• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps, temps, temps, what temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have an FX8120, in amd overdrive what temps apply? the temps I see in the cpu status screen or those I see in board status, i can run the core temps as high as 77c all day long and the temps in board status are at 55c, witch temp reading should not exceed 60c?

Not many people use AMD Overdrive and I am suspect of its acuracy with the FX Series. New updates may have fixed it but found the temps to be reading very low. I suggest you get the latest versions of

HW Moniter

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

CPUZ

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I believe but am not sure if the new core temp is acurate now with the FX series ....

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

In HW Moniter you will need to watch the core temps. Some people get them mi9xed up with the CPU Temp witch is actually the CPU Socket temp witch is not really relevent .

so i need to reduce mt eight (4) core temps to below 62c? overdrives temp readings seem to agree with all the other monitors but i will download and check with those.

thank you for your time.

well cpuid hw monitor reads the cores 10c lower than aod eg; aod reads the cores at 23c and cpuid reads them at 12c

by the way, your dealing with a true newbie here only second build and my first that would boot!!!!!!

easy tune 6 and the biostar overclock software are displaying socket temps and so should be ignored?

CPU Socet temps are not what you want to watch. It is the core temps that you really need to keep an eye on. When you are OC'ing your CPU keep your temps below 55*C under full load with Prime95 or something similar. You will find your socket temp quite a bit hotter. It's not that they are not important but for the most part you will not need to worry about them. If you have not read it read Dolks Guild ...... our best reference.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

i just ran 15 mins at 4028 got core temps in aod of 56c and in core temp and cpuid hardware monitor 44c witch do i throw out?

i just ran 15 mins at 4028 got core temps in aod of 56c and in core temp and cpuid hardware monitor 44c witch do i throw out?

Are you running the stock OEM CPU cooler or some aftermarket goodie and what does HWMonitor say your CPU socket temps are under load? What does the biostar utility say socket temps are under load?

bass nut, that link will apply well to my first build if i ever get it to boot that one is a 955. does this info apply in some ways to the fx i have installed in this box?

Actually, I'm not sure the old rule of thumb applies for the FX series but for Phenoms, Athlon IIs and Thubans it was 55 C core temp for stability but for safety a max of 65 for either core temp or socket temp.

so i'm good with that core temps below 60c, now, witch temp monitor should i believe, aod, cpuid or easy tune?

btw, aod shuts down stability test when core temps reach 60c witch i am reaching at 4.2ghz and 1.375 volts

yes OCing the FX is very similar to the PII's and for the most part applys. My FX is offline right now as I update the cooling to a custom loop the big difference for now seems that the FX does not need as much Northbridge as the PII's do.

Trents is a much better teacher at this than I am. What you need to do is compare the different tools to see what is most consitent. I have not found anything 100% yet but have not been able to do anything with my 8120 now in about a month to compare new releases.

I am not sure how far the H60 will get you with this beast as my Antec 920 was having fun keeping up with the 8120 and some people were having similar findings with the H100 as well. I ended up dropping another 500 - 600 on a custom loop that I ahve been working on when I can find time which has been rare lately. What are you using for a stress test? If you have reached 4GHZ @ 56*C then you probably have pushed your cooling as far as it will go with the 8150. I found the FX was a little more tolerant to temps but not allot and found that once you get past 65*C on the socket was not a good thing as instability started to increase.

wprime95 v207 is one and i rum it in 257 seconds and reac 52c. i also use aod stability test for longer loads and can run it at 100% load at 4.1 ghz 24/7 and remain below 60c. this corsair h60 has a corn thrasher of a 1800rpm fan and I think that i now have an excuse to go and get a high speed high flow fan this weekend. what temp monitor do you use on your machines?

I would either add 12C onto the core temp (hardware monitor) or use the socket temp (easytune), should end up being the same number that way. Likely above 60C in either case is not a good thing. I use Intelburntest set to high for 10 or so passes.

Back