• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Companies supporting SOPA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the link, GatorChamp. Interesting list

As the owner of a technology company that depends on a free and neutral internet, I oppose SOPA and related legislation as strongly as anyone. Several US-based sites we manage participated in the blackout at our urging and I encouraged my friends in the US to contact their representatives and speak out against this nefarious attempt to undermine the fundamental structure of the internet.

That said, I don't think boycotting the companies on the list is an effective method of getting their attention. Besides, are you going to not:

• Buy a car
  • Go to the doctor
  • Use any type of pharmaceutical
  • Listen to music
  • Watch a movie
  • Read a book
  • Build or buy a house
  • Make a photocopy
  • Go to School
  • Play a guitar

Doubtful. Better than simply boycotting (which is really a form of silent protest akin to a voice in the wilderness), communicate with those companies/organizations that you do business with/care about/are members of. Tell them what you think and why. Be reasonable, positive and provide options. You'll accomplish far more...

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, GatorChamp. Interesting list

As the owner of a technology company that depends on a free and neutral internet, I oppose SOPA and related legislation as strongly as anyone. Several US-based sites we manage participated in the blackout at our urging and I encouraged my friends in the US to contact their representatives and speak out against this nefarious attempt to undermine the fundamental structure of the internet.

That said, I don't think boycotting the companies on the list is an effective method of getting their attention. Besides, are you going to not:

• Buy a car
  • Go to the doctor
  • Use any type of pharmaceutical
  • Listen to music
  • Watch a movie
  • Read a book
  • Build or buy a house
  • Make a photocopy
  • Go to School
  • Play a guitar

Doubtful. Better than simply boycotting (which is really a form of silent protest akin to a voice in the wilderness), communicate with those companies/organizations that you do business with/care about/are members of. Tell them what you think and why. Be reasonable, positive and provide options. You'll accomplish far more...

I get your point, and it is a good one. Cutting companies out all together is not easy. Walmart is one of the most convenient places to shot at, but I will limit myself the best I can. I can however, not buy anymore EA games, shop at Publix (grocery store in the South East) 100% of the time for food, not buy movies put out by Paramount and do other things to limit myself using these companies. That is more so my goal.

The link the OP posted is out of date. There are a large chunk of the supporter's who have since changed there opinion. I Guess they read the bills?

The link the OP posted is out of date. There are a large chunk of the supporter's who have since changed there opinion. I Guess they read the bills?

If that one is out of date can you provide one that is up to date or said resource(s) saying companies changed their views?

If that one is out of date can you provide one that is up to date or said resource(s) saying companies changed their views?

edit: As Convicted1 pointed out, yes, the following link is NSFW. Totally slipped my mind when I posted it, and if necessary, can be removed.

http://maddox.xmission.com/

That list looks a little more up-to-date. That, along with the fact that Maddox is awesome.

Last edited:
Its very interesting those that are in support of it, most are not even companies that have anything to lose by online piracy, Its the additional riders on the bill that they are interested in such as slader and **** like that.

Its very interesting those that are in support of it, most are not even companies that have anything to lose by online piracy, Its the additional riders on the bill that they are interested in such as slader and **** like that.

Money talks, huh? Gotta love how our society is completely run from the top-down, despite what the ignorant (read: majority) think.

Ah been a while since I've been on Maddox's site.

Yes he defiantly hits the nail on the head with that one!

Realize some of this is about unity and infringement. Companies are **** of Cheap Chinese counterfeits curring into their profits. This is solidarity of the companies that are infringed upon.

Realize some of this is about unity and infringement. Companies are **** of Cheap Chinese counterfeits curring into their profits. This is solidarity of the companies that are infringed upon.

+1, I am all for eliminating piracy since it is ruining many aspects of the industry. Particularly in software, however the methods used are simply ineffective and target the wrong portions of the market.

Back