this is cheaper" type comments, or "what are these being used for?" I'm looking for the best quality build without going completely insane...hehe

I am not sure what type of SSD I could use. I am not up on them at all. Also I'm leaning towards XFX video cards for the warranty. Any other thoughts? Suggestions on SSD's would be great.

So far this is what I have picked out.

Processor- Core i7 3960x
Ram- Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133
HD-Cavier Black 1TB
CPU Cooler - Noctua D14 or NH-U12P
PSU - Seasonic Platinum 1000watt
Video Cards - AMD 7970 x2
MOBO - Asrock X79 Extreme 7
DVD Burners - Lite on Dvd burner, and a Blu-ray burner
Case- SilverStone TJ09

Last edited:
Thats an interesting build for work...

*No point in 2133Mhz memory for any PC that isnt benchmarked for one of its main uses.
*No point in the X of the CPU either (unless you know you are using that cache).
*For quality and reliability, Intel SSD drives.

Otherwise, looks good to me.

Processor- Core i7 3960x √
Ram- Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133 √
HD-Cavier Black 1TB √
SSD - 120 GB OCZ Vertex II
CPU Cooler - Noctua D14 or NH-U12P or Corsair H100
PSU - Seasonic Platinum 1000watt X
PSU - Corsair 850W Modular
Video Cards - AMD 7970 x2 √
MOBO - Asrock X79 Extreme 7 X
MOBO - MSI Big Bang-XPower II X79
DVD Burners - Lite on Dvd burner, and a Blu-ray burner √
Case- SilverStone TJ09 X
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932

Last edited:
Thats an interesting build for work...

*No point in 2133Mhz memory for any PC that isnt benchmarked for one of its main uses.
*No point in the X of the CPU either (unless you know you are using that cache).
*For quality and reliability, Intel SSD drives.

Otherwise, looks good to me.

I'm going to have to "test" cough couch "bench" cough it when I get it. Have to know what it is capable of.
Money isn't an issue here, so I figured I would get the best while the money is here.

Appreciate the SSD recommendation. I am lost when it comes to them.

Right, well, having the best is one thing, but paying a shed load of extra money for no reason is another (memory speed and X processor). Fiscal responsibility should impress your boss too. ;)

Good point. I may look at the 3930k and use the money saved there to grab some 256gb SSD's. Still recommend Intel for that size?

out of the 3 cooler options I would personally go with the H100.....but i like water cooling......
and the HAF case.. i wish i woulda have more cooling options (Fans) for my build...Enforcer is a little warmer than i would like....

Good point. I may look at the 3930k and use the money saved there to grab some 256gb SSD's. Still recommend Intel for that size?
Absolutely. They are not the fastest, but the quality and reliability are up there compared to OCZ especially. OCZ has supposedly fixed their FW and they are better but...

Crucial M4 should also be a consideration. I believe its also a bit faster. :thup:

Thanks. Here is my revised list of parts.

Processor- Core i7 3930k
Ram- Ripjaws Z 16gb 1600
HD- Crucial M4 256Gb SSD
HD-Cavier Black 1TB
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D14-SE2011
PSU - Seasonic Platinum 1000watt
Video Card - XFX Black Edition HD7970
MOBO - Asrock X79 Extreme 7
Blu Ray- Lite-On 12x Blu Ray burners X2
DVD- Lite-On 24X DVD Burner
Case- SilverStone TJ09

You don't need 1000W PSU for two HD 7970's :p. Assuming you're grabbing two. 850W would be a solid point to be at considering the CPU you're going to be running. (Stick to Seasonic of course though :p).

Cosmos II case! gogo! :p. (I believe the TJ10 replaced the TJ09 though? That could be another consideration.)

I have the TJ09 now, and the difference between the TJ10 is a front door which I do not want. I want access to my drives without opening a door. I don't know if it's removable...

Back