• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Screwing up is how we all learn and yo....i didnt get my cpu, apparantly it needed a signature so they brought it back to the post office so I have to get it tomorrow before work. Hell i'll prolly do the swap at work too, take some pics and post them

your job must be sweet to be able to do it at work. it just wouldnt go good for me trying to do that in my work van id lose 50 of the 90 screws out of the back cover

lol work van es no bueno for that...imma just find a desk and get to work..i keep the screws in a plastic cup so i dont lose any. After unscrewing it so many times so far I worked out a nice little system..should be able to rock this in about 20 mins, depending on how much of a ***** that heatsink plastic is

seriously razorblade and alcohol youll be done in 10 no problem like my technique was to pull a little lip up and you can see the glue strings coming with it and i used the razor blade to cut them right where the plastic meets the heatsink and it rolled right on back i mean its a pain but nothing to worry about it wont take long it just such cause you cut a lil and a lil comes up so on and so forth as long as you dont hit your fingers youll be pullin it off pretty fast i had to rub the heatsink pretty good also to get that glue residue off that just some ridiculous glue. they must have put some gorilla in it

gotta remember to take those with me tomorrow, doubt they have any of that stuff at work..well maybe some alchohol but no blades. And truthfully I think imma just unscrew it tonight and have it ready to just drop in first thing at work

you could get buy with a sharp pocket knife. but hey post some temps when you get a chance id really like to know how mine compares.

Just put my i7 in..I forgot the area on the core is a rectangle so I went with the double line method instead of dot and drop so I could cover the whole thing
Back to work for me...ill put up a few more pics when I get the chance

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 195
Did you take that screen shot like when you first loaded it o 100%? Cause if not my temps are horrible next to that

Here's a pic from the first tim job that I didnt like and running the throttlestop benchtest

The other pic is the second time around

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 155
Well looky there thats more like my temps right there ill be redoing my tim asap whats your ts bench times like? about 14 on the 32mb?

Yea might as well, since its actually easy to get to on this laptop.
On the TS bench i got a 12.579 for the 32mb

Yeah i figured you get a faster time with significantly cooler temps youll clock higher than me. Yep im gonna redo it this weekend. Where did you place your two bars?

pretty much if you split the core horizontally, you want each bar in the middle of each split
Kinda like below...Go Go Gadget ASCII

---------------
| ----------- |
| ----------- |
---------------

I went with two thin lines across the core, figured dot n dropping wouldnt cover the whole thing

man i just re-did the tim and omg was it a total wreck under there i put so much on it last time and i could clearly see how much actually remains between the sink and core so i decide to do the rice grain and so far im idling 5-6 c cooler im about to stress it in one sec. seriously i believe the tim actually created an igloo type effect around the core cause it was like
|--| that thick around the whole core took longer to clean than anything.

hmm it was running better but on prime 95 a little into it the temps started to get really high like 97c but when it was maxed too 100% i couldnt clock higher than 2.5 but i noticed when i stoped prime 95 that and it was "unloading" i guess i saw it clock up to 3.3 for a second or two when the temps droped down to below 80c it happened fast but i saw it im going to fiddle around a bit and stress it a couple more times if its keeps hittin those high temps ill assume its because i didnt put enough tim this so ill redo it again unless anyone has input before hand

yea mess with it a bit and remember that since the tim was freshly put on the temps are a bit hotter than they will be in say a week, but if youre not satisfied definitely check it out and see how much coverage you had on the core...its all a learning experience

ok well i just re-did it again and added a touch more cause i saw that there wasnt 100% percent coverage. and right now its running cool maxed out it hittin about 77-80c tops its idling about 42-44c so i must admit im happy with those numbers. the most blaringly obvious thing just hit me though about the turbo boost. is that 2.5 is about right for 4 or higher threads. i think itll only full clock to 3.3 is one a single threaded app. so there for itll be like 3.3 1 thread 3.0-2.8 2-3 threads and 2.5 on 4 or more i could guess. does that sound about right?

It's going to be a few more days until mine arrives.

What are your overall impressions of the battery life and speed of the new vs old processor?

Worth the ~$200 upgrade?

Back