• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED, no Internet, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a quick reminder on this - if for some reason you're locked out of the administrator account, but you still have admin privileges just go to Start -> type cmd in the prompt window -> then right click the cmd icon & choose run as administrator

Hi I was just having the same problem with one website only - my 2nd own site that I had just published to host. I had published a first one a few days prior and that worked fine.
Performing that 8 8 8 8 reset as per devgoat's reply (01-22-12, 01:09 AM) did the trick.
I don't really understand what I've done there. That is to say that all the other sites in the world were working ok with the old settings so I am sorely vexed as to why only my new site needed that..
Any clues as to what I have technically done here?
Thank you.

Hi I was just having the same problem with one website only - my 2nd own site that I had just published to host. I had published a first one a few days prior and that worked fine.
Performing that 8 8 8 8 reset as per devgoat's reply (01-22-12, 01:09 AM) did the trick.
I don't really understand what I've done there. That is to say that all the other sites in the world were working ok with the old settings so I am sorely vexed as to why only my new site needed that..
Any clues as to what I have technically done here?
Thank you.
What you did in specifying DNS servers such at the 8.8.8.8 is told your PC to bypass the DNS server your internet provider is supplying you with. I prefer to use Public DNS servers like google in this case anyway. It could also be that your ISP requires time to vet new hosts (if you just stood up that website recently) and perhaps google on the other hand updates that much faster. Hard to say what really occurred there without going to your ISP and asking them the whys and hows.

Just my two cents

J :cool:

I seem to have the same problem as many others here. IE11 works, but Chrome was infected by (I believe) something called Cassiopia and will not run. I get the ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED. I have tried the solution in CMD and got all the way to the end and could not run the last command. While scrolling up I just noticed the run-as-admin reminder you gave.... I think that might be it. I am off to WINSOCK as an admin.. Thanks

Back