• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k choosing a motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll be buying a 2600k soon too...any good reasons not to go p8p67 instead of a p8z68 board? -it's really expensive here atm...only z68 boards I can pay would be a Biostar Tz68k+ and Gygabyte z68ma-d2h-b3.

I'll be buying a 2600k soon too...any good reasons not to go p8p67 instead of a p8z68 board? -it's really expensive here atm...only z68 boards I can pay would be a Biostar Tz68k+ and Gygabyte z68ma-d2h-b3.

the only difference is that z68 can make use of the i5/i7 intergrated graphics as far as I know. I have a p67 and it runs my i7 2600k at 4.7ghz without a fuss

I thought all p67 and z68 gygabyte and msi boards were confirmed to have an upgrade path to Ivy and pci3...I can get the z68ma one if that one gives me a better upgrade path.Thouh having an i7 2600k I doubt I'll need to upgrade too soon...that shouldn't bottleneck a kepler card also, right?

Last edited:
I believe to be able to use Ivy bridge; you need a Gen 3 motherboard with PCI-E 3.0 lanes. None of the P67 boards have PCIE 3.0 Lanes far as I know. Even a lot of the Z68 still don't have 3.0 lanes. You need to make sure they have them.. Not all models/revisions have them..

Oh, that makes a lot of sense...Would it be worth it the extra 100 bucks it would cost here?...Not too sure.Might as well grab a good new mobo once Ivy bridge gets a few steppings and mobo revisions.-thinking sandy bridge b2 mobos...yikes-

Last edited:
I believe you'll only see around 15% max gains for going Ivy bridge over Sandy.. But I'm talking rendering and such here.. I doubt there'd be any real difference for gaming.

+1 for Asrock Z68 Extreme 3

I may have gotten a good chip, but was able to hit 5.4Ghz with this mobo--AND its inexpensive!

Back