• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia quatro 400 GPU cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ladman

Registered
I want to cool the GPU, unfortunately there is not a water block for this card yet. However i have been doing some research and found out that the GTX 460,470, and 480 are the same GPU design as the Quadro 4000.

I'm guessing i could go with a universal block for any of those three cards and it will fit the Quadro 4000?

Also not sure on this. if those three boards are like the Quadro 4000, so i only get the GPU universal block and then use the individual heat sinks all over the rest of the board. if so i found this universal block that might work : Swiftech MCW82 VGA Liquid Cooling Block

or do i use a full covering board for any of the 460,470,480 cards?

has anyone had any luck with something like this?

Last edited:
Since Quadro and FirePro cards are really not for the mainstream user I would be really surprised if we ever see FC blocks for them.

That said, a Universal block should work fine and there are many to choose from. And yes you will need to put heatsinks on the card too. Pretty much everywhere there is a thermal pad you will need to put a heatsink.

If you have the resources you can make your own block of course.

Good luck!

i dont think i will be making my own block, if i could i would be saving some money im sure.

Full cover will almost undoubtedly not work. Also, there's not much you need heatsinks on, basically just the VRMs these days (assuming water on the core that is).

so if i just use a universal block, i will not need to put those annoying little heat sinks all over it...Even better! dont know how comfortable i would be with using tape to hold those on anyway.

OK, so i think i found a universal water block for my Quadro 4000. the only thing i am unsure of is were to mount it? the Quadro has a cover with a fan on it on the top and a black square on the bottom. I would assume that you mount to the bottom. Also the Quadro 4000 has a fan on the top so do i need to get those extra heatsinks?

Here is a pic of the bottom:
Capture.jpg

here is the water block:
Capture2.jpg

were i circled in blue is were im guessing you mount the block?

Last edited:
You're gonna needa pull the fan off lol, go ahead and try and find a PCB shot from the front, it'll be the big silver thing on the opposite side from those screws you circled

That black and grey thing is going to need to come off so you can get the waterblock on, you know that, right? I'm not sure what the question is at this point...

that was pretty much my question, i did not know if the block was to get mounted to the bottom over the black rubber looking square or under the fan shroud that covers the entire top of the card.

Let me give you an example. This is a GTX580. This is a gtx580 with no shroud, fans, or heatsinks.

geforce-gtx-580.jpg

This is what everything is (sorry it's a bit crude, I just drew it up). It will be exactly the same for your card, just with a different layout on the PCB. Waterblock goes on the core, heatsinks on the VRMs and maybe ram (your call, I wouldn't bother personally, especially if the stock cooler doesn't contact them)

Awesome! That clears up everything for me. Thank you very much!

one more question, will i need a specific back plate for the block? i think the universal block i found has a mount for it, but im not sure off the top of my head

Ok, just got off the phone with PNY. told them what im looking to do and they said the going with a GForce type of block might work. However they do not recommended that i do it because it will void the warranty on it. I got a hold of an engineer for the board and he could not even tell me. Same warranty bull line i got from the other guy. oh well, guess it will just have to be a shot in the dark and hope for the best.

MFGs won't give you any sort of support for it, you want to push the gear harder, you're on your own, they only guarantee the performance written on the box, no more.

its just really funny how there is one for the 6000 and not the 4000. more people i would think buy the 4000 over the 6000 because its cheaper, so why would there not be one for the 4000. doesn't make much sense to me. :bang head

Because the Quadro cards are really not bought for consumers but businesses. And most will shell out the extra to get a better card to increase productivity in the work environment.

WC blocks are a high end part, the people who spend the $$$$ on gfx cards are the people who aren't gonna mind spending $$$ more to get them WC'd

Back