• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED, no Internet, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verendum

Hi, I'm typing this from m pad so please excuse any typos.

So I wake up one morning, turn on my computer and bam, no Internet, steam cant connect. Chrome says:

The web page at [address] might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

IE and Firefox also display errors. So I go on my other computers and their Internet is working fine, I go back to my computer and check the cable, it's in properly I can even connect to my hp media server on my network.

I open cmd and type ping google.com
And it replies:
Pinging google.com [74.125.237.144] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from 74.125.237.144: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=56
"
"
"

I repeat with Wikipedia.org and Facebook.com with similar results.

I run a full scan on Microsoft security essentials and it removes some suspected malware from my downloads folder, same thing happened on AVG free Internet security.

So now I have absolutely no idea what to do, I've restarted my computer several times. Any help or ideas would be Appreaciated, thanks.

Try this -

Open your network connection status. You can do this by right clicking your network connection in the system tray, beside the clock on the start bar, and clicking status. Or control panel -> network -> view your active networks -> click on your connection

click properties
then click ipv4 and click properties again
dns fix.png

then type these numbers into the DNS area
dns.PNG

see if that helps. These numbers are for the google dns servers.

Last edited:
thanks for trying but i found a fix, i opened cmd and typed
Code:
netsh winsock reset
restarted my computer and it started working again.
:D

thanks for trying but i found a fix, i opened cmd and typed
Code:
netsh winsock reset
restarted my computer and it started working again.
:D
Same problem same solution.
Thanks so much Verendum you have just saved my day.

After some further research, the netsh winsock reset command that fixed your problem effectively resets the windows socket settings of your computer's TCP/IP stack. According to this site, your TCP/IP stack may have been damaged by the installation of new networking software or malware. Did you recently install anything that connects to the internet? If so - this may have been the catalyst of your problem.

The entities within the winsock catalog are called LSPs (Layered Service Providers). These LSPs are windows .DLL files that insert themselves into your computer's TCP/IP stack in order to facilitate communication between the application(s) on your computer that are accessing the internet and internet itself. That's why when you were having troubles getting your browser to connect to the web, you were still able to ping websites via the command line.

Lesson learned!

Brian

Not sure what's going on today, but there's a ton of guests coming across this thread from Google...

Welcome guests. :welcome: Please post if you have a related question and need help!

Hi! I guess I'm one of those google users. I was in facebook, and then all of the sudden I got kicked out and I'm receiving the above message. I've tried to netsh winsock reset solution, and it hasn't helped :/ Not sure where to go from here...

Hey there!

Well to start with the easy ones, just to make sure...

If other computers on your home network also are having internet problems, I'd try a reset on the modem.

If its only your computer, I'd reboot the computer.

Did you reboot after doing the winsock reset? That part can be important.

thanks alot for that solution xD i thought that i cannot view the internet forever but when verendum post netsh winsock reset yehey !!!!!!! i can view the internet again XD thanks alot !!!!

WOW!!
Thank you so much!
It really works for me??

CAn you please explain me how? Whats de Technical Issue? and What I ve done to sort out? Curious to know?

Please!!

I'm receiving the same problem when trying to browse the internet. I tried running cmd and using the netsh vinsock reset but it keeps saying "The following command was not found" Please help :bang head

In case this doesn't work, make sure your command line is "c:/" and not "c:/user/John" (or whatever your name is.). Also, when you open cmd, make sure you "run as administrator."

In case this doesn't work, make sure your command line is "c:/" and not "c:/user/John" (or whatever your name is.). Also, when you open cmd, make sure you "run as administrator."

Good thought and I'm glad to see others trying to pitch in, however the local path doesn't matter between the user directory or root of C. Netsh is an executable that is normally located in the standard path for the Operating System (%system32%) - when running netsh at the command prompt, the system first looks in the current context of the command prompt for an executable named netsh, then it goes to user environment path variable, and finally system environment path variable. Since netsh isn't located in the user directory or the root of C, the context of the command prompt doesn't matter.

Additionally, we can rule out it being a problem where %system32% was somehow removed from the path variable, because if that were the problem the error message would state "netsh is not recognized as an internal or external command." The error message provided is actually an error message within the netsh command - so netsh is trying to run, but its being passed a sub-command that isn't recognized. (thideras was right and he's not typing winsock correctly, because that error message matches what you get when you misspell a netsh sub-command)

Hope this is helpful.

I have tried both fixes without success. I'm using wireless that shows it's connected, but web sites all show this error. I have windows firewall and mcafee installed if that makes any difference. Does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks!

Last edited:
YES!!!!

I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YA! I'm pretty good with PC's and understand how they work but this was kickin' my A**!

This happened to about 5 of my co-workers recently and the common denominator was AT&t. WE all have the same modem which recently got a firmware update pushed to it automatically. Maybe irrelevant, but just a thought.

If I sound like I have no clue with what I'm talking about...it very well could be.

lol......thanks you guys anyway!

Back