• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Much Ado About SOPA and PIPA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/28/6732624-us-goes-on-offense-against-digital-piracy

I think anything is better than what we have now. We need something to protect us because if we do not see it how do we know? The feds could run rampant because at the moment they make the rules up as they go along it seems.

I.M.O.G. if people were surfing warez links in a PM how would you know? Would it not be nice to get a letter and have a chance to fix it before the FBI banner is hung over Overclockers?

Last edited:
Don't think iNet would, wouldn't all the DNS servers simply be told to stop resolving overclockers.com into it's IP address?

Don't think iNet would, wouldn't all the DNS servers simply be told to stop resolving overclockers.com into it's IP address?

There are levels and iNET would be given a chance to come into compliance. Or at least make every effort to comply.

http://ycombinator.com/rfs9.html
Y Combinator said:
RFS 9: Kill Hollywood

Hollywood appears to have peaked. If it were an ordinary industry (film cameras, say, or typewriters), it could look forward to a couple decades of peaceful decline. But this is not an ordinary industry. The people who run it are so mean and so politically connected that they could do a lot of damage to civil liberties and the world economy on the way down. It would therefore be a good thing if competitors hastened their demise.

There are levels and iNET would be given a chance to come into compliance. Or at least make every effort to comply.

And we'd be screwed if we thought the claim was bullcrap and refused to comply. Within 5 days, our site would be taken off line by DNS from that chunk of the law I read.

Currently, with DMCA requests if we disagree we simply reply and tell them we see things differently, and apologize that we can't comply with their wishes. If they don't like that, they can sue us, then we'll comply with a legal order from the court system. This is nice for site operators, not so nice for those with copyright complaints - they have to deal with the legal system to force a company like ours to take action, which is a pain. However, I think it is a valid protection for those operating businesses.

If I understand SOPA/PIPA, it sounds like our site would be offline until we file a legal order to contest the accusation and get our DNS entries reinstated.

I.M.O.G. if people were surfing warez links in a PM how would you know? Would it not be nice to get a letter and have a chance to fix it before the FBI banner is hung over Overclockers?

PM's are entirely private, no one would know unless one of the parties reported it or were the police themselves. If there were an offense going on like that, we would receive DMCA notice and we'd comply as its against the terms of use on the site - a portion of the rules we actively enforce as most long term members have observed in the open forums. Problem solved, no threat to the existence of the site.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I don't completely understand the new laws, but I worry about how they would be enforced, and it doesn't stand to help our site, only potentially threaten it.

Last edited:
If I understand SOPA/PIPA, it sounds like our site would be offline until we file a legal order to contest the accusation and get our DNS entries reinstated.

Point well made. Lose ground being shut down while proving your point to be valid.

Well that is one legitimate strike against this I suppose.

So they can not shut us down now with what is already on the books if you refuse?

Last edited:
Point well made. Lose ground being shut down while proving your point to be valid.

Well that is one legitimate strike against this I suppose.

So they can not shut us down now with what is already on the books if you refuse?

They can shut us down, but the current system provides reasonable security for us. They have to send us a DMCA request, we have a couple weeks to respond, and if our response is not satisfactory to them, they have to go through the legal system to get a court order requiring us to take action.

Usually this involves people saying "person XYZ said ABC about us, and we believe that to be innaccurate and want it removed from your site." Typically our response is "We cannot determine the accuracy of such claims, and as our site is a publicly accessible resource, the claims are the responsibility of the individuals who made them." That's heavily paraphrased, and our response is typically slightly more professional - but thats essentially what it says. Then we don't usually hear anything further, but they could sue us at that point if they believe firmly enough that they have legal standing. Usually I don't think they do, but are hopeful sending DMCA will be enough to scare us into action - for many sites, it is enough. If they do seek legal recourse and the claims are libelous or slanderous which they want removed, the original authors could get in serious legal trouble, and we'd get a legal order to remove or amend the statements on our site - which we'd comply with unless we contested the claims.

They can shut us down, but the current system provides reasonable security for us. They have to send us a DMCA request, we have a couple weeks to respond, and if our response is not satisfactory to them, they have to go through the legal system to get a court order requiring us to take action.

Usually this involves people saying "person XYZ said ABC about us, and we believe that to be innaccurate and want it removed from your site." Typically our response is "We cannot determine the accuracy of such claims, and as our site is a publicly accessible resource, the claims are the responsibility of the individuals who made them." That's heavily paraphrased, and our response is typically slightly more professional - but thats essentially what it says. Then we don't usually hear anything further, but they could sue us at that point if they believe firmly enough that they have legal standing. Usually I don't think they do, but are hopeful sending DMCA will be enough to scare us into action - for many sites, it is enough. If they do seek legal recourse and the claims are libelous or slanderous which they want removed, the original authors could get in serious legal trouble, and we'd get a legal order to remove or amend the statements on our site - which we'd comply with unless we contested the claims.

Well perhaps they need to rip out some componrnts and clean this up a tad. Something like this is going to pass it is just a matter of when.

Well perhaps they need to rip out some componrnts and clean this up a tad. Something like this is going to pass it is just a matter of when.

Not if we continue to stand up to them. From all the stories I read, they got the message. Their email servers crashed from the traffic and their phones couldn't handle all the calls. They may be tone deaf but even they can hear all that. I know mine did. Mine even called and said we get the message. Guess he got tired of all the signed petitions, emails and calls.

:) :)

Not if we continue to stand up to them. From all the stories I read, they got the message. Their email servers crashed from the traffic and their phones couldn't handle all the calls. They may be tone deaf but even they can hear all that. I know mine did. Mine even called and said we get the message. Guess he got tired of all the signed petitions, emails and calls.

Something will pass. There are jobs at stake and there are more and more pissed off companies out there. I honestly think anyone who has issue with this that does not have a stake in it (A real one not just their opinion) really has no idea what it does. Do you know much about the dupporters of this who are trying to sell their products against knock off sold over the web? This is about more than most understand.

Something will pass. There are jobs at stake and there are more and more pissed off companies out there. I honestly think anyone who has issue with this that does not have a stake in it (A real one not just their opinion) really has no idea what it does. Do you know much about the dupporters of this who are trying to sell their products against knock off sold over the web? This is about more than most understand.

Yep it is. Thing is, this is more about freedom of speech than someone downloading a mp3.

I might also add, most hollywood types live and vote in California. That means the voters in the other 49 states can say no if they want to pass something that goes way to far. This was one of those cases.

All these people already have a way to stop people from getting their stuff. Why not just use what they already have? Oh, bad press. People stopped buying their products in protest, like I did. I haven't bought a CD in years. Why? RIAA going after people, some of which did nothing. I still remember them going after a Grandma and it turned out to be the wrong person. That was before this thing they just wanted. It would be even worse with the new bills.

I think they have enough power already. Just use it. If we keep sitting by and leting them do what they want, they will have badges and arrest powers next. Maybe even their own prisons to boot.

Yep it is. Thing is, this is more about freedom of speech than someone downloading a mp3.

I might also add, most hollywood types live and vote in California. That means the voters in the other 49 states can say no if they want to pass something that goes way to far. This was one of those cases.

All these people already have a way to stop people from getting their stuff. Why not just use what they already have? Oh, bad press. People stopped buying their products in protest, like I did. I haven't bought a CD in years. Why? RIAA going after people, some of which did nothing. I still remember them going after a Grandma and it turned out to be the wrong person. That was before this thing they just wanted. It would be even worse with the new bills.

I think they have enough power already. Just use it. If we keep sitting by and leting them do what they want, they will have badges and arrest powers next. Maybe even their own prisons to boot.

Would you have issue if they dropped the music and video from the bill?

Would you have issue if they dropped the music and video from the bill?

Then what point is the law? They already have laws to deal with this. They asked for the old laws but they got really bad press when they used it. Now they want to be able to do it quietly without going through the legal system. Then the press has very little or maybe even nothing to report other than a site is gone.

Would you want them to be able to come arrest you and take you to jail, take your house then a year or two later give you a small chance to prove you didn't even do anything? That would be after they seized your computer and did who knows what to it.

They already put their videos on youtube. Then they complain when someone watches it. Just go to youtube, search for "official" and your favorite artist. I'd be very suprised if you didn't get quite a few hits.

Then what point is the law? They already have laws to deal with this. They asked for the old laws but they got really bad press when they used it. Now they want to be able to do it quietly without going through the legal system. Then the press has very little or maybe even nothing to report other than a site is gone.

Would you want them to be able to come arrest you and take you to jail, take your house then a year or two later give you a small chance to prove you didn't even do anything? That would be after they seized your computer and did who knows what to it.

They already put their videos on youtube. Then they complain when someone watches it. Just go to youtube, search for "official" and your favorite artist. I'd be very suprised if you didn't get quite a few hits.

I have tried and tried to explain this patent infringement as well!

Look at this list and run through the names. Look at the patents and trade marks.

Companies Supporting SOPA:

1-800 Contacts, Inc.
1-800-PetMeds
2b1 Inc
3M Company
ABRO Industries, Inc.
Acushnet Company
adidas America
Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed)
Allen Russell Photography
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
Alliance of Visual Artists (AVA)
Altria Client Services
American Apparel and Footwear Association
American Association of Independent Music (A2IM)
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Federation of Musicians
American Gramaphone LLC
American Made Alliance
American Mental Health Counselors Association
American Photographic Artists
American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
American Society of Media Photographers
American Society of Picture Professionals
American Watch Association
Anatoly Pronin Photography
Andrea Rugg Photography
Anti-Counterfeiting and Piracy Initiative (ACAPI)
Applied DNA Sciences
Art Holeman Photography
Association of American Publishers (AAP)
Association of Equipment Manufacturers
Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP)
Association of Test Publishers
AstraZeneca plc
Australian Medical Council
Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association
Baker & Taylor Ent.
Bay State Psychological Associates
Beachbody, LLC
Beam Global Spirits & Wine
Blue Sky Studios, Inc.
Bose Corporation
Braasch Biotech LLC
Brian Stevenson Photography
Brigid Collins Family Support Center
Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)
Burberry
C. F. Martin & Co., Inc.
Callaway Golf Company
Cascade Designs Incorporated
Caterpillar Inc.
Caveon, LLC
CBS Corporation
Cengage Learning
Center for Credentialing & Education
Center Stage Photography
CFA Institute
Chanel USA
Christopher Semmes Photography
Church Music Publishers Association
CMH Images
Coach
Coalition Against Counterfeiting and Piracy (CACP)
Columbia Sportswear Company
Comcast Corporation
Commercial Photo Design
Commercial Photographers International
Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System
Consumer Healthcare Products Association
Copyright Alliance
Copyright Clearance Center (CCC)
Coty Inc.
Council of Fashion Designers of America
Country Music Association
CropLife America
Cross-Entertainment LLC
CSA Group
CVS Caremark
Dan Sherwood Photography
Danita Delimont Stock Photography
Dayco Products, LLC
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group
Dennyfoto
Derek DiLuzio Photography
DeVaul Photography
Direct Selling Association (DSA)
Directional Insight
Distefano Enterprises Inc.
Doriguzzi Photographic Artistry
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
Dolce & Gabbana USA, INC.
Dollar General Corporation
Don Grall Photography
Dunford Architectural Photography
Eagle Rock Entertainment
Ed McDonald Photography
Educational & Industrial Testing Service
Electronic Arts, Inc.
Electronic Components Industry Association (ECIA)
Eli Lilly and Company
Englebert Photography
Entertainment Software Association (ESA)
ERAI, Inc.
Eric Meola Studio Inc
Evidence Photographers International Council
Exxel Outdoors
FAME Publishing Co., LLC.
FAME Recording Studios
Far Bank Enterprises
Fashion Business Incorporated
Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy
Fender Musical Instrument Company
Footwear Distributors & Retailers of America (FDRA)
Ford Motor Company
Fortune Brands, Inc.
Fred J. Lord Photography
GAR Associates
Gelderland Productions, L.L.C.
Gemvision Corporation
Gibson Guitar Corp.
GlaxoSmithKline
Gospel Music Association
Governors America Corp.
Graphic Artists Guild
Greeting Card Association (GCA)
Greg Nikas Photography
Guru Denim
H.S. Marketing & Design, Inc.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
HarperCollins Publishers
Harry Fox Agency
Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
ICM Distributing Company, Inc.
IDS Publishing
IEC Electronics corp.
Images Plus
Imaging Supplies Coalition (ISC)
Independent Distributors of Electronics Association (IDEA)
INgrooves
Innate-gear
International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition (IACC)
International Trademark Association (INTA)
IPC-Association Connecting Electronics Industries
Ira Montgomery Photography
J.S. Grove Photography
James Drug Inc.
Jaynes Gallery
JCPage Photography
Jean Poland Photography
Jeff Stevensen Photography
John Fulton Photography
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Johnson & Johnson
Juicy Couture, Inc
Julien McRoberts Photography
K&R Photographics
kate spade
Kekepana International Services
Kenneth Garrett, photographer for National Geographic
Killing Jar Productions LLC
Lacoste USA
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
Lexmark International, Inc.
Light Perspectives
Linda Olsen Photography
Little Dog Records
Liz Claiborne, Inc
L’Oréal USA
Lucky Brand Jeans
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Macmillan
Major League Baseball
Marcia Andberg Associates LLC
Mark Niederman Photography
Marmot
Marona Photography
McLain Photography Inc
Merck & Co., Inc.
Messy Face Designs, Inc.
Michael Stern Photography
MicroRam Electronics, Inc.
Minter Works of Art
Mira Images
Monster Cable Products, Inc.
Moose’s Photos
Morningstar Films LLC
Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA)
MotionMasters
Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association
MPA – The Association of Magazine Media
Mr. Theodor Feibel (sole proprietor)
Music Managers Forum-U.S.
Nashville Songwriters Association International
Natalie Neckyfarow Actor/Dancer/Singer
National Association of Broadcasters
National Association of Manufacturers
National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM)
National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO)
National Basketball Association (NBA)
National Board for Certified Counselors
National Board for Certified Counselors Foundation
National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA)
National Football League (NFL)
National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA)
National Retail Federation (NRF)
NBCUniversal
Nervous Tattoo Inc., dba Ed Hardy
New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc.
New Era Cap Co Inc
New Levels Ent. Co. LLC
News Corporation
Next Decade Entertainment, Inc.
NHL Enterprises, L.P.
Nicholas Petrucci, Artist, LLC
Nike, Inc.
Nintendo of America Inc.
Nissle Fine Art Photography
North Dakota Pharmacists Association
North Dakota Pharmacy Service Corporation
Oakley, Inc.
One Voice Recordings
OpSec Security, Inc.
Outdoor Industry Association
Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI)
Outdoor Research, Inc
Pacific Component Xchange, Inc.
Party Killer Films LLC
Pearson Clinical Assessment
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Perry Ellis International
Personal Care Products Council
Peter C. Brandt, Architectural and Fine Art Photography
Peter Hawkins Photography, Inc.
Petzl America
Pfizer Inc.
PGA of America
Philip Morris International
Photojournalist Dave Bartruff
Picture Archive Council of America (PACA)
Pigfactory Music
PING
PNW Images
Premier League
Production Music Association (PMA)
Professional Photographers of America
Quality Float Works, Inc.
Raging Waters Music
Ralph Lauren Corporation
Ramsay Corporation
Rebel Photo
Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
Red4 Music/Doogs Rock Inc
Reebok International Ltd.
Reed Elsevier Inc.
Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA)
Revlon
Richard Flutie Photography
Rite Aid
Robin Davis Photography, Inc.
Rodger Scott Craig, a member of Liverpool Express, The Merseybeats, Fortune, Harlan
Cage, 101 South, and Mtunz Media
Roger Smith Photography Services
Rolex Watch USA Inc.
Romance Writers of America (RWA)
Rosetta Stone Inc.
Saddle Creek
Sage Studios LLC
Sam D’Amico Photography
Schneider Electric
Sean McGinty Photography
Secret Sea Visions (Photography)
SESAC, Inc.
SG Industries, Inc.
Shure Incorporated
SIGMA Assessment Systems
Six Degrees Records
Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council
SMC Entertainment
SMT Corp.
SoBe Entertainment
Society of Sport & Event Photographers
Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA)
Sony Electronics Inc.
Sony Music Entertainment
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Soul Appeal Records and Music
SoundExchange
Southern Gothic LLC
Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
SPI (The Plastics Industry Trade Association)
Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association
Sports Rights Owners Coalition
Spring Fever Productions LLC
Spyder Active Sports, Inc
Stenbakken Photography
Stephen Dantzig Photography
Stock Artist Alliance
Stuart Weitzman Holdings, LLC
Student Photographic Society
Studio 404
SunRise Solar Inc.
Taylor Glenn Photographs
Taylor Made Golf Company, Inc.
Tednologies, Inc.
The Cambridge Don
The Collegiate Licensing Company/IMG College
The Donath Group, Inc.
The Dow Chemical Company
The Estee Lauder Companies
The McGraw-Hill Companies
The Music People! Inc.
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
The Recording Academy (National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences)
The Timberland Company
The Walt Disney Company
Tiffany & Co.
Time Warner Inc.
Tony Bullard Photography
Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc.
TRA Global
Tricoast Worldwide
Trio Productions, Inc. / Songscape Music,
Twist & Shout, Inc.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
Universal Music Group
Uniweld Products Inc.
VF Corporation
Viacom
Vibram USA, Inc
Virtual Chip Exchange USA, Inc.
Voltage Pictures, LLC
W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.
Walcott Studio, LLC
Wal-Mart
Warner Music Group
Wendy Kaveney Photography
Western Psychological Services
Westmorland Images, LLC
Wild & Associates, Inc.
Wild Eye Photos LLC
William Sutton Photography
Willis Music
WindLegends Ink LLC
Winestem Company
Winslow Research Institute
Wolfe Video
Wolverine World Wide, Inc.
Woolrich, Inc.
World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.
Xerox Corporation
Zippo Manufacturing Company
Zumba Fitness, LLC

That is where I am going. It ain't just about movies and music.

(Some very bad words) when is it going to be clear it is not just music behind this bill.

Why Ford? Why Zippo? Why Rite Aid? Why Oakley, Inc.?

How else can it be made clear? There is much more than just the Big Record companies here.

http://www.uspto.gov/news/speeches/2011/kappos_gw.jsp

Last edited:
So then what exactly is this bill trying to protect? What are the goals that it hopes to accomplish? Is it just trying to stop us americans from buying from these illegal sites? If so, why not just list them on a website and we all agree to not buy from them because we'd be hurting our own country. I don't agree with this bill based on how it wants to enforce it's policies but that doesn't mean I disagree with what it's designed for.

I don't see why this can't be handled without censoring my intraweb.

Last edited:
Meathead, because informing the public doesn't work. Too short of an attention span and too apathetic. Something may be needed to enable these companies to better protect their IP, but informing the public wont have broad enough impact and this bill seems too broad and unspecific.

I have tried and tried to explain this patent infringement as well!

Look at this list and run through the names. Look at the patents and trade marks.

Companies Supporting SOPA:

<< SNIP ONE LONG LIST >>>

That is where I am going. It ain't just about movies and music.

(Some very bad words) when is it going to be clear it is not just music behind this bill.

Why Ford? Why Zippo? Why Rite Aid? Why Oakley, Inc.?

How else can it be made clear? There is much more than just the Big Record companies here.

http://www.uspto.gov/news/speeches/2011/kappos_gw.jsp

Why are these supporting this?

Are people losing their minds or something?

I'm just tired of the companies thinking they can run over the people. Yea, people shouldn't take companies stuff but companies shouldn't be able to run over people either. They already have more than enough laws to deal with this. Use them or maybe come up with a better plan for the business.

Oh, even if this law passes, all you have to do is type in the IP address directly. If a person uses Seamonkey, Firefox or a few other browsers, you can use keywords to type in the name of the site and they will go to the site without knowing the IP. Just bookmark the IP address instead of the name. The browser remembers the IP address but you can type in the name as a keyword. This alone renders the law null and void.

Why are these supporting this?

Are people losing their minds or something?

I'm just tired of the companies thinking they can run over the people. Yea, people shouldn't take companies stuff but companies shouldn't be able to run over people either. They already have more than enough laws to deal with this. Use them or maybe come up with a better plan for the business.

Oh, even if this law passes, all you have to do is type in the IP address directly. If a person uses Seamonkey, Firefox or a few other browsers, you can use keywords to type in the name of the site and they will go to the site without knowing the IP. Just bookmark the IP address instead of the name. The browser remembers the IP address but you can type in the name as a keyword. This alone renders the law null and void.

Many of the people on those boards hold Doctorates that they worked very hard for amd Doctors dubmit papres to these things. Many work for institutions that require them to research. There is a bunch of money going into this stuff and then to have it freely spread over the web or "SOLD" is where the issue lies.

EDIT: Thinking about this I do still support thre premise of SOPA but I think a federal blocked site list would work better. The sad thing is it only works in the US.

The FCC can figure out who is going direct by bothering the providers with it. Hey try can get daily reports at the FCC and micromanage the media theft. Because it is really not worth it they can get the media companies to pay a special tax to do it.

Last edited:
Many of the people on those boards hold Doctorates that they worked very hard for amd Doctors dubmit papres to these things. Many work for institutions that require them to research. There is a bunch of money going into this stuff and then to have it freely spread over the web or "SOLD" is where the issue lies.

EDIT: Thinking about this I do still support thre premise of SOPA but I think a federal blocked site list would work better. The sad thing is it only works in the US.

The FCC can figure out who is going direct by bothering the providers with it. Hey try can get daily reports at the FCC and micromanage the media theft. Because it is really not worth it they can get the media companies to pay a special tax to do it.

Well, another way to get around all this is a anonymizer. There are lots of them on the net. Nobody can see what is going on when you use them. The traffic is encrypted all the time from the user to the server.

Think they can shut down the anonymizer, nope. If they shut them down, people in China can't get to facebook and LOTS of other social sites. If facebook lost all those users, facebook would be in court faster than a bolt of lightning.

I wanted to see how easy it is to setup and use a anonymizer. I used Firefox since it is the most popular. I installed tor, installed the Firefox plugin for it to use tor and in about 10 minutes, I was invisible. From what I have read, if you use a tool like that, they have no idea what the traffic is. There are also other options than tor. There are lots of them.

I use Linux here and there are lots of ways to do this. All are open source and no hidden code either. Some websites do this too. I found one at http://hidemyass.com/ and it seems to work fine. Encrypted all the way and no record keeping.

I just don't see the need for any more laws. If they can use current laws to bring down megaupload then they have more than enough. It's just that they have chosen not to because the media had a field day with them going after the wrong people. Plus, we have already found not one but two ways around the new law. Use the IP address and/or a anonymizer. Use both and short of shutting down a website, you can't be stopped.

What these people need to do is update their business models. They are outdated and I think they know it.

Back