• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where exactly do pop-ups come from?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darrenct

I'm not talking about the pop-ups that are attached to a web site. I'm talking about the ones that the little gremlins in the computer make appear every time I open a new page. I know there are programs to stop them, but I'm just curious as to how those things work.

I can't find anything in my startup folder, or in my registry startup key that is an add popper upper. It has me mind-boggled as to how these companies make these things work.

Could any of these be the Culprit?
tasks.jpg

The only one that I don't recognize is Core_65.exe, and if I end it, it comes back in about ten seconds. Also, I have 2 svchost.exe running. Could that have something to do with it?

Last edited:
not sure, but?

temp internet files + cookie

temp internet files + script/xcall

or if u let it downloaded program files or some temp file

usually the hang in your temp internet files (cache) and just run as part of IE so you wont see them independently

ususally they are just scripted into the page, just disable your active x and scripting in your security settings to check

Ad-aware is a great program for removing spyware - get it and see if it solves your problem!

Back