• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im just waitin on that tax return to hit the bank which is supposedly friday. As soon as it does ill post an update on the eta of the parts. And after they get here ill post an indepth (as i can be) follow up of the stress tests with screen shoots and details of what i run into during installation. Sorry its takin so long but i have been having to go the dentist lately so i have had the extra money to order the parts yet.

I just bought an HP 2000-361NR for $250 (with my tax return). Came with a celeron b800.. I'm excited to find out, after searching around at the HP parts site, that the motherboard, as well as heatsink and fan, is the one they use for their core i3 and core i5 model laptops (same exact HP part numbers), so this should be a simple part swap on my part without any worry of overheating. It seems to be hard to find the CPUs other than on ebay, though. Newegg only has one socket g2 cpu.

Well i fully plan on buying an es cpu off ebay. I just gotta make sure i get one with a temp probe. But if youve done your research and are still confident go for it

well on my computer its looks fairly simple! the whole bottom cover comes off . so i can see everything. i hope your installion goes good dude! i just got the return today so ill be placing my order shortly!

Just an update I've got the CPU but they sent me the wrong thermal paste so I had to ship it back but once it gets here I should be good to go

I'm really hoping this works out. I woke up to a new 5349-2635 for my bday today. I'm going to throw in a m4 and *hopefully* a 2720qm.

Does anyone know which processors are compatible with the hm65 chipset? I found a list, but want to make sure they will work in the aspire 5349, as I don't know the max TDP it supports.

Update: I talked with tech support and they said that the hm65 express chipset is not compatible to upgrade to a second gen i7.

The listing Here says different. Anyone with more experience want to chime in?

Last edited:
I talked to acer themselves and they said the microcode will support a i7 on my computer you can see the convo on page one i posted it there and the hm65 chipset its self is compatiable with the i7 what you have to worry about is that of the bios on your comp can support i think 2635 is just like my computer except you have a 500gb harddrive ill let you know first hand in a about two weeks when my thermal compound arrives and btw my
Aspire is a 5349-2592 and no offence but i really hope your wrong cause i already have my 2720qm i just dont believe 10w higher tdp will cause problems i think the 2800 series qm are 55w tdp now that could get hairy

Last edited:
Not trying to freak you out, just wanted to post my findings. I think the Acer tech support is paranoid about us swapping processors and wanting to return them under warranty if we fubar it.

I'm waiting for a fellow member with more experience to give some input, as I'm really optimistic this can be upgraded (as long as our bios supports it).

oh no doubt your right about them being paranoid the first person i talked to was so helpful! i just talked to another person well "chatted" online and they sucked horribly they didnt tell me anything that besides the two celeron processors they ship it with " they dont know about the compatiability of other processors" and that i should consult their answer from acer program which is fee based. they are just fishing for money. and i cant think of any conceivable reason why it wont work but ill post my results once i get some TIM limme know what you find and thanks dude

I *think it will be fine. I'm debating whether to wait and see your results, or impulse it and try my luck out 1st. I just ordered the 128gb crucial m4, Ill check out the cpu cooling system when I'm installing it.

Id it all depends on how confident you are about . Ill put it in as fast as i can when it cOmes in if you wanna wait

After some diliberation, I've decided to wait and see your results. I'm fairly positive it will work, but I took off the back case and took a look around yesterday to see what we're getting into. It appears as though the cooling system is very minimal, so I'm not sure how much extra heat the i7-2720qm is compared to the celeron, but it might be an issue.

Im definitely going to throw in the 128gb SSD I just purchased, and I really hope that a quad will boot in this thing, as it would make it one of the best deals around.

It would be awesome if you run cpuid and see what voltage your running before and after the swap, as well as seeing temps with coretemp for the celeron and i7. Thanks for being the guinea pig :thup:

The other feature I would like to look into is adding a bluetooth receiver internally, so I'll let you know what I find.

Lastly, I found this video from another forum on a similar subject. Make sure to check it out, as it helped me get that back cover off, and mess with the internals. Th video is at the very bottom of the page called upgrading ram tutorial.

Link to video

ive never opened another laptop infact this laptop is my first computer since i was 11. so i wouldnt know what exactly the cooling system should be or look like. is there anyway to upgrade ? ill post a thread over in the cooling section, i just asked them about ic diamond and the response was immediate and very helpful. but i really think it will handle the job you know i mean in real world use i dont think youll get crazy numbers but ill be very interested to see what itll do when stressed and honestly i wouldnt feel real comfortable if it got close to the t junction. and you know it took me a while to find that video a couple months ago. cause at first i was just gonna upgrade the ram then the need arose for my fiance needing a better computer so i instantly saw my opportunity to finally play around with some computer internals so i couldnt pass it up oh and also ill try and get some shot of cpu id up tonight of it at idle and then pegged out.

EDIT: ill add the shots later the week or next weekend she is using it to write a very important paper right now .

Last edited:
Well, the higher end laptops that come with quadcores and discrete graphics cards usually have a lot more cooling power. The heatsink that is on the 5349 has only 1 heat pipe coming from the cpu to the fan, and that isnt much. The nicer laptops I've seen have at least 3 heat pipes coming off the cpu and also a much more heavy duty fan attached to remove all the heat.

Im not positive, but im thinking the i7 is going to be considerably more hot than the celeron. I might end up going with an i5, but I anxiously await your results.

Before you start the install, take a look at the pics that I'm going to post that will explain the cpu swap. I should have them up in a day or two.

yeah now im really worried i so wish i coulda talked to you before all i got this idea but i guess its to late to stop now. is there anyway to make a custom heat pipe/fan set up?

Don't worry, as you might be one of the 1st to shoehorn one of the best mobile quads into an acer cheap-o notebook. That would be quite awesome, as all it would be missing then would be an SSD, usb 3.0, discrete graphics, higher res screen, and micro-replicator.....

Back