• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, how to raid (hdd only)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IJAHman

First of all I really don't know how to Raid (either 0,1,10,5 and so on).
Second, what's the best hdd for this set-up.
Third, frankly speaking right now I really can't afford SSDs, so pls :( don't tell me to use ssd instead. :D
I've got a new WD Green Cavier 1TB 6gb/s 64mb and planning to buy another one of this and go for Raid to make my storage a little bit faster.
Can you guys advice me whats the best hdd for Raid. And what Raid is the best for video editing, encoding, transferring big files etc. I mean there's Raid 0, Raid 1, Raid 10, Raid 5 there's also a Intel Matrix Storage, which of them fits my needs. Thnks in advance guys, :thup:

Last edited:
Raid 0, Raid 1 are the only types of raid array that WD will recommend a green drive for according to their product spec.

whats the best hdd for Raid = I've got a new WD Green Cavier 1TB 6gb/s 64mb and planning to buy another one of this and go for Raid =Looks like you already bought one drive and are buying another so it would not make much difference what is better. Right? Get another drive same as you already have and raid 0 them and job done.

NOTE: The GA-EP43-US3L motherboard does not have any form of onboard raid controller, so your only choice will be some form of Windows software raid or puchase an add-in raid card.

So 2 of this hdd would enough for the Raid? Whats the best Raid for my set-up? They Raid 0 is good but once it fails, it's hard to recover or can't recover your files anymore.
In your opinion, whats the best HDD for this?

NOTE: The GA-EP43-US3L motherboard does not have any form of onboard raid controller, so your only choice will be some form of Windows software raid or puchase an add-in raid card.

If you go with 4 identical drives, (or even 3) you can do a RAID-5 array and have the performance of 0 with the replication of 1.
With 4 drives though you can do a RAID-10 array or a better performing and more redundant RAID-5.

With just two drives in RAID-1 though you will notice no performance increase (if not a decrease) and RAID-0 is a risk that will only net you better speeds depending on file-size. Random read times with RAID-0 are horrible!
If you just want redundancy Windows will allow you to configure a "Software RAID-1 Array" while already installed on one drive by adding a mirror as seen in the picture I have added below.

attachment.php

NOTE: The GA-EP43-US3L motherboard does not have
any form of onboard raid controller, so your only choice will be some form of Windows software raid or puchase an add-in raid card.

My bad :bang head. I forgot to tell you that I will do this on my new rig, with Asrock xrtrm3 gen3 as my mobo. sorry...:(

My bad :bang head. I forgot to tell you that I will do this on my new rig, with Asrock xrtrm3 gen3 as my mobo. sorry...:(

Yea I would not have noticed that detail, that's why I thanked him.

That is a bummer though, on the bright side, if you buy a RAID card you will not have as big of a headache moving your array if you ever upgrade. (granted you don't need to re-install) And a dedicated RAID card will perform a lot better.
I suggest getting three identical drives and doing a RAID-5 array if you do anything though, you will be happiest with that.

Back