• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE hokiealumnus Benching LIVE, Monday, January 16th @ ~9:30AM EST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will tune in for sure! Skipping school tomorrow. :thup:
Could you please tell me the correct time for my timezone(GMT+2)?
My calculations say 11:30AM, but then again - I suck at math. :shrug:

EST is GMT-5, so that will be a +7 hour difference, which would make it 4:30PM your time?

Aww I thought this was today. Oh well.

I should be able to show up from 11:30am pacific to 1:00PM pacific, that's my lunch break.
Assuming I'm not busy reviewing or some such thing.

Aww I thought this was today. Oh well.

I should be able to show up from 11:30am pacific to 1:00PM pacific, that's my lunch break.
Assuming I'm not busy reviewing or some such thing.

Today would have been nice too, but unfortunately empty dewar is empty.

Sweet!
I'll finally get to watch live instead of pre-recorded.

Why aren't you using the 7970 with the amd rig?
I know that the scores wouldn't be as good as on the intel, but it would be nice to see how different they are.

In a word: time. For HWBot benching it is fruitless to use AMD for 3D benches. With limited time and LN2, I need to optimize benches-per-liter(-per-minute).

Will be glad to have you!

Also, FWIW, that's the sort of thing you want to compare using ambient cooling. When you already know the answer, you don't want to waste LN2 reseaqrching a foregone conclusion.

I will try to stop in for a while Jeremy. Hopefully it will be nice and productive just as the last livestream you did. Always enjoy watching and learning

May I ask - what keyboard do you use on your benching setups?
As you may know I've contacted Gigabyte regarding our POST problems on the 990FXA-D3 and your UD5 and they've told me I'm transferred to the correct department that will ask me for my keyboard so they can test with it.
I figured out I could add yours too, since I've already let them know that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
Blaming it on our keyboards is bogus, but I'll let them have their fun testing so they'll stop blaming it on both of my keyboards.

Today was a very fun if only partially productive day. The 3960X was a massive fail on cold. Its 5.1GHz brick wall on water didn't move one MHz on LN2. So I just ran the Mini-Forum Wars benches and tore it down.

(htpp = hardware team power points & ugp = user global points)

3960X Benches

SuperPi 1M: 7.375s - 2.1 htpp
UC Bench: 1831.2 - 2.4 htpp
WPrime 1024M - 100.999s - 2.0 htpp / 3.8 ugp

3D Bonus Benches

3DMark03: 158711 - 2.2 htpp / 16.7 ugp
Heaven DX9: 4944.39 - 3.6 htpp

Then I tortured the hell out of the FX-8150. I mean that quite literally. It wouldn't get above 7651MHz for validation. So I ran all the benches at the highest I could.....then made it scream. It was going to give me some more megahurtz or it was going to die trying.

FX-8150 Benches

SuperPi 1M: 11.468s - 5.4 htpp
SuperPi 32M: 11:54.813 - 5.5 htpp
PiFast: 21.36s - 6.1 htpp
UC Bench: 1670 - 6.3 htpp
WPrime 32M: 4.765s - 2.9 htpp / 9.3 ugp
WPrime 1024M: 151.172s - 2.6 htpp
CPUz: 7651.2MHz - 3.6 htpp / 18.9 ugp

.....it died trying at 2.3V. RIP.

Now pictures!

3960X light freezing.

3960x-frozen-cwm.jpg

FX-8150 all kinds of frozen.

fx-8150-frozen-cwm.jpg

Cool frost formation.

fx-8150-ice-crystals-cwm.jpg

All in all a very fun day. Thanks to everyone that stopped by and watched!

Last edited:
You went on for quite some time. I can't believe you had the cajones to put 2.3v into that 8150.

Back