• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4p Supermicro H8QGL-iF Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What is this "BIOS" thing for the SuperMicro that gives you an "OC" on the 4p rigs? Will it work for the 6174? anyone have a link for info?
Something a member at [H] whipped up called "juice" I'm told. It involves flashing to a custom bios, flashing the spd on your ram, and using the "juice" utility in linux to presumably adjust the clock generator or the p states of the cpus. Leonardo here gave me some details but I have yet to find any reference to it over at the [H] forums.

Last edited:
Steve, for the Supermicro G34 overclocking, you need to consult the [H] gurus. The [H]orde Folding team's IRC channel is your best bet for that. Go to their Folding forum and do a search for IRC.

Steve, for the Supermicro G34 overclocking, you need to consult the [H] gurus. The [H]orde Folding team's IRC channel is your best bet for that. Go to their Folding forum and do a search for IRC.

I wont get lynched for being on T32, right? :chair: Never dealt with anyone aside from us... only just recently started to hear about the [H] guys and the IRC channel. I'll look into it as the time draws closer... I did sign up to their forum, but am to timid to ask anything :p

Disclosure: I'm not a Team 32 or 33 member.

The H guys are a great bunch of fellows. Sure, they're fiercely competitive, and they look after their own team first, but they are resourceful and helpful.

I got my RAM and Heat sinks in today... could some one with the H8QGL-iF measure their total thickness from:

1) sink to sink at furthest point (no fan included)
2) the width of each sink
3) the gap between the two close heat sinks

gonna do some math to see if mine will fit. I still gotta pull one from the box and measure it myself.

EDIT: Better yet, I can pull one out when I get the chance shortly, and pass the thickness of them off to a volunteer to see if the thickness of two will leave a gap/space still.

Last edited:
$440 is a GREAT price IMO... but that's b/c I paid $479 per for my 6174s. Lookin' good Steve! :thup:

Burning question

How can/why are the 6174s selling for under $500 on ebay, when they are still selling Retail @ $1,239?

I swear I'm tempted to just throw caution-to-the-wind and click "buy it now" on a couple of those babies.

:popcorn:

Well that depends now... I got mine at the advertised 445 "new other" (435 after PayPal service charge refund from the seller) but instantly the guy jumped the price to 550? Right after i bought mine. If you see them anywhere in the 400 range, grab em! Also look for auctions too... I think tuigi got his for 3 something.

Edit: watch seller ratings... And also, I believe the CPUs are used even though it says new other. People I think are on the IL band wagon, and dumping MCs for cheaper... But us folders will snatch them up causing the prices to rise I think... Since the MCs with the FPUs are better/comparable to ILs

One reason is the way agencies and businesses do their budgeting. In my department, if we didn't spend all our budget for XX <something> , then it was very likely to get reduced in the next year's budget.

So savvy managers spent every last dime they were budgeted** - whether they needed it or not. Of course, it had to be on something with a plausible explanation - and new cpu's with more cores for the server, certainly fit the bill. For servers, more cores means more capacity, regardless of fewer FPU's per chip.

** Schools, and Gov't agencies are especially notorious for this.

** Schools, and Gov't agencies are especially notorious for this.

We go crazy when we get our cheese... we are always out... "Better spend it while you can boys, we may not get it until next fiscal year!".... We bleed office supplies, by yet we cannot re-allocate funds to help out for uniforms or other stuff most soldiers would actually use, LOL!

Everyone I've heard from that has tried purchasing cpu's from Ebay from a seller with a good rep, has so far, come out alright. Myself, I'd avoid those from overseas, since getting any dispute handled well, would probably be impractical.

One name that I heard had such a good rep, was LA Micro.

Last edited:
Saletoday sells for or works at IT Creations... LA area somewhere. unless its a front and it came from overseas...

Last edited:
Well that depends now... I got mine at the advertised 445 "new other" (435 after PayPal service charge refund from the seller) but instantly the guy jumped the price to 550? Right after i bought mine.
I contacted them and asked why without mentioning you. He said they're constantly getting new stock of used servers people are unloading and their cost basis determines the asking price of the cpus.

I guess that makes sense. They must be the middle man then? Sorta like a pawn shop... Buy low, sell high, make profit, then give it to PayPal and eBay for the service fees.

I still have yet opened one of my Noctuas for measurement (since I got the wider server one)... Having RL issues now... I'll post the dimensions for someone to see if it will fit, if they are down to help out with their "like" board

Well that depends now... I got mine at the advertised 445 "new other" (435 after PayPal service charge refund from the seller) but instantly the guy jumped the price to 550? Right after i bought mine. If you see them anywhere in the 400 range, grab em! Also look for auctions too... I think tuigi got his for 3 something.

Edit: watch seller ratings... And also, I believe the CPUs are used even though it says new other. People I think are on the IL band wagon, and dumping MCs for cheaper... But us folders will snatch them up causing the prices to rise I think... Since the MCs with the FPUs are better/comparable to ILs

Nope, got a quad for $470, and sniped two more at $400. Yeh prices are starting to rise backup to $500. If you don't need the processors NOW, wait til prices drop back down. The sellers will have to unload at a lower price eventually as more stock comes to market. Most folks (companies) will buy the new IL's since they are buying on the companies money, get warranty, and 16-cores is still generally better than 12-cores. Company folks do not want to deal with the hassle of having to explain to the boss why their used cpu died. Plus at $500 you are getting into new 6272 prices, which fold still fold pretty well.

My Noctuas are 2 3/4" thick... would I still have the space clearence on this board in comparison to the other Noctuas?

(i am still waiting on my board... so I cant measure myself)

Steve, I read your request for measurements in you previous post, but I didn't quite understand what you wanted. I'd be happy to make some measurements on my iF tonight when I'm home from work, but I'd need a better description of what data you need.

Back