• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4p Supermicro H8QGL-iF Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Hyper 212 is very popular, but that bracket you need to add looks dodgy to my eyes. Have you seen Leonardo's pics of it in the case mod thread?

Yep, I have... I am just cheap. The wife liked seeing all this money come in, and no loud fans humming in the back ground, now I am just trying to get the stuff ASAP before she gets too used to it. I still may go with the Noctuas.

I got ya! :D

Time to install the Noctua's - 5 minutes, max.

Time to install the Hyper 212 - 2 hours for the first one, 30 minutes for the rest. Not including getting the brackets, and tools together. Risk of shorting out the board - unknown.

I don't believe your wife will hear either the Noctua's or the 212's fans running. Both are quiet runners.

The Hyper 212 is very popular, but that bracket you need to add looks dodgy to my eyes.
I have no comments concerning the Noctuas as I have no experience with them. But one question - will the Noctuas with fans fit the iF motherboard, specifically, the two sockets that are so close together?

Hyper 212+ mounts "dodgy?" What? :eh?: LOL Those heatsinks don't budge. It's a great mounting method. Possiblity of shorting? No. There's plenty of clearance between the retention bars and the motherboard components. Time required for setup and modifications: yes, no argument, that can take a while, including the shopping time for the hardware. If you do it right though, you don't need to remove the motherboard. I installed the retention posts top down. Of course, if your board is caseless, that's a moot point. As far as the time needed for fabrication and fitting, that was not a problem for me as I enjoy the hands-on tool time. :cool:

I have no comments concerning the Noctuas as I have no experience with them. But one question - will the Noctuas with fans fit the iF motherboard, specifically, the two sockets that are so close together?

We measured it out, as best we could, and believe they will fit. Fans would fit in a push & pull set up, on the outside of the two stacks, making a "sandwich": <fan stack stack fan> from low to high.

Here's a simple way to try it, without risk:

Order two Noctua's, when you have the mobo. Do a dry fit, and see if the spacing is OK, or not. If it is OK, you can order two more Noctua's. If not, use the Noctua's on the two cpu's that are far apart, and order two Hyper 212's for the two cpu's that are closer together.

Hyper 212+ mounts "dodgy?" What? :eh?: LOL Those heatsinks don't budge. It's a great mounting method. Possiblity of shorting? No. There's plenty of clearance between the retention bars and the motherboard components. Time required for setup and modifications: yes, no argument, that can take a while, including the shopping time for the hardware. If you do it right though, you don't need to remove the motherboard. I installed the retention posts top down. Of course, if your board is caseless, that's a moot point. As far as the time needed for fabrication and fitting, that was not a problem for me as I enjoy the hands-on tool time. :cool:

I could tell right away that you're quite handy, Leonardo. Two things though:

1) Not everybody is that handy, or has those tools.

2) I view server rigs differently than personal 1P rigs. With a personal type rig, I'll do all kinds of mods and what not. And to the case, sure - mod away. On the server mobo itself, I won't. That's a different thing. You get a short in there, and you have a 5 lb. doorstop, since the warranty is now gone.

I know a case mod could short everything out as well, but some case mods are essential in this build. We don't mention the risks on the forum much, but they are present and should be mentioned, in a build like this.

I didn't say your heatsink was not solidly attached. I meant it has a metal strip, rather close to the board components. I'm sure you did a great job with it, but I'm sure not everyone is that capable.

Order two Noctua's, when you have the mobo. Do a dry fit, and see if the spacing is OK, or not. If it is OK, you can order two more Noctua's. If not, use the Noctua's on the two cpu's that are far apart, and order two Hyper 212's for the two cpu's that are closer together.

I just ordered 4... I'll let ya know how they fit :p

I'm not trying to sell you on any mods, just trying to be accurate on what's involved with this particular board and HSF setup (212+ & 4P ~iF).
On the server mobo itself, I won't.
There is NO MOTHERBOARD modification. All mods are with the mounting hardware. OK, I feel better, pardon me for taking so much space for my Hyper 212+ discussion.

Those Noctuas look pretty serious to me (good thing). :)

So, you think I'm "handy." You'll notice I did not take any photos of the back of the case. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think your mods are fine! I would rock that too... but the waiting game and down time from not folding is helping me to sacrafice more money to stream line the assembly process. I already have to do some mods to the case for the MoBo, and adding heat sink mods to the build will cause a headache for me as I have minimal tools. But I also figured since I saved money on the Motherboard, I can add the diffrence toward the easier heat sinks :p

Steve, I just noticed your Noctua's are not the one's I gave you the measurements for. Those have 90mm fans and I don't know if they're fatter in the tower of fins part, or not.

This is the one I measured for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1132X509988X0441cc1040a0348e80198c467f847eb0

If you have a side fan on your case, or it's narrow, then keep the 90mm, because they fit better in slimmer cases. Otherwise, I'd change it before they ship, to the 120 mm version. Equal or more air at lower fan speeds.

GAH!!! I opend both links "tab by tab" and clicked back and forth bettween them like a flip book... The one I bought (thinking that it was similar) does seem wider. and the fans seem pitched diffrently...

Well, the good thing is Newegg ships fast, and my motherboard is Special Order, so I will have time to send back for an exchange.

You know what... I totally forgot to do the transaction for my part... I bought at 445. BUT, I have the email from him saying best he can do is 440, and they have an 800 number. I will give them a call tomorrow. at least it is only 20 bucks total, and not 200!

You know what... I totally forgot to do the transaction for my part... I bought at 445. BUT, I have the email from him saying best he can do is 440, and they have an 800 number. I will give them a call tomorrow. at least it is only 20 bucks total, and not 200!

Wow clicked the link and he jacked it up to $595 per CPU.

dang! Must have found this post and seen us talkin :p or they just found out that these are hot CPUs in the Distributed Computing world and know they can make a profit...

If you are reading guy... just know when you do that, people will just buy the IL with more cores... for the same price... Take that google!

dang! Must have found this post and seen us talkin :p or they just found out that these are hot CPUs in the Distributed Computing world and know they can make a profit...

If you are reading guy... just know when you do that, people will just buy the IL with more cores... for the same price... Take that google!
He's got multiple auctions for the 6174 at different prices - doesn't make sense :screwy:

$440 is a GREAT price IMO... but that's b/c I paid $479 per for my 6174s. Lookin' good Steve! :thup:

I know! the "Oh no" feeling of spending money hat left... now, the anticipation to get everything in the mail! I will take pics :p

What is this "BIOS" thing for the SuperMicro that gives you an "OC" on the 4p rigs? Will it work for the 6174? anyone have a link for info?

Back