• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux native or VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

So, how I understand it is:
Windows>VM Linux> Native Linux.

And I know Native linux can yield nice results...

I have read on here that there can be a 20% increase in performance from Linux over Windowz, but is that just from Native Windows to Native Linux; or Native Windows running VM Linux to Native Linux?

Unless it's to hard to get a definitive answer due to the multitude of variances in peoples rigs and setups :comp:

My understanding is that VM Linux is almost as good as native Linux.

I finally got around to setting a VM Linux on my main PC, which I game on and other tasks, so I need to have Windows 7. After setting up VM Linux only for folding, I was getting better amount of PPD, only slightly.

Cool, I will still do it then... either way, its a gain, but in the end, my rig will still be on and folding... heck I gotta start parting my rig, so why not start with an old HD, slap Linux on it, and pull my GPU's... 2 SSD's and 2 GPU's can net me some nice money :)

Just a little nit to pick, it should be Native Linux>VM Linux>Windows if talking PPD.

I'm still on the fence on 4P. I can't easily part out my rigs since almost all of them have some function or another or are too old to bring in significant cash.

Cool, I will still do it then... either way, its a gain, but in the end, my rig will still be on and folding... heck I gotta start parting my rig, so why not start with an old HD, slap Linux on it, and pull my GPU's... 2 SSD's and 2 GPU's can net me some nice money :)
I highly recommend this pre-built native distro from this guy:
http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/fah-native.php

It has samba installed for monitoring and a gui interface so you can configure your folding client and the network settings via a web browser from another computer. Makes native linux folding about as easy as it gets, provided all you want to do is fold with the box. It's a stripped down version of slackware and does not include any provisions for a desktop so you wont be doing anything else with the computer.

Just a little nit to pick, it should be Native Linux>VM Linux>Windows if talking PPD.

I'm still on the fence on 4P. I can't easily part out my rigs since almost all of them have some function or another or are too old to bring in significant cash.

You could still sell the old stuff, bank the money, and whatever savings in electricity gets dumped in for an eventual newer rig. Electricity savings definitely adds up over the course of a year.

I will try this with the new build... dont need to use the native linux on my 3960 as I am parting it like a red headed step child!

I highly recommend this pre-built native distro from this guy:
http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/fah-native.php

It has samba installed for monitoring and a gui interface so you can configure your folding client and the network settings via a web browser from another computer. Makes native linux folding about as easy as it gets, provided all you want to do is fold with the box. It's a stripped down version of slackware and does not include any provisions for a desktop so you wont be doing anything else with the computer.

Thanks TC! I've been trying this out today.

Is there any way to install thekraken on it?

tap into your cyborg motherships bank account and "steal" back that number 1 spot =)

All seriousness that is the same kind of thing I am facing. I can't justify spending 4k on a machine that is ONLY for folding. All of my computers fold, but they all serve additional purposes.

Even without thekraken, going from an ubuntu intall in virtualbox where I was getting 44K on a 6903, I'm now getting 52K ppd with it on 6903.

I'm sure there is, but I haven't gotten that far with it. He does have an alternate kernel with the bfs scheduler compiled in, but that has been shown to adversely affect performance when running more than 24 threads - so not ideal for 4p systems. Anyway for the Kraken you'd just have to download his installer and then install gcc and make - which would probably have to be done manually. So far as I can tell this was based on a version of slackware, and hence uses the pkgtool to install packages with some degree of automation (although pkgtool doesn't do dependency checking like apt, deb, etc). I'll see if I can get the requisite dev tools installed and then compile and install the kraken on mine. The author has been very responsive to my questions in the past, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to drop him a note for help. I have found this to be slightly faster than other versions of linux I've tried - including most ubuntu releases. Probably due to it being stripped down with relatively few unnecessary processes. It's also worth noting this has the langouste decoupler built in (from same author as Kraken) :thup:

Last edited:
If anyone is interested I talked to the developer of this folding appliance and he compiled the kraken. I requested permission to post his download link to the binary. I just blew out the bfs patched kernel and installed the kraken to see how it fares. Here's the link to the kraken compiled for Joroen's native linux folding image:
http://www.linuxforge.net/fah/img/thekraken-0.6-x86_64-0.tar.xz

Last edited:
So how's this fah linux image working?
As in how well? For me it's the best out there both in terms of performance and ease of use. Ive been using it for the better part of a year and love it - even more with the kraken now available.

Is this all a command line OS? or is there a gui? I am a noob with running the system as a terminal... Any install to up an running tips would help.

EDIT:
Is there another download link for the USB Boot image? The file is sitting at 0% for over an hour... says 52bytes/sec

Last edited:
Back