• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Much Ado About SOPA and PIPA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is that different than the great firewall?

The "green dam" (for youth guidance or some such is its full name) is a net nanny type program that is basically mandatory on pcs in China. I think there is a separate system that filters more "offensive" content on a national scale that is considered the great firewall.

Great. It's even worse than I thought...

...We put a firewall in your firewall so you can....

You get the point. Yeah, I never heard of that one before. Thanks.

good old new zealands

its funny really at the end of the day us the poeple of new zealand have had this bill spat at us for over 8 months now thanks to john key and Sir Peter Jackson. Its good to see people are trying to stop this good luck U.S.A

SOPA should be called SOAP. It lets (insert derrogatory term in plural form) with too much power effectively wash away whatever content they want and control what you see on the internet. I remember when the internet first came into being and the truly free exchange of ideas that it was supposed to represent. Damn you SOPA.

Awesome article! It's nice to see other topics on the top page here sometimes.
Kind of makes me think; A section devoted to trending popular internet topics would be kind of cool, and would give the less technical users here something to write about.

As far as SOPA and PIPA though I must say I was getting worried, I am trying to focus my carrier path along the lines of website development and administration and I really don't need something like those two to make things hard for me. There has got to be another way to deal with the issues that are really not as bad as they are made out to be.
Google already implements techniques to keep websites that do bad things from showing up in searches, why is the government not working more closely with the two big search engines?!?!? ((Microsoft & Google) Yahoo is no more...)
With all this internet scum around it is a lot harder to start a website,, but in reality the only people whining about anything are the big greedy corporations.

Last edited:
OK. They say it will stop the DNS system from resolving to sites. Could someone just type in the IP address directly? For example, this site is 69.167.156.21 and I could just bookmark it. Am I missing something?

:D :D

censored.jpg

OK. They say it will stop the DNS system from resolving to sites. Could someone just type in the IP address directly? For example, this site is 69.167.156.21 and I could just bookmark it. Am I missing something?

You are very correct! And on top of that, if it is a well-established or old website and all they do is block the FQDN the big two search engines will still crawl the site and display results in searches!!! Blew my mind one day I searched something and came across a website that did not even have a domain name, was even on the first page!!!

Search engines are sneaky smart, I have a wildcard FQDN pointing to my home internet and I find in the logs that they have spider-ed my site from my ISP's hostname, c-24-11-11-119.hsd1.mi.comcast.net No idea how the spider found that but it is kind-of scary to think they might be crawling computers that are un-intentionally displaying web-pages. Ableit takes a lot to show up within the first few thousand pages of a search if you only have an IIS or Apache welcome page going on. LOL

Last edited:
btw, feel free to use that image as much as you like, wherever you like, modify it, make your own etc.

The recourse for pirating sites, and pirates is financial recourse. I personally know several people who have been "popped" for downloading content and the recourse ordered by the court is pretty hefty (nearly $100k per copy fine as well)

If you make a website, someone steals your content, uses it illegally, or profits from it, your "recourse" is suing them. The process is already in place, has been. This is very simple.

Legislation like PIPA & SOPA are extremely dangerous for Americans, it bypasses due process and enables copyright infringement to be EXTREMELY loose in its definition. So loose in definition that "copyright infringement by association" is actually a crime punishable by law. This is one step closer to having regulated (read government dictated) media. If the internet existed during the Nazi regime they would have laws resembling this.

btw, feel free to use that image as much as you like, wherever you like, modify it, make your own etc.

Are you sure? I'd love to use that in a blog post! :thup::clap:

If you make a website, someone steals your content, uses it illegally, or profits from it, your "recourse" is suing them. The process is already in place, has been. This is very simple.

In some way I think some websites are a little too uptight about that... And on the other had there are a lot of lazy people out there that like to copy/paste everything and write nothing. All boils down to lazy un-original people trying to make money the wrong way.

Personally I could care less than to chase people down that "steal" content off my websites, they will just look obvious and bad to anyone that visits their site anyway.

You are very correct! And on top of that, if it is a well-established or old website and all they do is block the FQDN the big two search engines will still crawl the site and display results in searches!!! Blew my mind one day I searched something and came across a website that did not even have a domain name, was even on the first page!!!

Search engines are sneaky smart, I have a wildcard FQDN pointing to my home internet and I find in the logs that they have spider-ed my site from my ISP's hostname, c-24-11-11-119.hsd1.mi.comcast.net No idea how the spider found that but it is kind-of scary to think they might be crawling computers that are un-intentionally displaying web-pages. Ableit takes a lot to show up within the first few thousand pages of a search if you only have an IIS or Apache welcome page going on. LOL

That's what I was thinking. I'm just going to write down the IP for sites that I go to a lot, just in case. After all, they could be doing something wrong and not even know it. lol

Hmmm, if I run a local DNS, then I could manage that manually. I could have some that can't be changed so that even if they are removed from a public server, I would still have a local lookup. Correct?

This is so funny. Those people in Washington DC go to all the trouble of making a law and people know how to get around it before it even gets voted on. :rofl:

That's what I was thinking. I'm just going to write down the IP for sites that I go to a lot, just in case. After all, they could be doing something wrong and not even know it. lol

Hmmm, if I run a local DNS, then I could manage that manually. I could have some that can't be changed so that even if they are removed from a public server, I would still have a local lookup. Correct?

This is so funny. Those people in Washington DC go to all the trouble of making a law and people know how to get around it before it even gets voted on. :rofl:

haha! You got the idea! Both ideas you mentioned will work. In fact with Linux it is pretty easy to set up your own DNS server. Just as long as the website is not on a dynamic IP like mine is your browser will also cache the DNS resolution IP for a period of time. (the TTL value) Most websites usually have a few DNS servers already, I can't think of a good configuration other than maybe a proxy to do what you are thinking, I know there is though. ;)

haha! You got the idea! Both ideas you mentioned will work. In fact with Linux it is pretty easy to set up your own DNS server. Just as long as the website is not on a dynamic IP like mine is your browser will also cache the DNS resolution IP for a period of time. (the TTL value) Most websites usually have a few DNS servers already, I can't think of a good configuration other than maybe a proxy to do what you are thinking, I know there is though. ;)

Actually, I could just add the IP address to my hosts file. I do that with my local machines already. The sites I frequent have fixed IPs.

I'm going to play Santa. I'm making a list and checking it twice. lol

Actually, I could just add the IP address to my hosts file. I do that with my local machines already. The sites I frequent have fixed IPs.

I'm going to play Santa. I'm making a list and checking it twice. lol

I did not think about that, might make some of them load a little faster too. :thup: Only reason I run a site on a dynamic Ip is I am cheap hahaha most sites like overclockers.com here would never do that. Well maybe if they had some funky way of scaling their servers but that is usually done internally.

On the DNS subject, when this thing started gaining a little traction it was pointed out there's already a FireFox plug in developed that is capable (and I believe has a crowd sourced database available) of resolving IPs directly based on an "independent" DNS table. Personally I feel like that's all the more reason to come up with better legislation, if a lot of the people who are the problem can figure stuff like that out to circumvent it, all it will do is deny access to sites to "average joes" who may not even be looking for the content in question.

Well I entirely support things like this. There is nothing wrong with the legislation. The issue is abuse of the legislation. Everything can be abused though.

Last edited:
If any of this ever passes, there will just be other work arounds..

The reason the government might not have seen any problems:
1. Lobbyists
2. Lobbyists
3. Lobbyists

The only way to counter lobbyist, is to make the opinion upopular, therefore decreasing the government's approval rating. They (government) cannot afford any more of that, hence the pause in the legislation..

Just my opinion..

Back