• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project] Untitled TJ07 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome build so far! I'm jealous of that undercoating, I might have to copy you.

A quick tip, If you have the time, I'd cut a notch into the side of the middle plate that will be behind the motherboard. That way, you can run PSU cables through this notch behind the motherboard tray without having much sticking out (allowing you to close your back side-panel without much issue). This is something I overlooked when I finished my build. Perhaps over the summer when I have some spare time, I'll pull the rig apart and bust out the dremel :)

I'm curious to how you plan on mounting your radiators? I had to mock up the way I mounted mine in my case (see my build log in sig) and it works well, but I feel like I could have done a better job. I've seen lots of TJ-07 builds with single/double radiators in the bottom, but no one ever puts detail into how the radiators are secured to the bottom of the case.

I didn't even check to see if I could route cable behind the motherboard tray, I kinda just assumed that I could :bang head I'll look into that tonight as well, to see what other cuts I may need to make.

I'll be using a couple of Swiftech's Rad Braces to mount the radiators to the bottom of the case. The way you mounted them works well too. Many different L-shaped pieces of metal could work to mount radiators when using fans on one side of the rad, that's basically what the rad braces are. The way you mounted them would allow push/pull if there was enough room in the bottom of the TJ07.

I didn't even check to see if I could route cable behind the motherboard tray, I kinda just assumed that I could :bang head I'll look into that tonight as well, to see what other cuts I may need to make.

I'll be using a couple of Swiftech's Rad Braces to mount the radiators to the bottom of the case. The way you mounted them works well too. Many different L-shaped pieces of metal could work to mount radiators when using fans on one side of the rad, that's basically what the rad braces are. The way you mounted them would allow push/pull if there was enough room in the bottom of the TJ07.

For your rads, there should be plenty of room for push-pull. In fact, I almost have enough room with my PA120.x's (perhaps short by a few mm).

I haven't made any cuts, and have been able to route cables, however, getting the side-panel on is a bit rough with all those wires in the way (mainly the 24-pin ATX cable, in addition to a 4-pin accessory power branch). It's definitely beneficial to just cut a 3-5cm wide notch into the middle-plate of the case to give some space to run cables between the bottom section and top section of the case behind the motherboard tray. You can see where/what I mean in this picture:

And a back shot of some of the old cable-fu:
_MG_2524p.jpg

It would be much easier to get the side-panel on (and a hell of a lot neater, to boot) if I had cut a notch in the middle plate under where the 24-pin ATX cable is running.

Edit: Another tip, give the HDD-bay/120mm intake bracket a good check for loose parts/rattles. I have one in my rig (I have updated my rig a bit since that build-log) and every now and then a really annoying, oscillating buzz occurs from somewhere within that bay. It goes away if I apply some pressure on the bay, occasionally only while I put some pressure on it, but most other times it'll go away for minutes/hours/days/weeks, etc. It tends to pop up when I change fan speeds. I'm not sure what it is, and I haven't had the chance to pull it apart and check it since I've put it in, so I'm not sure if it's something I did either (I did remove the fan grill from it for silence/airflow reasons).

Last edited:
The first three pics are of the motherboard tray I riveted back together. I was debating on getting black rivets, but I actually like the bare aluminum ones better for accents and contrast.

DSCN3485.JPG

DSCN3488.JPG

DSCN3494.JPG

The 2x120 and 4x120 rads installed in the bottom of the TJ07.

DSCN3502.JPG

These next three pics show how I used the rad braces to mount the radiators to the bottom of the TJ07. I just had to do the following:

1. Install rad brace on the radiator
  2. Set radiator+brace in the case
  3. Mark an outline of the rad brace
  4. Remove the rad brace from the radiator
  5. Set rad brace by itself into the case within your outline marks
  6. Mark where the holes are at the bottom of the case
  7. Drill holes into the bottom of the case
DSCN3506.JPG

DSCN3507.JPG

DSCN3512.JPG

Taking SolidxSnake's advice, here's the cable routing hole I cut out in the mid plate behind the motherboard tray rail.

DSCN3514.JPG

Looking great matt! You are doing a meticulous job with this. It will show when you are done! :D

Didn't get much done today. I was fighting to try to get my 3930K to boot at -116C, but it was a no go, CBB must be at a warmer temp than that.

I also found out that the on-board audio on my X79-UD3 is dead... All I get is static, whether I'm trying to play sound or not...

So, today, I sleeved my MCP35X and installed the heatsink for it:

DSCN3527.JPG

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7127817 said:
Very nice build indeed.
you um... have my attention. Sweet thread.

Thanks! :thup:

Matt, you done yet? Jk. Looks great man. The sleeving on the pump and fans looks way better then the ugly yellow, red and black wires.

Nope, not done. With the frontpage stuff and RL going on after work, I don't have a lot of time to work on this. So, I'm just going at a slow and steady pace.

My next step is sleeving my TJ07's front panel wires, all 10 of my fans, and single sleeving my entire SeaSonic Platinum 1000W. When sleeving, you really have to take your time and go slowly to get the look you want. I haven't decided on the black/gray sleeving pattern for my PSU yet... I found this random pic somewhere of some possible patterns, just have to mess around to come up with what I like best. Suggestions are welcome :D

sleeve.png

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward symmetrical as well. I'm drawing up symmetrical previews in paint, here's one with more balance between black and gray. Trying to decide whether to do more black (darker), more gray (lighter), or roughly equal of both.

2.PNG

I like those. The only change I might consider is to make the MOLEX black-gray-black-gray, but that would differ from the others' black-on-the-outside theme.

I like those. The only change I might consider is to make the MOLEX black-gray-black-gray, but that would differ from the others' black-on-the-outside theme.

I didn't do that because b-g-b-g wouldn't be symmetrical :p

I added on with colors swapped and added the b-g-b-g Molex/8-pin... I think I like the black on the outside edge better than the gray on the outside.

2.PNG

Agreed, black on outside = bad and black-gray-black-gray isn't symmetrical. Should have actually, you know, thought before I posted.

Made a couple "darker" versions of the 24-pin and SATA cables by removing 2 grays from the 24-pin and 1 gray from the SATA.

2.PNG

Agreed, black on outside = bad and black-gray-black-gray isn't symmetrical. Should have actually, you know, thought before I posted.

So you like the gray on the outside better?

Back