• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps, temps, temps, what temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1.25v ststem crash, these are the memory settings i used. any ideas?

Attachments

• memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 33
this is my next pull at standard stress at 4118 ghz, i seem to be at the limit on my temps unless you have ideas about what to do in the bios instead of aod, i am a newbie and can now get into the bios, i have no idea what to do in there i only know aod. but i am open to new ideas.

Attachments

• pull 4.jpg
    pull 4.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 30
this pull is 4118 mghz at high stress

Attachments

• pull 5.jpg
    pull 5.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 30
Nice overclock man, I would go with the temp of 60C in the last image ie: AOD or TMPIN2, the 48C is 12C too low. Your processor is better than mine no doubt, mine will do 4.1Ghz on 1.30V but not 4.2Ghz, so I settled for 4.0Ghz. Mine will not do 4.0Ghz on 1.275V.

this is at 4240 standard stress, if overclocking is all about passing a specific test over a specific time and not worrying about stable 24/7 i should be able to work this thing to 5ghz with proper cooling and coaching. right now i think the only thing holding me back from 4.5ghz is cooling and small adjustments.

Attachments

• pull 6.jpg
    pull 6.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 28
thanks for everyones help through all this i have learned a lot in 24 hours. do i need to drop aod and go into the bios thing from here on out? when i first built this thing i was at 77c+ and confused badly, now i know that aod reads core temp and all the others read socket temp and socket temp is of little value. i have also learned that with voltage more is not better. now i have to learn what all the other numbers in these display are and what they mean.

i know that there are services and other things i can turn off in windows that would help but i have no idea what they are, i see my idle cpu activity at 4 and five% so things are running i need to shut off. i am reading all over these forums NOT to overclock with software, do you? if so why or why not?

thanks for everyones help through all this i have learned a lot in 24 hours. do i need to drop aod and go into the bios thing from here on out? when i first built this thing i was at 77c+ and confused badly, now i know that aod reads core temp and all the others read socket temp and socket temp is of little value. i have also learned that with voltage more is not better. now i have to learn what all the other numbers in these display are and what they mean.

HWMonitor and CoreTemp also show core temps (even though CoreTemp calls it CPU temp).

There certainly can be value in knowing CPU temp:
1. If the core temp sensor is obviously calibrated incorrectly
2. If the bios has a thermal limit setting and will throttle the CPU frequenc and voltage down when a certain CPU socket temp is reached.
3. When core have been unlocked. In that case the core temp sensor is disabled and all you have to go on is the CPU socket temp. If you take note of the differential between core temp and socket temp before unlocking cores you can estimate core temp from socket temp because that differential remains fairly constant when the cores are unlocked.

Trents, where do i find these things in the bios, i found and opened it today and it sure looks full of sugary sweet toys but i don't know the fist thing in there.

this is at 4240 standard stress, if overclocking is all about passing a specific test over a specific time and not worrying about stable 24/7 i should be able to work this thing to 5ghz with proper cooling and coaching. right now i think the only thing holding me back from 4.5ghz is cooling and small adjustments.

Intelburntest is for 24/7 stable, it is a rigorous test of a CPU. What I find is as soon as the test fails (at "High" 10+ passes) I need to back off the overclock one full multiplier in order to be stable enough so it will run folding at home 24/7 without worry. If you want to check using Intelburntest for very stable without backing off then bump it up to "Max" and 25+ passes (it will take a much longer, hours). Best of luck on your quest to 5Ghz, an NH-D14, Silver Arrow or H100 might be up to the task.

psykoikonov, i got the very high setting ran last night and it took it all night to run, to pass that test on this setup i had to back down to 3.7 ghz or my overtemp warning would come on or shutdown. it looks like i cheaped out on the cooling and am paying a high price for it. i found it just a little strange thati could back the cpu voltage down and run cooler and more stable. trents statements appear to be true and seem to apply to most boards. it makes me wonder why this cpu ships with such high voltage, or is that the board maker?

i have fixed my door stop, my first build that would never bootup from last year. i took it apart and found an errant screw under the board it is a 955 so i guess i'll start on that .

psykoikonov, i got the very high setting ran last night and it took it all night to run, to pass that test on this setup i had to back down to 3.7 ghz or my overtemp warning would come on or shutdown. it looks like i cheaped out on the cooling and am paying a high price for it. i found it just a little strange thati could back the cpu voltage down and run cooler and more stable. trents statements appear to be true and seem to apply to most boards. it makes me wonder why this cpu ships with such high voltage, or is that the board maker?

I think it's the yields of the processors, I can't be sure but mine will do 4.0Ghz on stock voltage (as can yours with sufficient cooling). Mine can also be undervolted a lot at stock speeds. You could try undervolting the CPUNB as well which will also remove some heat, mine CPUNB will undervolt 0.050v and remain stable.

Trents, this was only the second time i have looked into a bios. I see all the adjustments i have been making in aod, the two things i see and are of interest are, cool and quiet witch is on and i can switch it on and off, the other is c1e witch i can switch on and off both of these are on and i wonder if turnning these off will move the heat wall a little, eg; reduce my temps a little.

Turn them all off. They can contribute to instability when overclocking because they cause swings in voltages and frequencies which get exacerbated when you depart from stock settings in the overclocking process.

in bios i turned off cool and quiet, and c1e, i added a cheap fan to help push air through the radiator and just upped the multiplyer to 4100

Attachments

• pull 7.jpg
    pull 7.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 21
only adjusted multiplyer

Attachments

• pull 8.jpg
    pull 8.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 20
Could you list your system components in some detail in your "Sig". That way it travels with every post and folks trying to help you don't have to go back to the beginning to refresh their memory concerning your hardware. Its a courtesy around here.

If AMDOD is to be trusted, your core temps are at about the limit for stability. That is if the same temperature regimes hold true for the FX chips as for the Denebs and Thubans.

What frequency are your HT Link and CPUNB at. Pics of CPU-z tab "CPU" would be nice.

Attachments

• Sig.PNG
    Sig.PNG
    136.3 KB · Views: 20
Trents, gigabyte ga-880gm board, amd fx8120, 450watt psu, 8 gigs kingston 1333 memory, i'll try to figger the sig stuff out. how am i going to fit another thing in the display?

Back