• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great job so far! I have had several cpus vary that much between cores, but you might want to try and reapply the tim just in case.

Also, the tim has not set yet, so those temps might come down a wee bit after it sets.

The ES chips sometimes show different model numbers of the same speed, so that isnt abnormal either.

Another suggestion is to have a laptop chillpad underneath to try and push some of that hot air up and out the heatsink.

Im just glad the darned thing works, but it's going to take some tweaking to get the temps in check so it will run full turbo.

Good job so far, homie!

definitly glad it works too and even with minimal turbo its still fast. but that was also my first thought also to check into the cooling. because i think it one of those pictures it shows that wattage drawn from the cpu and i think the highest ive seen it go is between 37-39 watts so definitly for it to hit 45w it has to turbo up to 3.3ghz. i guess im going to go bother acer about trying to get the specs on the i5 models cooling system. i didnt look real hard but im sure that there isnt an i7 15.6 aspire you know. ill definitly check into that. also on the heatsink on our acer they put some black fiber/plastic deal that like outlines the core on the actual heatsink that was a pain to get off when it comes to you doing yours make sure you have a razor blade handy they had some insane glue on it ill post a pic of in a little while showing the outline sticker thingy. im gonna let it set a week or two and see how things run with it. i used ic diamond tim and that stuff is seriously thick its more of a puddy than a grease.

yooooooooooo you are awesome scrilla..Yea give it a bit for the tim to take hold but dont expect a severe temp at idle but youll notice it with a full adobe app load. And maybe a reapply might be needed. I got some artic silver left so I hope that does the job.

Was that heatsink plastic the only obstacle in the swap??

ok so ive been looking and ive stumbled upon this website called sparepartswarehouse.com which shows alot of acer models including ours and ALOT or parts for them and there corresponding part numbers. and ive found that the i5 model i was yammering on about has the same cooling parts number as ours but i did find a i7 15.6. with a different thermal module ( im not 100% on what a thermal module is) but the model is 5750 and it only comes with discrete graphics but the fan is still in the same position as it on ours so made its parts with fit ours im not for sure though but maybe this helps

yeah that was it it was fairly easy and took no time at all beside the couple minutes needed to get the sticker of and rub it down with alcohol to get the glue of that stuff is just stupid insane i had to peel the sticker and cut the ribbons of glue coming up with it trying to run the razor under the sticker like youd normally do with any other sticker didnt get me anywhere at all. also i forgot to plug the fan back in so when i first started it up i ran prime95 and it shut off it like in 1.5 seconds good start huh

Scrilla what thermal paste did you use? One I would get is Arctic MX-4. Also no program will ever max your CPU 100% and if it does, not for very long so you guys should not worry too much. See how hot it gets after encoding a video on Vegas or doing anything that tasks the CPU. And test how hot the GPU gets while playing a game.

i Used IC Diamond i put a big ole wad but then i watched the video behappy posted and on that video the guy said he put too much and had to re do it so examined it and closely and thought that i had put a dot about as big as half the processor instead of a 1/4 of the processor so i pulled a little off the top. and put it back together. also do you know how to check and see the max ram speed supported by your mobo? im wondering cause i think the i7 will support ddr3 1600 but i think the mobo has to support it also so i want to know exactly what i need to get.

When I apply tim, I use a very small amount. Basically just enough to slightly coat the processor and fill in any irregularities on the processor surface/heat sink. That might be a reason why you have such a temp gap between cores.

I'm really hoping that we can get lower temps than that. Are you using a laptop chillpad? I know they seem cheesy, but they do work to some degree.

I will be out of town for a few days, but when I return my cpu should have arrived from Taiwan.

Now that I know we can get it up and running with the quad, I am now hoping that we will be able to use 1600 ram, and maybe throw a 580m in the old dvd bay :rolleyes:.

Yea me and behappy are also wondering about the max ram speed we can use though the 1066's i just put are doing work
Crucial has a system scanner that might tell you if the mobo/cpu combo can support 1600, give it a try
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

i will get right on that the system scanner also i do not use a laptop chillpad. i did the test in my living room with an ambient temp of around 70 i might be a lil more than that lil 72 or 3-4 you know with no real airflow at the time. also aparently this is the thermal module from the 5750 it doesnt look like itll fit but it doesnt look that far off from fitting

Attachments

• 60_RCF02_001.jpg
    60_RCF02_001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 177
  • 20110830151928_0.jpg
    20110830151928_0.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 178
That doesnt look that much better than what we have. I'm thinking we will be finre for everyday computing, and the chillpad should help out with airfllow. Well see whn I get back =)

Yeah nOt a whole lot but it really looks similiar enough that it could fit and heck its Only like 25 for that whole package so it might be fun to tinker with atleast im not dead set but im entertaining the idea ive been
Lookin for a chill pad but theres alot of them! And alot of cheapos to boot so ive been readin alot of reviews and havent found anything thats real exceptional

When I do TIM for CPU's I put a little dot in the middle and let the heatsink squeeze it out. It is the best method. I've tried spread method, I used a lot once, temps were hotter from both of those methods. Laptop CPU's are much smaller so you really have to go light on how much you use and make sure to screw on the heatsink real tight.

As for memory, Intel states it supports up to 1600mhz for the i7 2720qm CPU. Memory speed will not make much difference at all. We all get hell bent on numbers but memory speed is the last thing in your system that will help bring performance up. I've had memory at 2300mhz and it did not do anything other than synthetic benchmarks. Instead of speed go for capacity and lower voltages. Try to get 16gb if you can but 8gb will be fine for most. 1333mhz will not be a step down from 1600mhz at all in terms of real performance.

Yea spreading it out actually can thin out the grease more than it needs to be resuting in those hotter than normal temps. I go with the dot and drop method too.

And I think the 5349's max out to 8gbs though 16 would be awesome

Yeah thats what i did was dot and drop im not 100% if i used to much or not i would say the dot was REAL close tO 1/4 the size of the whole core i plan on lettin it set a while or atleast till behappy gets his done and we can compare i mean the b800 idled at 36 this one idles at 40 and regular loads around 60 and i did the crucial test and it told me 1333mhz ram maybe thats the hm65s limit like possibly could the hm67 could handle 1600 ? Yeah its states that 8gb is the limit also but that no biggy for me newegg has a crucial dual channel kit at 1.35v for 38.99 so ill probably go along with that( also i know the chipset isnt the mobo but doesnt the chipset determine alot of things to do with the mobo?)

Yeah thats what i did was dot and drop im not 100% if i used to much or not i would say the dot was REAL close tO 1/4 the size of the whole core i plan on lettin it set a while or atleast till behappy gets his done and we can compare i mean the b800 idled at 36 this one idles at 40 and regular loads around 60 and i did the crucial test and it told me 1333mhz ram maybe thats the hm65s limit like possibly could the hm67 could handle 1600 ? Yeah its states that 8gb is the limit also but that no biggy for me newegg has a crucial dual channel kit at 1.35v for 38.99 so ill probably go along with that( also i know the chipset isnt the mobo but doesnt the chipset determine alot of things to do with the mobo?)

I'm thinking that *might be too much. I know the recommended amount for desktop cpus is about the size of a single bb, so the amount for a laptop cpu must be even less. Like you said though, let it settle for now and when I get mine installed in a few days we will have something to compare it to.

Well if it is ill re-do it i didnt think id get it perfect on the first go round but if you would take a pic of the dot on the core so i could get an actual. Visual reference because maybe it didnt spread to thick around core 4 thats why it reads 36 on idle

yea that is possible so re-doing it wont hurt at all..I'll let you know how mine goes because I "should" get my i7 today but my tracking says its been delivered at 5:30am on a sunday so hopefully thats a mistake

Yea just over a grain of rice for laptops should spread nicely and I heard the same thing about the hm65 limit of 1333 and 8gigs but for now I think I will stick with the 1066's. Yea the chipset is important to determine the mobo performance specs so not only does the cpu have to be able to handle something such as a certain ram speed, the mobo has to handle it to or else it will just use the slower max speed between the 2 in this example.

Last edited:
yeah definitely a TINY bit over a grain of rice here. i was just kinda worried cause it was SO thick i thought it wouldnt spread like it was supposed to. Thats what i get for listening to my unexperienced self. Super easy fix though. i hope you got yours in today. dude. let us know how it goes.

Back